The Student Room Group

If you mess up A levels, what to do next?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarcAndSpark
I definitely don't think retaking your A* and A grades is a good idea- it is a risk your grades would go down.

Hopefully the unis get back to you soon, but now is obviously a busy time for them!

Did your firm know about your situation in advance?

Yep, they know. I don't think they bother to keep a record, since they only took in people achieving their requirements strictly with no negotiations. I suspect they gave out too many offers and not did not have enough spaces this year to accomodate others.
Original post by harrysbar
You would need to tell Southampton that you wish to withdraw completely, and UCAS.

As an example of the 14 day rule, this is taken from the Leicester uni website

https://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/sas2/fees-and-finance/withdrawing-from-your-studies-1

Thanks for the example, i'll try looking at Southampton's policy on this!
One thing to consider is whether you can swap courses when you are there - this might be possible, its not that uncommon.
A small update: I contacted UCL regarding retakes for computer science and they responded with "we do not mind at all if you retake for Computer Science". I followed this up by asking if I would have to resit all three or I could just resit one, and they said that I could just resit one, only needing to get one more A*.
I didn't expect this response, and I still know getting an offer would be tough, since their offer rate for 2018 when I looked was only around 18%. Should I just ignore this? Or..?
I think Univeristy of Kent has vacancies for this year and maybe some others, so double check that there are none you are interested in left - you have time if you decide to go next year instead.
Original post by Martin2343
A small update: I contacted UCL regarding retakes for computer science and they responded with "we do not mind at all if you retake for Computer Science". I followed this up by asking if I would have to resit all three or I could just resit one, and they said that I could just resit one, only needing to get one more A*.
I didn't expect this response, and I still know getting an offer would be tough, since their offer rate for 2018 when I looked was only around 18%. Should I just ignore this? Or..?

I do find this response a bit surprising given their attitude to resits in the past but maybe they have softened their approach or maybe the CS department has never had a problem with it unlike other departments. If they have put it in writing in an email, I think you can be fairly confident it is true which makes it worth applying to UCL after all. It will never be easy to get an offer from UCL but don't be too put off by the low offer rate - many of the applicants will be completely unrealistic and lack the minimum requirements of the course, such as people applying without a required subject or with low academic predictions.

That’s promising and it seems like they’d definitely consider you you still might be disadvantaged but at least you know you’re not completely discounted.

@harrysbar is right about the offer rates occasionally being misleading, but again I wouldn’t put everything on getting an offer as it can be difficult as I’m sure you’re aware.

I don’t know if you’ve decided to turn down the Southampton offer or are still considering it; I imagine with how close it is to freshers now you’ve decided to turn it down.

I personally think your grades are strong enough already without the pressure of resitting but if that’s what you’ve decided to do there’s no harm in applying to UCL.

Best of luck :smile:

That’s promising and it seems like they’d definitely consider you you still might be disadvantaged but at least you know you’re not completely discounted.

@harrysbar is right about the offer rates occasionally being misleading, but again I wouldn’t put everything on getting an offer as it can be difficult as I’m sure you’re aware.

I don’t know if you’ve decided to turn down the Southampton offer or are still considering it; I imagine with how close it is to freshers now you’ve decided to turn it down.

I personally think your grades are strong enough already without the pressure of resitting but if that’s what you’ve decided to do there’s no harm in applying to UCL.

Original post by Arisapo

I've wanted to keep southampton as plan B so have still not declined it ;(
I think I'll have to reluctantly take it up, as it's the safest bet I have right now.
It was my firms freshers today and I had a close friend off to do the same course there today :/
I'm still considering my other options though. Could you elaborate on what I would do taking a gap year with the same grades?
Most of the good UK unis want A*AA for comp sci. With A*AB I don't meet most of these offers. Even Southampton for example want A*AA for their computer science course.
Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
I've wanted to keep southampton as plan B so have still not declined it ;(
I think I'll have to reluctantly take it up, as it's the safest bet I have right now.
It was my firms freshers today and I had a close friend off to do the same course there today :/
I'm still considering my other options though. Could you elaborate on what I would do taking a gap year with the same grades?
Most of the good UK unis want A*AA for comp sci. With A*AB I don't meet most of these offers. Even Southampton for example want A*AA for their computer science course.
Thanks

You still have the option to decline it, but you’re cutting it very fine. With some freshers weeks beginning next week, you really need to decide; haven’t you already bought stuff, have accommodation if you’re going to Southampton?

I think you’ve dragged it on too much now and Southampton is going to be the best bet as you’ve got a place with very good grades at a very good uni.

With the grades you’ve got, the chances of still being offered a place even with one grade below is possible. They know what you’ve achieved and are clearly capable; look at the offer rates of the ones you’re keen on and have a mix.

I’ve just looked and with Southampton’s freshers in 2 weeks time, you really need to try and decide by the end of today. Get a plan and stick to it :smile:
Original post by Arisapo
You still have the option to decline it, but you’re cutting it very fine. With some freshers weeks beginning next week, you really need to decide; haven’t you already bought stuff, have accommodation if you’re going to Southampton?

I think you’ve dragged it on too much now and Southampton is going to be the best bet as you’ve got a place with very good grades at a very good uni.

With the grades you’ve got, the chances of still being offered a place even with one grade below is possible. They know what you’ve achieved and are clearly capable; look at the offer rates of the ones you’re keen on and have a mix.

I’ve just looked and with Southampton’s freshers in 2 weeks time, you really need to try and decide by the end of today. Get a plan and stick to it :smile:

The plan was to go for Southampton and wait for remoderation results.
In the unlikely (but hopeful) case remoderation goes up and I manage to get an A for Computer Science, I would most likely reapply for 2020 with A*AAB. Issue with this is that remoderation would most likely arrive after I start at Southampton, meaning I would have to drop out.
In the case remoderation doesn't work and I don't like the course, I would again have to drop out, and then I would retake one of my a levels and hope to achieve A*A*AB (not in one sitting).
Issue with this plan is that I am assuming that southampton would only charge me first term fees for both accomodation and tuition if I were to drop out. I can take the hit on one term fees but if they're reluctant and charge me the whole year fees then that'd be an issue.
PS I'm too gutted to buy stuff for uni just yet so that wasn't an issue :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
In the unlikely (but hopeful) case remoderation goes up and I manage to get an A for Computer Science, I would most likely reapply for 2020 with A*AAB. Issue with this is that remoderation would most likely arrive after I start at Southampton, meaning I would have to drop out.
In the case remoderation doesn't work and I don't like the course, I would again have to drop out, and then I would retake one of my a levels and hope to achieve A*A*AB (not in one sitting).
Issue with this plan is that I am assuming that southampton would only charge me first term fees for both accomodation and tuition if I were to drop out. I can take the hit on one term fees but if they're reluctant and charge me the whole year fees then that'd be an issue.
PS I'm too gutted to buy stuff for uni just yet so that wasn't an issue :smile:

Judging by what you’ve said, it doesn’t seem you’re planning to go to Southampton or want to go there at all.

Regardless of your moderated marks, I would reject the place there. You’ve said yourself you’re “too gutted” to buy uni things so so the best case scenario right now I think is to just withdraw your place.

You don’t seem enthralled to be going there at all and you should be. Whether you resit or just reapply, I would decline the Southampton offer so you can think straight and have it out of the way.
Original post by Arisapo
Judging by what you’ve said, it doesn’t seem you’re planning to go to Southampton or want to go there at all.

Regardless of your moderated marks, I would reject the place there. You’ve said yourself you’re “too gutted” to buy uni things so so the best case scenario right now I think is to just withdraw your place.

You don’t seem enthralled to be going there at all and you should be. Whether you resit or just reapply, I would decline the Southampton offer so you can think straight and have it out of the way.

As much as I want to do this, I don't want to risk losing a place.
I think it's more the thought that I got there through clearing that puts me off, and it would be the same situation of reluctantly taking a "forced" gap year.
I understand I'm being picky for what my situation is, and that i've done this to myself. However, getting into the unis I wanted: Camb/Imperial/UCL/Edinburgh seems unrealistic if I were to resit or reapply.
As much as I want to do this, I don't want to risk losing a place.
I think it's more the thought that I got there through clearing that puts me off, and it would be the same situation of reluctantly taking a "forced" gap year.
I understand I'm being picky for what my situation is, and that i've done this to myself. However, getting into the unis I wanted: Camb/Imperial/UCL/Edinburgh seems unrealistic if I were to resit or reapply.

You’re going back and forwards and people are losing patience sorry to be blunt but that’s what’s occurring.

“As much as I want to do this” this implies that you don’t want to go Southampton at all and aren’t enthralled about the idea. You should be excited about going to go to uni and the fresh start but you’re acting like someone’s holding a gun against your head. The fact you’re “too gutted” to even buy your things says it all; you’ve mentally told yourself you don’t want to go and can’t motivate yourself.

If the problem is genuinely you got there through clearing, who cares? Yourself? You got A*ABB, which would be regarded as very good grades. Unless you tell people, no one will know you went through clearing. Your lecturers won’t know, your course mates won’t know and neither will your flatmates. So going through clearing makes absolutely no difference.

You’re right, getting into the likes of Cambridge, Imperial and UCL are difficult enough when you’re a first time applicant, let alone a resit candidate. They’re unlikely now I’m afraid. Going to UCL isn’t the be and end all of your job prospects, regardless of what you think.

Sorry to be so blunt but it’s frustrating considering you’ve had over 3 weeks now to weigh up your options.

I’d cancel the Southampton offer as you don’t want to go there and that’s obvious. Whether you resit or just reapply then that’s up to you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Arisapo
You’re going back and forwards and people are losing patience sorry to be blunt but that’s what’s occurring.

“As much as I want to do this” this implies that you don’t want to go Southampton at all and aren’t enthralled about the idea. You should be excited about going to go to uni and the fresh start but you’re acting like someone’s holding a gun against your head. The fact you’re “too gutted” to even buy your things says it all; you’ve mentally told yourself you don’t want to go and can’t motivate yourself.

If the problem is genuinely you got there through clearing, who cares? Yourself? You got A*ABB, which would be regarded as very good grades. Unless you tell people, no one will know you went through clearing. Your lecturers won’t know, your course mates won’t know and neither will your flatmates. So going through clearing makes absolutely no difference.

You’re right, getting into the likes of Cambridge, Imperial and UCL are difficult enough when you’re a first time applicant, let alone a resit candidate. They’re unlikely now I’m afraid. Going to UCL isn’t the be and end all of your job prospects, regardless of what you think.

Sorry to be so blunt but it’s frustrating considering you’ve had over 3 weeks now to weigh up your options.

I’d cancel the Southampton offer as you don’t want to go there and that’s obvious. Whether you resit or just reapply then that’s up to you.

Sorry about this,
It's true that i've had 3 weeks, but the situation has kept changing slowly, such as getting my remarked results and getting responses from unis about resits. I'm just as frustrated for not coming to a decision :frown:
Thanks for your suggestion; I may have made myself seem very reluctant towards Southampton, but it's mostly regret for not making one of the big 3 unis. I think I'll stick to the plan I mentioned before:

It'll give me the chance to decide for sure whether the course is truly right for me, without having to speculate it from a bias view point (of wanting to go elsewhere like my firm), though it's risky.
Thanks for your advice, and I take every bit of it on board.
Sorry about this,
It's true that i've had 3 weeks, but the situation has kept changing slowly, such as getting my remarked results and getting responses from unis about resits. I'm just as frustrated for not coming to a decision :frown:
Thanks for your suggestion; I may have made myself seem very reluctant towards Southampton, but it's mostly regret for not making one of the big 3 unis. I think I'll stick to the plan I mentioned before:

It'll give me the chance to decide for sure whether the course is truly right for me, without having to speculate it from a bias view point (of wanting to go elsewhere like my firm), though it's risky.
Thanks for your advice, and I take every bit of it on board.

Honestly, not making one of the “big 3 unis” isn’t the end of the world. I know you might think career wise you’ll be disadvantaged and you’ll get less opportunities but that definitely isn’t true. If you get a first from Southampton, which is a great uni, combined with grades of A*ABB, you’ll have plenty of chances.

I understand your plan, but right now it appears you’re going there almost for a taster session and there seems no longevity about it. If you go, at least try it for a month but if you don’t want to and it doesn’t appeal, don’t go.

You don’t want to settle there and form connections if you then decide you want to drop out as it won’t be a straightforward procedure. If you do drop out, there’s no guarantee you’ll get into UCL next year either.

So effectively, either go to Southampton now with the mentality that you’re there for 3 years and want to enjoy, succeed and make friendships there or don’t go at all and analyse your options. Which is better?
@harrysbar @Arisapo
Things have changed once again...
I got my remarked result back for Computer Science (not the remoderation I mentioned previously, this is just a remark of one paper), surprisingly I managed to go up to an A grade in Computer Science now.
I now stand at A*AAB. I have contacted my firm and am waiting for a response. It is very unlikely they will give me an offer for 2019 entry, but likely it will be a deferred entry for 2020 if they want to. (I meet my firm offer of A*AA now).
I am now unsure of what to do in the case I get a deferred entry for 2020. That is, in terms of how to go about dropping my Southampton offer (for which freshers starts on the 21st), and what I would do during this "gap year".
I would like to sit the STEP papers if I end up on a gap year, but am not sure what else I would be doing during this year.
Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I apologise for the changing circumstances, but really appreciate your advice and support throughout this.
(edited 4 years ago)
@harrysbar @Arisapo
Things have changed once again...
I got my remarked result back for Computer Science (not the remoderation I mentioned previously, this is just a remark of one paper), surprisingly I managed to go up to an A grade in Computer Science now.
I now stand at A*AAB. I have contacted my firm and am waiting for a response. It is very unlikely they will give me an offer for 2019 entry, but likely it will be a deferred entry for 2020 if they want to. (I meet my firm offer of A*AA now).
I am now unsure of what to do in the case I get a deferred entry for 2020. That is, in terms of how to go about dropping my Southampton offer (for which freshers starts on the 21st), and what I would do during this "gap year".
I would like to sit the STEP papers if I end up on a gap year, but am not sure what else I would be doing during this year.
Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I apologise for the changing circumstances, but really appreciate your advice and support throughout this.

Firstly, congratulations on the remark, that’s excellent news and as you say, you should now get a deferred offer from your Firm at the very least. At work so can’t give a long response but I think you should defo phone up Southampton now and tell them you would like to withdraw, they will talk you through it
It depends what you want to do but I'd recommend looking at an Access course. They are one/two year courses equivalent to A levels. I did one year Access course and after was able to do to uni to do a nursing degree
Original post by harrysbar
Firstly, congratulations on the remark, that’s excellent news and as you say, you should now get a deferred offer from your Firm at the very least. At work so can’t give a long response but I think you should defo phone up Southampton now and tell them you would like to withdraw, they will talk you through it

Thank a lot,
I'm just waiting for a written reply from my firm before I take any steps of withdrawing from Southampton. Hopefully I am able to come back to you having gotten a deferred entry place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending