The Student Room Group

Pre-masters for bad grades

If I had bad grades during my undergraduate studies. Should I apply for a pre masters instead of going directly to my Masters?
Reply 1
Pre masters = Uni cash grab.

Get your head together, stay focused and you can always do it part-time as well for less burden. This way you won't throw away your money (for almost nothing) because total part-time fees are (most of the time) the same as the full-time Master's fees.
Reply 2
Original post by Sentenced_to
Pre masters = Uni cash grab.

Get your head together, stay focused and you can always do it part-time as well for less burden. This way you won't throw away your money (for almost nothing) because total part-time fees are (most of the time) the same as the full-time Master's fees.

What exactly would be the difference for getting into the full time/ part time course?
Reply 3
Original post by Eliza007
What exactly would be the difference for getting into the full time/ part time course?

Instead of doing 180 Credits (Usually 120 for the tought modules + 60 for dissertation) in one year you can split them into two or more years.
I am not exaclty sure if that's what you're asking though... If you mean the application procedure, it's usually just a different tick on the application form. The full year tuittion fee is usually slpit into half for two years and further payment plans can be arranged as well...
If I had bad grades during my undergraduate studies. Should I apply for a pre masters instead of going directly to my Masters?

Usually, if you get bad grades for undergrad, you've topped out at the current level of education and you shouldn't pursue harder work. Get a job, work for 3-5 years and see if your mind has been reinvigorated as far as academic study is concerned, and consider a Masters degree then.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
Usually, if you get bad grades for undergrad, you've topped out at the current level of education and you shouldn't pursue

Original post by Sentenced_to
Instead of doing 180 Credits (Usually 120 for the tought modules + 60 for dissertation) in one year you can split them into two or more years.
I am not exaclty sure if that's what you're asking though... If you mean the application procedure, it's usually just a different tick on the application form. The full year tuittion fee is usually slpit into half for two years and further payment plans can be arranged as well...

I mean I can pay for my full masters degree...does your financial status count for much?
I mean I can pay for my full masters degree...does your financial status count for much?

As I said, no credible university will even bother you take your money if you've got a third. Somewhere right at the bottom of the rankings might, but it would have such a poor reputation it would not make up for your undergraduate degree.

Taking someone with a 3rd is just taking on board an administrative burden. Cost effective students are those that get through the course without needing any additional administrative support, such as resits, remarks, complaints, welfare issues etc. It's fine if it's a case of 'life happens' and people develop problems, but taking on a student with a 3rd at undergrad, for a Masters is just asking for trouble.
Reply 7
As I said, no credible university will even bother you take your money if you've got a third. Somewhere right at the bottom of the rankings might, but it would have such a poor reputation it would not make up for your undergraduate degree.

Taking someone with a 3rd is just taking on board an administrative burden. Cost effective students are those that get through the course without needing any additional administrative support, such as resits, remarks, complaints, welfare issues etc. It's fine if it's a case of 'life happens' and people develop problems, but taking on a student with a 3rd at undergrad, for a Masters is just asking for trouble.

My situation is that I basically studied the wrong thing basically. I also immigrated during my studies, worked and had two terminally ill family members which forced me to travel a lot.

But I’ve found a course that I’m really eager and passionate about...I also have 5 modules left on my undergraduate degree that could boost my grade...
My situation is that I basically studied the wrong thing basically. I also immigrated during my studies, worked and had two terminally ill family members which forced me to travel a lot.

But I’ve found a course that I’m really eager and passionate about...I also have 5 modules left on my undergraduate degree that could boost my grade...

Try and see what happens
Reply 9
Try and see what happens

If you don’t get accepted for your masters do the universities usually refer you to their pre masters program?
If you don’t get accepted for your masters do the universities usually refer you to their pre masters program?

Very few universities have a pre-masters programme. There isn't seen to be a stage necessary between undergrad and postgrad. A pre-masters is pretty much just a way of making money.
To be fair I disagree with that. For example Cambridge has a premasters in Business which gives you full alumni status of the university and a degree in the end. Still the requirements are pretty high tbh, 2.1 at least, relevant experience etc. But you get my point, if we are talking about Cambridge or Oxford I would definitely suggest these degrees

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending