The Student Room Group

My parents won't help me with student finance

Hi! So it is my second year in uni and I've been trying to get my parents or at least my mum to support my application form for student finance, atm I get the lowest of the maintenance loan which I cannot do as I am moving out this year as my home life isn't the best. Am fine with having a job as well but ive tried to get a job countless of times, to help me with payments but I can't even get a interview, I have had my CV overlooked by a professional and even after that nothing. Last year my parents did the same I was asking and begging them for months then it got too late, I wasn't as bothered last year as I stayed home and I did have a job. But my parents didn't allow me to work or understood that I need to put alot of work and time into my studies (I study games and Animation) I have tried to sit down and talk them but it's always back fired and they have turned onto me. I really need to move out it isn't option not to anymore I need to for my own mental health and also if I want to be successful but I don't know where am going to get that money or if I can talk to student finance at all over this situation. I know there's being estranged, but atm I live my parents which to them makes look like am super close and everything happy when it's not, I don't even speak to them, only when I have to. Is the any advice someone can give me because am loosing all hope with this and getting stressed out.
This is a horrible situation! I’m so sorry you’re having to deal with this. I haven’t gone through anything similar but I really hope it works out for you. Make sure you contact any charities you can find who support young people “struggling” financially.
Original post by hi_imcatherine
This is a horrible situation! I’m so sorry you’re having to deal with this. I haven’t gone through anything similar but I really hope it works out for you. Make sure you contact any charities you can find who support young people “struggling” financially.

Thank you i will be fine and hopfully be able to sort something out, I will try that with the charities it never crossed my mind
Original post by hi_imcatherine

Or even see if there are any relevant charities for your degree also? Relevant experience can't hurt your CV and volunteering is the easiest way to get it- even if it's playing games with kids at a summer camp, offering marketing or creative services to a charity etc. it'd look amazing!
Original post by xox_wonderland
Or even see if there are any relevant charities for your degree also? Relevant experience can't hurt your CV and volunteering is the easiest way to get it- even if it's playing games with kids at a summer camp, offering marketing or creative services to a charity etc. it'd look amazing!

Wow that's a great idea to I didn't think I was able to do those things with my course but I will give it a shot thank you
Original post by Bluerose1998
Wow that's a great idea to I didn't think I was able to do those things with my course but I will give it a shot thank you

do you already have a student overdraft? try for hardship funds and have a big clear out of stuff you can sell before moving out
Reply 6
Hi! So it is my second year in uni and I've been trying to get my parents or at least my mum to support my application form for student finance, atm I get the lowest of the maintenance loan which I cannot do as I am moving out this year as my home life isn't the best. Am fine with having a job as well but ive tried to get a job countless of times, to help me with payments but I can't even get a interview, I have had my CV overlooked by a professional and even after that nothing. Last year my parents did the same I was asking and begging them for months then it got too late, I wasn't as bothered last year as I stayed home and I did have a job. But my parents didn't allow me to work or understood that I need to put alot of work and time into my studies (I study games and Animation) I have tried to sit down and talk them but it's always back fired and they have turned onto me. I really need to move out it isn't option not to anymore I need to for my own mental health and also if I want to be successful but I don't know where am going to get that money or if I can talk to student finance at all over this situation. I know there's being estranged, but atm I live my parents which to them makes look like am super close and everything happy when it's not, I don't even speak to them, only when I have to. Is the any advice someone can give me because am loosing all hope with this and getting stressed out.

Contact your student union, they should have someone who can give you detailed advice and contacts. And help you through the process.

No problem, you could even fit it in just one afternoon a week or one week in summer and if you're pressed for time and depending on the placement.
What kind of jobs are you applying for? McDonalds are usually always looking for staff and will give you flexible hours knowing you're a student. Same with a lot of other 'low-end' jobs if you want to call them that. Indeed usually have a lot of jobs you can apply for as well, need to try and apply for at least 10/20 to have any reasonable chance of getting an interview or phone call.

Best of luck, hope you manage to sort your situation out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending