The Student Room Group

Meningitis HELPPPPPP

Hi! I was born after August 1999 and I had vaccines in year 9 and 10. Do I need to see my gp to get this one too??? Thanks

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/men-acwy-vaccine/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Helpppppp pleasseeeeee
yes
Reply 3
I was born in 1998 and I hadn't received it, I got it before I started uni (was required for Medical course). I would suggest you get it if you haven't had it, as meningitis is life threatening, so best to be on the safe side.
you weren't given it at birth, nor as a child. it helps prevent meningitis which is spread through close contact, ergo why it's recommended for uni. I'm having mine next week before I head off to uni. I would suggest you do too.
Reply 5
Original post by yaja_jaswal
you weren't given it at birth, nor as a child. it helps prevent meningitis which is spread through close contact, ergo why it's recommended for uni. I'm having mine next week before I head off to uni. I would suggest you do too.

When were you born though? It was administered in schools to those born after August 1999
Reply 6
yes

When were you born though? It was administered in schools to those born after August 1999
Reply 7
Original post by HGS345
I was born in 1998 and I hadn't received it, I got it before I started uni (was required for Medical course). I would suggest you get it if you haven't had it, as meningitis is life threatening, so best to be on the safe side.

I was born after August 1999 though - please look at the link
Original post by Anonymous

2000. But you need to have booster ones as well
(edited 4 years ago)

You might be getting confused with hepatitis. those were given in yr 9/10

Please read the link, that’s why I attached it

Children aged 13 to 14 (school year 9) are being offered the MenACWY vaccine in school as part of the routine adolescent schools programme, alongside the 3-in-1 teenage booster, and as a direct replacement for the Men C vaccination.

Older teenagers

The MenACWY vaccine provides important protection, and all teenagers born between 1 September 1998 and 31 August 1999 are advised to arrange vaccination now with their GP.

It wasn’t for hepatitis
Reply 12
I was born after August 1999 though - please look at the link

I don't need to read the link. It's very simple. If you haven't had the vaccination, then get it. If you contract meningitis you can lose your limbs and die. Check with your GP to look through your records, or check your red book, if you haven't received it already, then get it.
Please read the link, that’s why I attached it

Children aged 13 to 14 (school year 9) are being offered the MenACWY vaccine in school as part of the routine adolescent schools programme, alongside the 3-in-1 teenage booster, and as a direct replacement for the Men C vaccination.

Older teenagers

The MenACWY vaccine provides important protection, and all teenagers born between 1 September 1998 and 31 August 1999 are advised to arrange vaccination now with their GP.

well how about this then. request a copy of your vaccination history and see if it's there or not. if it's not, have it. besides, it can't hurt to get it again seeing as it's free.
Original post by HGS345
I don't need to read the link. It's very simple. If you haven't had the vaccination, then get it. If you contract meningitis you can lose your limbs and die. Check with your GP to look through your records, or check your red book, if you haven't received it already, then get it.

I had the vaccines in years 9 and 10 though...🤦*♂️
Original post by HGS345

Maybe read it instead of being so ignorant
Reply 16
Maybe read it instead of being so ignorant

I don't think sharing common sense is ignorance. If you haven't had the ACWY vaccination then you're not protected against those types of meningitis strains. If you've had the ACWY vaccination in year 9 and 10 then you won't need it again. Whether you need boosters or not I'm not sure, but the initial vaccination, if you've had it already, then you don't need another 'initial' vaccination. If you can't understand that then speak to your GP.
christ almighty just ****ing check. if you don't know what vaccinations you had alongside the 3-in-1 how the **** are supposed to know you melt.

Ok, so I don’t need it then??
Ok, so I don’t need it then??

Is that what I said. I said to CHECK. If you have had it, which your records will show, then you have. You won't know unless you ask your practice for your vaccination history
Is that what I said. I said to CHECK. If you have had it, which your records will show, then you have. You won't know unless you ask your practice for your vaccination history

Stop shouting at me:frown::frown:

Quick Reply

Latest