The Student Room Group

Official Midwifery 2020 applicant thread

hey guys!!
i have made a thread for midwifery applicants looking to start university in 2020. here you can share tips and any questions and personal statement advice.

What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades / BTEC:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

Open days attended:
have you done any work experience

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What universities are you thinking of: Kings college, Greenwich, city university London, Manchester, Canterbury Christ church
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades / BTEC: BTEC Health and social care D* D D
GCSE grades: A,5,4,6,5,4,5,5
Extra curriculars: Part time job, cadets, volunteering
Open days attended:none i have not attended any yet
have you done any work experience: residential home, nursery and day care center
Hi All,

I'm a mature student applying for BMid at Bangor, Chester and Shrewsbury (Via Staffordshire Uni). Application all done and reference sorted, just waiting for D-Day (in September) to pay and apply via UCAS.

I started my Midwifery degree in 2012 and completed 1.5 years, but fell pregnant and discontinued in 2014. 5 years later i'm restarting the whole thing, and feel just as nervous, if not more so. eeeek.

Does anyone one know what the process is at these universities - invited for interview/Maths/English exam etc.
Original post by RuthiePeg
Hi All,

I'm a mature student applying for BMid at Bangor, Chester and Shrewsbury (Via Staffordshire Uni). Application all done and reference sorted, just waiting for D-Day (in September) to pay and apply via UCAS.

I started my Midwifery degree in 2012 and completed 1.5 years, but fell pregnant and discontinued in 2014. 5 years later i'm restarting the whole thing, and feel just as nervous, if not more so. eeeek.

Does anyone one know what the process is at these universities - invited for interview/Maths/English exam etc.

Hi @RuthiePeg

We're excited to hear that you'll be applying to Staffs. Regarding the process, I've just dropped the course leader a quick email about this to ensure I give you the correct info - when I have it, I'll pop it back on here.

Please give me a shout if I can help with anything else.

Thanks

Amy
Hi,

It would be nice to speak to others starting in 2020, I’ve managed to find out a lot of information about the course and placements. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask

Martina
Reply 5
Original post by Martinah91
Hi,

It would be nice to speak to others starting in 2020, I’ve managed to find out a lot of information about the course and placements. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask

Martina

what universities are you looking at
Original post by shanfa
what universities are you looking at

I’m not sure really, if I decide to stay close to home, I will apply for the university of Surrey, maybe Northumbria if I decide to go further. How about you?
Reply 7
Original post by Martinah91
I’m not sure really, if I decide to stay close to home, I will apply for the university of Surrey, maybe Northumbria if I decide to go further. How about you?

Kings college, Greenwich, city university London, Manchester, Canterbury Christ church
Universities: King’s College London, UEA, York, Bangor & UCLan
A Levels: A* (Drama), A/B (Welsh), A/B (Welsh Bacc), A (AS English literature) and I have a C in AS biology!
GCSEs: A* A* A* A A A A A B B
Extra curricular/Work experience: Piano, some medical ethic court stuff, hoping to do some work experience at a hospital/999 call centre and volunteer at a neo-natal charity place!
Open Days: Chester
Whoop I've applied today. Bangor, Chester and Staffs... I am now terrified. Let the wait commence.
Whoop I've applied today. Bangor, Chester and Staffs... I am now terrified. Let the wait commence.

Original post by shanfa
hey guys!!
i have made a thread for midwifery applicants looking to start university in 2020. here you can share tips and any questions and personal statement advice.

What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades / BTEC:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

Open days attended:
have you done any work experience

Already have a degree 2:2 (marketing)

Studied 1.5 years of a midwifery degree at Cardiff (fell pregnant, got married and had another child (2 total) - time lapse of 5 years, hence the need to start from beginning).
Work experience (midwifery related): 1.5 years of course, delivered 16 babies, placements in Community, Midwifery Led Units, Labour Ward, antenatal and post natal wards during time on course at Cardiff University.

I'm hoping all this will at least get me an interview. Why am I so nervous?!!!
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @RuthiePeg

We're excited to hear that you'll be applying to Staffs. Regarding the process, I've just dropped the course leader a quick email about this to ensure I give you the correct info - when I have it, I'll pop it back on here.

Please give me a shout if I can help with anything else.

Thanks

Amy

I submitted my application via UCAS today.
Did you manage to find out any info regarding the process at interview? Are there tests?
Many thanks
Reply 12
Already have a degree 2:2 (marketing)

Studied 1.5 years of a midwifery degree at Cardiff (fell pregnant, got married and had another child (2 total) - time lapse of 5 years, hence the need to start from beginning).
Work experience (midwifery related): 1.5 years of course, delivered 16 babies, placements in Community, Midwifery Led Units, Labour Ward, antenatal and post natal wards during time on course at Cardiff University.

I'm hoping all this will at least get me an interview. Why am I so nervous?!!!

wow thats great have any tips for personal statement
Reply 13

wow thats really early well done, any tips for personal statements
Talk about any transferable communication skills and that it is woman focused care (not babies). Talk about why you want to become a midwife.Talk about related journals you have read (and continue to read). Mention some NICE guidelines around perinatal pathways or postnatal protocols to show your enthusiasm in the subject.Any mention any experiences you’ve had be it work experience, personal experiences.Hope that helps.
Original post by shanfa
wow thats really early well done, any tips for personal statements

Also apply early, many universities start offering places well before the deadline of applications!
Reply 16
ok thanks will do hopefully looking to apply before October, thanks for the info

Talk about any transferable communication skills and that it is woman focused care (not babies). Talk about why you want to become a midwife.Talk about related journals you have read (and continue to read). Mention some NICE guidelines around perinatal pathways or postnatal protocols to show your enthusiasm in the subject.Any mention any experiences you’ve had be it work experience, personal experiences.Hope that helps.

Also apply early, many universities start offering places well before the deadline of applications!
Hi @RuthiePeg

I've had a response from the Midwifery Course Leader. Hope this helps.

If you need any further information, just contact [email protected]

"Hi, I would recommend all potential applicants to attend an Open Day to gain knowledge and understanding surrounding the programme and making the best application possible.

In essence, application is through the usual UCAS process. We have two midwifery cohorts each year at the moment so applicant need to be sure which site they are making the application for their chosen site.

All applications are reviewed by a member of the midwifery academic team and suitable applicants are invited to a recruitment day. We have a number planned between Oct 19 Feb 20.

Details of admission criteria are available on our web site."

Kind regards,

^Shaun
Thanks, But that’s not what i asked.I was asking specifically at Interview (in this case the Recruitment day) is there an English and/or Math test?
(edited 4 years ago)
There two Midwifery 2020 applicant chat threads so I have merged you all together so you can find each other.

Make sure to click the blue "watch" button at the top of the thread to make sure you get notifications - if says un-watch then you're already watching the thread. :woo:

Spoiler

Quick Reply