The Student Room Group

What level are my GCSEs?

So I just completed my exams and got my results back. While they're perfectly respectable results I was actually rather gutted when I opened them, as I was getting pretty consistent 9s across the board throughout the year (with the exception of maths and lit). My college has put me on their oxbridge programme but I quite doubt I'm going to make the cut... do you have any advice on which unis to aim for? I was thinking of Durham where I might take history.
Grades:
Combined science - 8,8
English literature - 8
English language - 8 (remarked from a 6)
German - 8
History - 8 (1 mark off of a 9)
Religious Studies - 8 (3 marks off of a 9)
Music - 7
Maths - 6
If it is useful, I am taking History, Philosophy, and German A-levels, and I am also going to complete an EPQ. I also intend to have attained grade 7/8 piano by this time, and perhaps the same for guitar.
Thanks for any input that you might have!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would not rule of oxbridge just yet as from what i am aware they look for 7 a or a* grades which you have. From what my friends who applied and got in told me its more about the interview anyway and of course your predicted grades. Your GCSE dot haunt you as much as you think they do. In any case oxbridge aside you are definitely good enough for russell group universities :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by LinaHearts
I would not rule of oxbridge just yet as from what i am aware they look for 7 a or a* grades which you have. From what my friends who applied and got in told me its more about the interview anyway and of course your predicted grades. Your GCSE dot haunt you as much as you think they do. In any case oxbridge aside you are definitely good enough for russell group universities :smile:

Thanks for your reply :smile:
I guess I'll just work my arse off for A-Levels and see where I come out - oxbridge is (obviously) brilliant but it's also about clout imo. Going to a Russell Group would be pretty great regardless!
Reply 3
Thanks for your kind words :smile: - I think I'm just quite apprehensive about these grades as a fair few of my friends got over five 9s with everything above a 6, and my results seem to pale in comparison a little - especially considering how I only took 9 GCSEs (something that I hate year nine me for).
Do you mind if I ask what you got in your A-Levels and what you're pursuing at degree?
Hey! If I’m honest, as long as you work hard at your A-Levels, stay on top of everything, study for every single test, use your frees wisely. And come home do at least 1-2 hours everyday from the first day of Year 12 onwards then you should have no problem!
Reply 5
Original post by FloLemon
Hey! If I’m honest, as long as you work hard at your A-Levels, stay on top of everything, study for every single test, use your frees wisely. And come home do at least 1-2 hours everyday from the first day of Year 12 onwards then you should have no problem!

ah! it sounds so easy when you put it like that :wink:
Reply 6
Yeah it's much more disheartening to get an 8 than it maybe should be... damned government. My teacher used to say that an 8 is a 9 as far as she was concerned - if you get an 8 you could get a 9 on a good day kinda thing (I've also heard that Oxford echoes the sentiment).
Language and lit sounds cool! I almost took it for a A-Level :smile:
Reply 7
Oxbridge uses a holistic approach so all your information (GCSEs, Admissions Test result, Interview, Personal Statement, Predicted A-level Grades etc.) is viewed together rather than there being minimum requirements you have to pass for each. Which means GCSEs only make up one aspect and it’s just about building up a strong overall profile. Your GCSEs are absolutely fine for Oxbridge, mind me asking what course you are thinking of applying for?
I know this is for Yr 11 but my school is starting GCSE early in Year 9 I've just started Year 9 and my grades from Year 8 ESPECIALLY MATH are terrible I failed Math and Computer science and a couple of other subjects. I keep lying to myself that I'm going to the work and lying to myself about a bunch of other really IMPORTANT things but all I do is sit on watch Netflix Eat excessively and sleep HELP!!
Also, my mum tried to get me to do Cello but I quit I also quit swimming and my aikido class,
also, I'm doing Spanish and French but I want to drop Spanish and replace it with Religious Studies and at the beginning of YR 7 my Mum chose French for me but I switched to Spanish but the only French class I've ever been to is an after school French class and I barely did any work.
Also, I told my Teacher she game an opportunity to switch but I said i want to keep Spanish and told her in yr 9 to just add French IM in Yr 9 now and I want to drop Spanish permanently my mum said the only way she will help me is if I get my act together which includes work and a bunch of other private things. I'm a really optimistic person and im going through some personal things but it's ok bc I'm religious and I believe God will always Help me (BTW im Muslim) Also I want to tell someone not to be my friend anymore in a nice way
also, I feel like a rlly Selfish person and a mean horrible person bc I say mean things about pointless things and innocent ppl also plz help me pls pls pls
DONT BE RUDE
Reply 9
Original post by sb10
Oxbridge uses a holistic approach so all your information (GCSEs, Admissions Test result, Interview, Personal Statement, Predicted A-level Grades etc.) is viewed together rather than there being minimum requirements you have to pass for each. Which means GCSEs only make up one aspect and it’s just about building up a strong overall profile. Your GCSEs are absolutely fine for Oxbridge, mind me asking what course you are thinking of applying for?

I'm not all too sure yet, but definitely something in the humanities. Perhaps philosophy and theology? Or history. Something in that vein I expect (I slightly regret not taking a science as I have always been very interested in Psychology, but sacrifices had to be made w the abolition of the AS structure I guess).
Thanks for the encouragement too :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by deutschbag
I'm not all too sure yet, but definitely something in the humanities. Perhaps philosophy and theology? Or history. Something in that vein I expect (I slightly regret not taking a science as I have always been very interested in Psychology, but sacrifices had to be made w the abolition of the AS structure I guess).

You don’t have to decide yet I only decided what I wanted to apply for in the April before I applied; I had been set on Medicine since the start of first year then just kinda realise I didn’t want to do it and decided on Economics instead. For Oxbridge, it’s all about choosing the right subject for you and showing that your passionate to learn about said subject. Aside from everything else, a big thing for tutors at Oxbridge is having people on the course they want to teach due to the supervision/tutorial system. Your GCSEs are more than good enough to give you a chance to demonstrate that.
Original post by Caring Kid
I know this is for Yr 11 but my school is starting GCSE early in Year 9 I've just started Year 9 and my grades from Year 8 ESPECIALLY MATH are terrible I failed Math and Computer science and a couple of other subjects. I keep lying to myself that I'm going to the work and lying to myself about a bunch of other really IMPORTANT things but all I do is sit on watch Netflix Eat excessively and sleep HELP!!
Also, my mum tried to get me to do Cello but I quit I also quit swimming and my aikido class,
also, I'm doing Spanish and French but I want to drop Spanish and replace it with Religious Studies and at the beginning of YR 7 my Mum chose French for me but I switched to Spanish but the only French class I've ever been to is an after school French class and I barely did any work.
Also, I told my Teacher she game an opportunity to switch but I said i want to keep Spanish and told her in yr 9 to just add French IM in Yr 9 now and I want to drop Spanish permanently my mum said the only way she will help me is if I get my act together which includes work and a bunch of other private things. I'm a really optimistic person and im going through some personal things but it's ok bc I'm religious and I believe God will always Help me (BTW im Muslim) Also I want to tell someone not to be my friend anymore in a nice way
also, I feel like a rlly Selfish person and a mean horrible person bc I say mean things about pointless things and innocent ppl also plz help me pls pls pls
DONT BE RUDE

Right umm... well, first of all, your exams are over 2 years away, so don't stress too much about your academics just yet. Now, nobody will be able to get you out of this rut other than yourself, so make subtle changes in your life. Perhaps set a timer for netflix so you can't binge like we all want to, or take up running (highly recommended). Also, try to be proactive and not procrastinate too much - do your homework and all that. You don't need to be performing especially well but this will allow you to identify your weak points and, paradoxically, give you a big confidence boost in most cases. You'll see where you struggle, and there might be quite a few places where you do, but you'll know that you can target those things and improve them.

Secondly, take a step back and think about what you want to achieve, i.e., do you want a 5 in maths? A 6? Same for computer science. Just setting your goals down gives you a surprising feeling of security and determination to work towards them. If you can't drop Spanish you might just have to live with it, but I expect you should be able to drop it as a second language isn't compulsory.

As far as the friend situation goes... idk. Don't confront them as this will probably hurt them and just cause unneeded friction, maybe just don't go out of your way to see them? Hmm... I usually just drift away from people.

Hope this helped at least a little :smile:
Original post by Caring Kid
DONT BE RUDE

Right umm... well, first of all, your exams are over 2 years away, so don't stress too much about your academics just yet. Now, nobody will be able to get you out of this rut other than yourself, so make subtle changes in your life. Perhaps set a timer for netflix so you can't binge like we all want to, or take up running (highly recommended). Also, try to be proactive and not procrastinate too much - do your homework and all that. You don't need to be performing especially well but this will allow you to identify your weak points and, paradoxically, give you a big confidence boost in most cases. You'll see where you struggle, and there might be quite a few places where you do, but you'll know that you can target those things and improve them.

Secondly, take a step back and think about what you want to achieve, i.e., do you want a 5 in maths? A 6? Same for computer science. Just setting your goals down gives you a surprising feeling of security and determination to work towards them. If you can't drop Spanish you might just have to live with it, but I expect you should be able to drop it as a second language isn't compulsory.

As far as the friend situation goes... idk. Don't confront them as this will probably hurt them and just cause unneeded friction, maybe just don't go out of your way to see them? Hmm... I usually just drift away from people.

Hope this helped at least a little :smile:
Oxbridge have said they will regard 8, 9 and A* as equal.
Original post by MediocreSince01

Really? Oh ok that's pretty great. Thanks for letting me know!
Original post by sb10
You don’t have to decide yet I only decided what I wanted to apply for in the April before I applied; I had been set on Medicine since the start of first year then just kinda realise I didn’t want to do it and decided on Economics instead. For Oxbridge, it’s all about choosing the right subject for you and showing that your passionate to learn about said subject. Aside from everything else, a big thing for tutors at Oxbridge is having people on the course they want to teach due to the supervision/tutorial system. Your GCSEs are more than good enough to give you a chance to demonstrate that.

Well family members have often commented on how I 'come out of my shell' when talking about philosophy - I'm usually a very quiet person - so hopefully that'll play in my favour if I ever get into an interview. The only trouble is that I find it very hard to narrow down what I'm interested in... I want to be an ethologist as much as I want to be a doctor lol
Reply 16
Original post by deutschbag
Well family members have often commented on how I 'come out of my shell' when talking about philosophy - I'm usually a very quiet person - so hopefully that'll play in my favour if I ever get into an interview. The only trouble is that I find it very hard to narrow down what I'm interested in... I want to be an ethologist as much as I want to be a doctor lol

It definitely will play in your favour, you need to be passionate about your subject. I know what you mean with being interested in many different things which is why it is important to take your time in choosing what you want to study but there’s nothing wrong with being interested in many different subjects.
Original post by MediocreSince01

Oxbridge don’t consider GCSEs as a good measure of intellectual and academic ability, they see A-Levels as a much better view of someone’s performance and ability.
resat my gcse exams due to extenuating circumstances as I wasn’t happy with them. Came out with majority of A’s and a stars do you think I should apply to oxbridge
I’m starting my GCSE’s and you have some amazing results and I would appreciate it if you could share some tips with me as my grades are :frown: thanks man

Quick Reply

Latest