The Student Room Group

A level options for psychology career

Hi everyone,

I want to go into a career in psychology, I’ve taken maths, further maths, biology and psychology a levels. I was considering changing further maths to chemistry as I was also looking into natural sciences at Cambridge and it was be beneficial there. I much prefer maths though so I’m really stuck on what to do.

What are the benefits of further maths?? As in what careers is it useful for? Is chemistry preferable / necessary to take natural sciences at Cambridge over further maths.

Sorry if this is confusing any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
I'm a little confused. Do you want to apply for psychology (I think it's called behavioural sciences or something) at Cambridge or Nat. Sci? Either way you could leave out psychology. You don't need it to study psych at university. Universities would be more than happy to see you have biology and math. You would need physics for Nat Sci though. Most successful applicants for Nat Sci. at Cambridge have Chemistry, Physics, Math and FM.
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS
I'm a little confused. Do you want to apply for psychology (I think it's called behavioural sciences or something) at Cambridge or Nat. Sci? Either way you could leave out psychology. You don't need it to study psych at university. Universities would be more than happy to see you have biology and math. You would need physics for Nat Sci though. Most successful applicants for Nat Sci. at Cambridge have Chemistry, Physics, Math and FM.

Ah sorry, I want to apply for psychology. However, natural sciences also looked interesting and includes psychology in year 3 (I think). But considering you said I’ll need physics then I don’t think I would be able to do natural sciences then.

Sorry I’m new to looking at degrees for university I had never even thought to do so until this week. I’m really late on it.
(edited 4 years ago)
psychological and behavioural sciences (at cambs) would probably be better if you wanted to pursue a psychological career but there's nothing stopping you from doing a natsci undergrad and a conversion degree after if that's what you want.
Original post by entertainmyfaith
psychological and behavioural sciences (at cambs) would probably be better if you wanted to pursue a psychological career but there's nothing stopping you from doing a natsci undergrad and a conversion degree after if that's what you want.

Oh ok, that makes sense I had never heard of a conversion degree before. Thanks!
Original post by penelopehills
Oh ok, that makes sense I had never heard of a conversion degree before. Thanks!

no problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest