The Student Room Group

Changing A Levels advice

I chose to study both economics and German for my a levels but unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that I do not want to study either of these subjects anymore. Do you think my college would allow me to change two A Levels (I have only been studying for a few days). I am going to take history as a replacement, but I have no idea what other subject to choose, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should pick alongside history and maths?
Probably will let you. Most colleges give up to two weeks for students to change so make sure you ask your tutor as quickly as possible. Perhaps you could do business Studies or one of the sciences?
Reply 2
Original post by OR321
Probably will let you. Most colleges give up to two weeks for students to change so make sure you ask your tutor as quickly as possible. Perhaps you could do business Studies or one of the sciences?

I was thinking physics, however I was put off by many people I know saying it was way too hard and not worth it, is this true? I got 88 in my combined science GCSE so I can get on the science courses at my college.
Original post by alexandercw
I chose to study both economics and German for my a levels but unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that I do not want to study either of these subjects anymore. Do you think my college would allow me to change two A Levels (I have only been studying for a few days). I am going to take history as a replacement, but I have no idea what other subject to choose, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should pick alongside history and maths?

Like the guy above said, they should let you change. In terms of choosing your third subject, choose something that you might find useful for your university degree. And make sure you ask to change as soon as possible.
Reply 4
Original post by THALCEDONY
Like the guy above said, they should let you change. In terms of choosing your third subject, choose something that you might find useful for your university degree. And make sure you ask to change as soon as possible.

I am going to change economics to history tomorrow morning, and I am going to decide this weekend what to swap German for. I am very interested in engineering so physics would be useful for that
I was thinking physics, however I was put off by many people I know saying it was way too hard and not worth it, is this true? I got 88 in my combined science GCSE so I can get on the science courses at my college.

Not sure of physics coz I don’t do that. I did Computer Science, Maths and business at a Levels. Business was quite easy though
Reply 6
Original post by OR321
Not sure of physics coz I don’t do that. I did Computer Science, Maths and business at a Levels. Business was quite easy though

I also did computer science at GCSE and enjoyed that, is the course interesting and not too difficult as I would possibly be open to that? And also business, however I didn't study it at GCSE, is it massively different to economics?
I also did computer science at GCSE and enjoyed that, is the course interesting and not too difficult as I would possibly be open to that? And also business, however I didn't study it at GCSE, is it massively different to economics?

Computer Science at A Level is incredibly difficult however if you’re good at programming or can learn it quick, then it can be good for you. In some aspect business is similar to economics, but not a lot. You don’t need business at GCSE to do it as they teach everything from scratch.
Reply 8
Original post by OR321
Computer Science at A Level is incredibly difficult however if you’re good at programming or can learn it quick, then it can be good for you. In some aspect business is similar to economics, but not a lot. You don’t need business at GCSE to do it as they teach everything from scratch.

I will go and speak to someone about it tomorrow, I think I'm going to do physics but I want to be 100% sure before I decide so I will consider as many subjects as possible, physics, business studies and computer science seem like good choices which fit with maths and history. Thank you for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest