The Student Room Group

Minimum amount of fruits and vegetables I should eat a day?

I regularly eat1 banana maybe 5 times a week and a watermelon now and then.
And I have some kind of green beans now and then with my rice. That's basically it.

Know any veg/fruit that can help my skin too? Because I have a lot of bumps on my arms, they are not like pimples and don't irritate my skin but it's just there.
Also, I have this random white patch below my eye which is also annoying.

Maybe I need more vitamins? Should I take a multivitamin pill?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The recommendation is minimum 5 helpings of fruit and veg a day so you aren't having anywhere near enough. You don't need extra vitamins if you follow a healthy balanced diet and 'eat the rainbow', which is having a variety of fruit and veg of different colours.

The white patch could have a number of causes, but the bumpy skin on your arms sound like a very common condition called keratosis pilaris (or 'chicken skin'). It's not linked to diet, more info here:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/keratosis-pilaris/

For your skin issues you should go to the doctor and get them checked out.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
The recommendation is minimum 5 helpings of fruit and veg a day so you aren't having anywhere near enough. You don't need extra vitamins if you follow a healthy balanced diet and 'eat the rainbow', which is having a variety of fruit and veg of different colours.

The white patch could have a number of causes, but the bumpy skin on your arms sound like a very common condition called keratosis pilaris (or 'chicken skin'). It's not linked to diet, more info here:

Thank u so much :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia

What would you say 5 fruits and 5 veg should be to eat a day?
Original post by Anonymous
What would you say 5 fruits and 5 veg should be to eat a day?

5 in total
5 is the standard, but considering most people barely seem to eat 2, anything above that would put you above average I guess?
I don't eat any fruit or veg and tbh I'm fine, I study maths and physics with no problems and I can exercise and be happy with the only problem is my teeth aren't perfect but apart from that I'm fine.
i don't eat any! hasn't done me any harm.
I don't eat any fruit or veg and tbh I'm fine, I study maths and physics with no problems and I can exercise and be happy with the only problem is my teeth aren't perfect but apart from that I'm fine.

You may feel fine, but your body won't be happy on the inside. Please try to eat at least some fruit and veg.
I regularly eat1 banana maybe 5 times a week and a watermelon now and then.
And I have some kind of green beans now and then with my rice. That's basically it.

Know any veg/fruit that can help my skin too? Because I have a lot of bumps on my arms, they are not like pimples and don't irritate my skin but it's just there.
Also, I have this random white patch below my eye which is also annoying.

Maybe I need more vitamins? Should I take a multivitamin pill?

You don't need to take vitamin tablets if you're eating correctly. Simply add more fruits and veggies to your diet. Instead of having a packet of crisps for a snack, have some fruit. Instead of having an extra portion of chips with your dinner, have some carrots.
Original post by LadyMcCartney4

Rebel :colone:
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
Rebel :colone:

haha i know. years of my mom and my school force feeding me fruit and vegetables has sort of turned me against them.
haha i know. years of my mom and my school force feeding me fruit and vegetables has sort of turned me against them.

Blame the system they did this to us :mob:

Haha I get you :lol:

You won't be saying that if you get bowel cancer...
Blame the system they did this to us :mob:

Haha I get you :lol:

God I know right :eek:
Original post by black tea
You won't be saying that if you get bowel cancer...

meh. everyone has to die of something.

For now you are fine. The problems will happen when you are older.
God I know right :eek:

I think it’s time we sue them :rofl:

meh. everyone has to die of something.

:toofunny: :congrats:
I think it’s time we sue them :rofl:

:toofunny: :congrats:

my school wouldn't let us out into the playground until we'd finished our 'meals', no matter how disgusting the food was, this was in Spain. if you told them there that kids here get served chips and pudding at lunchtime they wouldn't believe it :eek:
my school wouldn't let us out into the playground until we'd finished our 'meals', no matter how disgusting the food was, this was in Spain. if you told them there that kids here get served chips and pudding at lunchtime they wouldn't believe it :eek:

Oh you poor things :console: okay I think we should complain less :lol:

I remember getting forced to eat a tomato I kept refusing until I took a bit and puked :yuck: it was horrible :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest