The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Joint Honours

Hi, I'm looking to apply to St Andrews and I'm a bit confused about the degree system.

What's the advantage of applying to St Andrews for a joint honours course if you take 2-3 subjects in the first year? I'm thinking of applying for Modern History and Economics, but should I just apply for one to increase my chances of getting in?

Also, if I get in with a joint honours course, does that mean I'm unable to take modules from another subject apart from those two. E.g. If I enter taking Modern History and Economics, can I take modules from international relations too?

And how easy is it to switch to a joint honours course going into year 3.

Sorry for the amount of questions, I'm just really confused.

Original post by Bra718
Hi, I'm looking to apply to St Andrews and I'm a bit confused about the degree system.

What's the advantage of applying to St Andrews for a joint honours course if you take 2-3 subjects in the first year? I'm thinking of applying for Modern History and Economics, but should I just apply for one to increase my chances of getting in?

Also, if I get in with a joint honours course, does that mean I'm unable to take modules from another subject apart from those two. E.g. If I enter taking Modern History and Economics, can I take modules from international relations too?

And how easy is it to switch to a joint honours course going into year 3.

Sorry for the amount of questions, I'm just really confused.

* What's the advantage of applying to St Andrews for a joint honours course if you take 2-3 subjects in the first year? - In theory, nothing (but see exception below)
* I'm thinking of applying for Modern History and Economics, but should I just apply for one to increase my chances of getting in? - I've heard that is a good idea, but I applied for joint honours from the start.
* Also, if I get in with a joint honours course, does that mean I'm unable to take modules from another subject apart from those two? - No. You can certainly take modules from other subjects. (IR is an exception so you need to be studying IR as part of your degree to get guaranteed access, but I've heard other arts students take it in first year anyway)
* how easy is it to switch to a joint honours course going into year 3 - If you have the prerequisites, then it's trivial (just tell your advisor that you'd like to switch).
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Leaderboard
* What's the advantage of applying to St Andrews for a joint honours course if you take 2-3 subjects in the first year? - In theory, nothing (but see exception below)
* I'm thinking of applying for Modern History and Economics, but should I just apply for one to increase my chances of getting in? - I've heard that is a good idea, but I applied for joint honours from the start.
* Also, if I get in with a joint honours course, does that mean I'm unable to take modules from another subject apart from those two? - No. You can certainly take modules from other subjects. (IR is an exception so you need to be studying IR as part of your degree to get guaranteed access, but I've heard other arts students take it in first year anyway)
* how easy is it to switch to a joint honours course going into year 3 - If you have the prerequisites, then it's trivial (just tell your advisor that you'd like to switch).

+ due to the popularity of IR (being St Andrews' flagship degree) names are drawn out of a hat to take IR as an optional. Regardless you study 3 subjects each semester in your first year, up to 3 subjects each semester in you second year; but you must continue with your chosen subjects (so both econ and history) throughout your first year, so if you go with joint honours you only get 1 optional subject each semester
Reply 3
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could explain the honours system to me? I want to apply for social Anthropology at St Andrews, but it seems to say on the site that it is an honours program. Does this mean I have to write my personal statement geared towards one of the other subjects that can be joined with social Anthropology?

Thank you for any information!
Original post by Kodyka
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could explain the honours system to me? I want to apply for social Anthropology at St Andrews, but it seems to say on the site that it is an honours program. Does this mean I have to write my personal statement geared towards one of the other subjects that can be joined with social Anthropology?

Thank you for any information!

No. You choose your outside courses once you start studying at St Andrews. In your PS, you only discuss the degree title that you want to do.
Reply 5
Original post by Quick-use
No. You choose your outside courses once you start studying at St Andrews. In your PS, you only discuss the degree title that you want to do.

Oh okay that makes sense! Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending