The Student Room Group

Different student halls attract different people?

I went through clearing so I didn’t get to choose my accommodation. I got the cheapest student halls and shared bathrooms. However in the group chats I’m in, they’re all talking about getting drunk all the time, smoking, tattoos and drugs every night. So do the cheaper accommodation attract bigger ********s and druggies/ party animals than the en-suite better accommodation?
Original post by Ariyaa
I went through clearing so I didn’t get to choose my accommodation. I got the cheapest student halls and shared bathrooms. However in the group chats I’m in, they’re all talking about getting drunk all the time, smoking, tattoos and drugs every night. So do the cheaper accommodation attract bigger ********s and druggies/ party animals than the en-suite better accommodation?

it's always not necessarily a direct correlation, some people get the cheapest accommodation because they're sensible with money.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
it's always not necessarily a direct correlation, some people get the cheapest accommodation because they're sensible with money.

So it is more likely to have crackheads in the cheaper accommodation
Original post by Ariyaa
So it is more likely to have crackheads in the cheaper accommodation

i had the cheapest accomodation and there were a couple of flats who had a lot of parties but no obvious drug use anywhere.
Reply 4
<a href=
Yeah I think there’s correlation but in general most students won’t be anti social
I would say there is a weak correlation, where I way staying in first year, there was a lot of people getting drunk and a considerable number of flatmates doing drugs, yet I was staying in the mid-tier accommodation. I would say, that no matter where you stay (with some exceptions, I'll elaborate more), you will find people getting drunk and doing drugs, as this is just what a lot of students get up to in their spare time. You have to remember that with income assessed student loans/grants, most people are actually on a relatively equal level, so it does tend to be those who are more sensible with their money who stay in the lower tiered accommodation. Saying that another strong motivation for people staying in cheaper accommodation is that they enjoy the lifestyle of being a thrifty student and want to experience the 'real' digs.
However, when you asked whether different halls attract different people, I do know of a case in which there definitely is a strong correlation; society based halls that have catering and other traditions. There was a hall like this adjacent to where I was staying, and it attracted a lot of very interesting and different personalities.
Reply 7
Original post by snipecaik
I would say there is a weak correlation, where I way staying in first year, there was a lot of people getting drunk and a considerable number of flatmates doing drugs, yet I was staying in the mid-tier accommodation. I would say, that no matter where you stay (with some exceptions, I'll elaborate more), you will find people getting drunk and doing drugs, as this is just what a lot of students get up to in their spare time. You have to remember that with income assessed student loans/grants, most people are actually on a relatively equal level, so it does tend to be those who are more sensible with their money who stay in the lower tiered accommodation. Saying that another strong motivation for people staying in cheaper accommodation is that they enjoy the lifestyle of being a thrifty student and want to experience the 'real' digs.
However, when you asked whether different halls attract different people, I do know of a case in which there definitely is a strong correlation; society based halls that have catering and other traditions. There was a hall like this adjacent to where I was staying, and it attracted a lot of very interesting and different personalities.

By different and interesting personalities, were you just referring to crackheads politely? It’s just in the group chat everyone seems to smoke and be into these kind of hobbies.
Original post by Ariyaa
By different and interesting personalities, were you just referring to crackheads politely? It’s just in the group chat everyone seems to smoke and be into these kind of hobbies.

No, it was just an unrelated point, what I meant was a lot of eccentric personalities, who want a boarding school-like experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending