The Student Room Group

Wanting to leave.

So, I’m on a Foundation AD course. I’m in student housing, but have ultimately decided that uni life just isn’t my thing. There are some underlying reasons too, but they’re a little more personal.

Anyway. I’m in a fixed tenancy but want to withdraw from both my course and my accommodation; the course has no fee, and if I have to keep paying rent for the Halls, I will. Is that probably the case? What’s the best course of action? Do I talk to the housing people at the college or do I speak to citizens advice?

No snarky comments, please... I’m certain on my decision, and I know I want to do this.

Thank you. :smile:
Original post by paintwater
So, I’m on a Foundation AD course. I’m in student housing, but have ultimately decided that uni life just isn’t my thing. There are some underlying reasons too, but they’re a little more personal.

Anyway. I’m in a fixed tenancy but want to withdraw from both my course and my accommodation; the course has no fee, and if I have to keep paying rent for the Halls, I will. Is that probably the case? What’s the best course of action? Do I talk to the housing people at the college or do I speak to citizens advice?

No snarky comments, please... I’m certain on my decision, and I know I want to do this.

Thank you. :smile:

Depends on your tenancy agreement and your reason for leaving plus whether the housing is linked to college or not.
When did you start the course?

At your mystery uni then you will need to withdraw formally.
You will need to speak to accommodation.
Depending on the reason they may:

1. Expect you to find a replacement.
2. Charge you a fee and let you go.

More likely to be 1.

You should also check to see whether you get charged uni fees.
Also be prepared to hand back maintenance to sfe.

You may be able to avoid, but it sounds like youve just used up your gift year finance.
It will have much bigger consequences if you find yourself in this situation again. Be warned.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Depends on your tenancy agreement and your reason for leaving plus whether the housing is linked to college or not.
When did you start the course?

At your mystery uni then you will need to withdraw formally.
You will need to speak to accommodation.
Depending on the reason they may:

1. Expect you to find a replacement.
2. Charge you a fee and let you go.

More likely to be 1.

You should also check to see whether you get charged uni fees.
Also be prepared to hand back maintenance to sfe.

You may be able to avoid, but it sounds like youve just used up your gift year finance.
It will have much bigger consequences if you find yourself in this situation again. Be warned.

Warning taken, thank you for the heads up.

I left with no troubles, no payment, and they were incredibly understanding of my situation. As they’re still taking late applicants they said there’d be no issues in them finding a replacement.

I wrote that statement in a panic, reading it back is... an experience. Could I get any more dramatic?

Quick Reply

Latest