The Student Room Group

Revision Notes?

Basically I am a week into yr 11 doing 7 gcses, a btec and a fmsq and I just wanted to know if making revision notes are worth it because I dont want to waste my time. Is doing practice questions and past papers better?
Original post by Rolo1234
Basically I am a week into yr 11 doing 7 gcses, a btec and a fmsq and I just wanted to know if making revision notes are worth it because I dont want to waste my time. Is doing practice questions and past papers better?

Hello,

It's definitely worth making revision notes so you know the content confidently. Once you know the content / specfication then you can move onto past papers. However, completing practice questions alongside making revision notes would work as well.
Reply 2
Original post by Hazzabear
Hello,

It's definitely worth making revision notes so you know the content confidently. Once you know the content / specfication then you can move onto past papers. However, completing practice questions alongside making revision notes would work as well.

What is the point of revision notes if I have got school notebooks and if I am basically copying off textboooks tho?
Reply 3
Personally I found it very helpful to go through all my revision text books and write lots of notes, every now and then I would refresh my memory by reading over the notes before I’d revise that subject again. I found that just writing the notes really helped me. I’d also squeeze in a mock test closer to your gcse exams, your school will get you to do them in class anyway so don’t worry :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Marsh_
Personally I found it very helpful to go through all my revision text books and write lots of notes, every now and then I would refresh my memory by reading over the notes before I’d revise that subject again. I found that just writing the notes really helped me. I’d also squeeze in a mock test closer to your gcse tests, your school will get you to do them in class anyway so don’t worry :smile:

When did you start making them, did you start at the start of yr 11 or did you do it as you were revising each topic?
What is the point of revision notes if I have got school notebooks and if I am basically copying off textboooks tho?

My school notebooks were full of notes and hadn't been condensed enough. Therefore, I used my notebooks to create new revision que cards that had valuable notes on them and they were not copied facts. (you'll remember it easier)

Don't copy textbooks, read through the book and then make it into your own notes.
Reply 6
Original post by Hazzabear
My school notebooks were full of notes and hadn't been condensed enough. Therefore, I used my notebooks to create new revision que cards that had valuable notes on them and they were not copied facts. (you'll remember it easier)

Don't copy textbooks, read through the book and then make it into your own notes.

Oh ok it is not just copying the textbook then, it is made from memory thx
Oh ok it is not just copying the textbook then, it is made from memory thx

You don't have to make them from memory, there's just no point in copying the textbook.
Reply 8
After I failed my first GCSEs in year 10 my Parents bought me the text books the school used on the subject I was struggling on (maths and science). I would work my way through the book 1 hour every night. It felt good to be ahead of the class for the lessons as i had already done them at home, it seriously helped me pass my exams. I made revision timetable, I still do when I’m at uni it’s difficult to manage your time so make sure you give yourself time to relax and do the things you want.
When did you start making them, did you start at the start of yr 11 or did you do it as you were revising each topic?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest