The Student Room Group

Could this be Anoemia?

I am going to book an appointment with the doc tomorrow, but I am just curious if anybody has encountered similar experiences before or know if my symptoms match anything.

For the past week or so I keep having these strange 'attacks' if you will.
First time, I was at work and serving customers when I suddenly felt extremely nauseous and light headed, my legs turned to jelly, and my heart started having palpitations. I sat down for 10 minutes or so and sipped some water and felt well enough to carry on.

Second time, I had a bad nights sleep as I was feeling pretty nauseous all night, and upon waking up and getting ready for work I felt a repeat of the symptoms. Really sick, weak, palpitations and dizzy. I ended up getting the bus into work an hour late.

Third time was today, I had finished work and was walking around the town doing some shopping for my return to uni when I started feeling really dizzy. I hopped on the first bus home and as I sat down I again felt very nauseous, very weak and dizzy and having heart palpitations. I was near enough well again by the time I left the bus but it has all left me pretty worried about what the cause could be.

I am an otherwise healthy young man, I cycle 50 miles + per week and have no history of medical issues. I checked out Anoemia and my symptoms seem to match but Idk. I will see what the doc says but I just worry that I will have another attack before then.
Original post by Carpi123
I am going to book an appointment with the doc tomorrow, but I am just curious if anybody has encountered similar experiences before or know if my symptoms match anything.

First time, I was at work and serving customers when I suddenly felt extremely nauseous and light headed, my legs turned to jelly, and my heart started having palpitations. I sat down for 10 minutes or so and sipped some water and felt well enough to carry on.

Second time, I had a bad nights sleep as I was feeling pretty nauseous all night, and upon waking up and getting ready for work I felt a repeat of the symptoms. Really sick, weak, palpitations and dizzy. I ended up getting the bus into work an hour late.

Third time was today, I had finished work and was walking around the town doing some shopping for my return to uni when I started feeling really dizzy. I hopped on the first bus home and as I sat down I again felt very nauseous, very weak and dizzy and having heart palpitations. I was near enough well again by the time I left the bus but it has all left me pretty worried about what the cause could be.

I am an otherwise healthy young man, I cycle 50 miles + per week and have no history of medical issues. I checked out Anoemia and my symptoms seem to match but Idk. I will see what the doc says but I just worry that I will have another attack before then.

This could also be a symptom of stress ... I knew a person who used to end up writhing on the floor with attacks and it was put down to a stress triggered attack. Look at your day to day and increase your iron intake with green veggies just in case :smile:
Sounds like anxiety but could be lots of things. I don't think it sounds like anaemia though.
It could well be anaemia, your symptoms do match with quite a few of those usually observed with low iron levels. Heart palpitations, tiredness, nausea and dizziness are all commonly associated with it.

I very much doubt it's anxiety/stress related, because the way you've described it doesn't seem to match with an anxiety/panic attack and you haven't mentioned anything to suggest you feel stressed or anxious before the symptoms occur. Ultimately your GP will know best and run blood tests to confirm this.
Original post by Carpi123

Unfortunately all we can do is speculate about the causes, which won't help you. Wait and see what the doctor says, and maybe keep a diary of when this happens, what you were doing at the time etc

Quick Reply

Latest