The Student Room Group

Powering my grades, Watt a journey! A Y12 GYG

Scroll to see replies

06/09/19

:eek: already two days at school?! :gah: I've loved it ngl :laugh:

Y12s went back on thursday (no idea why lol) and so we got our timetables then and everything :biggrin: I have 3 frees a week :lol: one on each mon, tue, wed :smile: other than that, lessons all the time in-between!
We have 2 teachers for each subject and i like all of them! :grin:

Thursday:
chemistry: met our teacher, who i had in y9! just talked through the course and had a 'welcome to a-levels' speech :lol: also we have a test on monday and we have to get over 65% :eek4:
fm: was very fun but very confusing! we did about different types of number, (real, irrational, complex etc.) and then we did imaginary numbers :headfire: blew my tiny mind a bit :tongue:
geography: looked at different types of maps/presenting maps :biggrin:
maths: just another introduction, and did some algebra practise :smile: Got set some homework which i've just about finished!
fm: different teacher, did some boring graph/network stuff :boring:

Friday:
geography: did some more map stuff and coloured some in ourselves! Who said geography was just cutting and sticking? :flute:
> I had a medical appointment so left in geography and got back near the end of lunch <
so missed chemistry and fm :emo:
chemistry: met our other teacher, who's really nice! did some stuff about atoms :grin:
maths: had our teacher from last year :rave: :party: did some algebra questions and got told we have a test next friday!!

The lessons today went so fast it was crazzzyyyyyy :excited:
So exciting! :woo: Loving sixth form so far :biggrin:

Thank you all for commenting on the gyg so far! :smile: Keep smiling!
How's your start to school/college been? :grouphugs:

Spoiler

Omg sounds good! :gah: :woo:
PRSOM
Glad you like all your teachers! Don't stress too much about stuff like the chem test, it'll probably be not too hard and won't mean that much in the long run. Will they kick you off the course or something if you got below 65%? (I doubt they could do that)

My start to year 13 has been...ok. We'll settle for ok for now.
Original post by RazzzBerries
Omg sounds good! :gah: :woo:

:woo: sounds like you’re enjoying yours too which is great!
Original post by MidnightSymphony
PRSOM
Glad you like all your teachers! Don't stress too much about stuff like the chem test, it'll probably be not too hard and won't mean that much in the long run. Will they kick you off the course or something if you got below 65%? (I doubt they could do that)

My start to year 13 has been...ok. We'll settle for ok for now.

Thanks!
They teacher rings home and has a chat with you and parents to see if chemistry is ‘the right course for you’ :lol: which basically means they’ve kicked you off the course
:jumphug: sending hugs and hoping the ‘okay’ will morph into a ‘good’ sometime soon !! :smile:
I'm glad that you're enjoying Sixth Form! You seem to have a lot on, careful not to burn out! :hugs:
Original post by barror1
I'm glad that you're enjoying Sixth Form! You seem to have a lot on, careful not to burn out! :hugs:

:woo:
my mh is one of my main priorities this year :yes:
Not long until moving into uni for you! :eek:
glad to hear you're enjoying sixth form :biggrin:
is your fm class big? many girls in it?
Original post by laurawatt
my mh is one of my main priorities this year :yes:
Not long until moving into uni for you! :eek:

20 (almost 19) days until I leave my hometown! :afraid:
I have just finished purging my room though, so the number of clothes I own are wayyyyyyyy down :love:
I'll update my GYG all about it sometime this weekend. In the meantime, I have to find a lot of charities to donate to! :bricks:
How have I only just found this?! :facepalm: Tag me plz? :puppyeyes:
Glad to hear you've been loving sixth form so far! :woo: Fingers crossed that doesn't change any time soon :teehee:
We went back on a weird day as well (Wednesday). Lessons don’t start till Monday so we just did boring welcome to sixth form stuff and it was death by slides. Fortunately, I got to moved tutors. Also we went to Northumbria uni so im considering as my options which I wouldn’t have before like.
Reply 71
Yessss complex numbers :colone:

play around with them a bit, look at how differently normal rules work with them.
Seems like you're doing decision maths with the other fm teacher - apparently it's quite easy all-round but I've never done it so can't really comment. Do you know what other optional topics you might be doing?

only 3 frees a week though? Bloody unacceptable that, when are you meant to work??
glad you had a good first few days! :woo:
:eek3: tests already?! good luck with those :redface:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
glad to hear you're enjoying sixth form :biggrin:
is your fm class big? many girls in it?

We have 8 people, but it’s an even split of boys and girls which is very nice (4/4) :thumbsup:
Original post by barror1
20 (almost 19) days until I leave my hometown! :afraid:
I have just finished purging my room though, so the number of clothes I own are wayyyyyyyy down :love:
I'll update my GYG all about it sometime this weekend. In the meantime, I have to find a lot of charities to donate to! :bricks:

:eek3:
Better than coming back in 3 years to find your clothes from yearsssss ago!
Looking forward to it :jumphug:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
How have I only just found this?! :facepalm: Tag me plz? :puppyeyes:

Hehe of course!! :hugs:
i really need to get better at reading yours :getmecoat:
Glad you enjoyed your first week :rave:
We have 8 people, but it’s an even split of boys and girls which is very nice (4/4) :thumbsup:

:eek3:
Better than coming back in 3 years to find your clothes from yearsssss ago!
Looking forward to it :jumphug:

Hehe of course!! :hugs:
i really need to get better at reading yours :getmecoat:

ooh that's great!! the fm class is all boys at my school
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Glad to hear you've been loving sixth form so far! :woo: Fingers crossed that doesn't change any time soon :teehee:

:rave:
When does uni start back?
Original post by PetitePanda
We went back on a weird day as well (Wednesday). Lessons don’t start till Monday so we just did boring welcome to sixth form stuff and it was death by slides. Fortunately, I got to moved tutors. Also we went to Northumbria uni so im considering as my options which I wouldn’t have before like.

Oh right, be got straight on with the courses (we only had about 10 external people join though, so there was no need for all the team building stuff)
I’m glad you’re happy about moving tutors!
Oooh cool! Our school went to Leeds uni on one of the induction days and loads of people seemed to like it! (I didn’t go)
Original post by Sinnoh
Yessss complex numbers :colone:

play around with them a bit, look at how differently normal rules work with them.
Seems like you're doing decision maths with the other fm teacher - apparently it's quite easy all-round but I've never done it so can't really comment. Do you know what other optional topics you might be doing?

only 3 frees a week though? Bloody unacceptable that, when are you meant to work??

:yep: will do!
I think they said something about discrete maths? But haven’t actually told us our modules :smile: (they’ll probably go through it when we get our textbook next week)

I know :hide: Especially as ‘the school recommends’ that (for sixth form) that you do 1 hour outside of school for every lesson you have :eek: That’s 20 hours indépendant study, so 17 at home minus my frees!
This gal does not have that sort of time after school / weekends :nah:
Original post by nyxnko_
glad you had a good first few days! :woo:
:eek3: tests already?! good luck with those :redface:

Thank you!
yupp, it’s to check that you’re right for that course, which makes sense :smile:
Chem’s about atoms, exo/endo reactions, balancing equations etc. so not too hard/nothing we didn’t learn at gcse level :smile:
Thank you!
yupp, it’s to check that you’re right for that course, which makes sense :smile:
Chem’s about atoms, exo/endo reactions, balancing equations etc. so not too hard/nothing we didn’t learn at gcse level :smile:

:hugs:
But I thought GCSEs did that already...?
That's good :thumbsup: It's probably more of a diagnostic to make sure you haven't forgotten anything over summer :giggle:
Original post by nyxnko_
But I thought GCSEs did that already...?
That's good :thumbsup: It's probably more of a diagnostic to make sure you haven't forgotten anything over summer :giggle:

Yeah, but grade boundaries were quite low for the sciences, so I think it’s to check that we’re all at the same standard (understand the basics) before starting the course! :smile:
They can still suggest you leave the course if you do badly though :scared:
Yeah, but grade boundaries were quite low for the sciences, so I think it’s to check that we’re all at the same standard (understand the basics) before starting the course! :smile:
They can still suggest you leave the course if you do badly though :scared:

Oh that makes sense :yes:
True, but that will be at most a suggestion though :redface: One of the people in my chem class got just over 30% in their baseline, and was told for pretty much all of Year 12 to drop it but ended up completing the course. I have no idea what he got though :nah:
:lovehug:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending