The Student Room Group

law personal statement

I'm applying for law and i need major help with how to start the statement and structure it!!!! I've started it but i feel like its absolute waffle and i need help please!! I'm predicted all As and i really want to get into Kings or Queen Mary's

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dee002xx
I'm applying for law and i need major help with how to start the statement and structure it!!!! I've started it but i feel like its absolute waffle and i need help please!! I'm predicted all As and i really want to get into Kings or Queen Mary's

TSR do offer support for students writing personal statements, you may like to start by following this link

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/personal_statement_help
I did like the comment from one uni that applicants should "avoid the common trap of thinking that law comprises two areas only: crime and human rights" because those do seem to be the two areas that people mention over and over again on TSR, so I imagine reading about them on hundreds of personal statements does get boring.
Original post by harrysbar
I did like the comment from one uni that applicants should "avoid the common trap of thinking that law comprises two areas only: crime and human rights" because those do seem to be the two areas that people mention over and over again on TSR, so I imagine reading about them on hundreds of personal statements does get boring.

I think reading PSs of precocious and usually not very bright applicants is invariably a dull affair. No wonder Bristol law does not look at PSs no more.
Yeah, not many law grads on the team as it seems. Raises the question of who is giving advice and why should it be useful to applicants, who are trying to gain access to the elite courses.
Original post by Notoriety
I think reading PSs of precocious and usually not very bright applicants is invariably a dull affair. No wonder Bristol law does not look at PSs no more.

I wonder if more and more unis will start to move away from them until they eventually need to state "we do read personal statements" on certain courses, in the same way that they state whether they require the LNAT.
Original post by Notoriety

Do you know why?
Apparently it was after one of their Admissions team fell into a boredom induced coma after reading one too many?
Apparently it was after one of their Admissions team fell into a boredom induced coma after reading one too many?

Shame. Mine would never do that. Good thing I am not thinking of Bristol. Reading is where it is at. :wink:

Fair enough, I thought mine was sick cause I talked about random ass cases and I read it the other day and died cause it was so cringeworthy:colondollar:

But seriously, it doesn't make sense at all! I wonder why they have decided to no longer take PSs into consideration.
No; have you seen my grades? Too good for Exetah. Reading it is then.

@returnmigrant I believe said they were no longer viewed as useful. Statements often prepared mainly or wholly by teachers rather than the applicant themselves.
Original post by Aaryra
Fair enough, I thought mine was sick cause I talked about random ass cases and I read it the other day and died cause it was so cringeworthy:colondollar:

I was reading my Geography PS I wrote last year the other day and I almost died. It was so OTT. I somehow managed to sound like someone whose entire life depended on studying Geogrpahy at University. I am too good at faking interest.
I won't say RIP because I'm still hoping she'll be back soon
I won't say RIP because I'm still hoping she'll be back soon

Why did she leave anyways? No doubt sick of people who think rudeness is a personality trait. Oops I said too much.
(edited 4 years ago)
Never you, Johan. Never. You are every Law student's guardian angel. :h:
Imagine if you were writing one for a subject you actually did love!

To paraphrase @returnmigrant Bristol have decided that other things are more important than the personal statement and this is their weighting for Law Admissions

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2020/law.pdf
Reply 19

This definitely helps a lot, I mean it is such a common topic that gets spoken about so I guess it's better to steer clear of this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending