The Student Room Group

A level english language or combined

I am deciding between english language or combined as I would likeep to ddo a law degree in university and Ia going to work hard for my a levels but which type of English would be easier to allow me to get the best grades possible along with hard work? And is english language similar to gcse? Many thanks
English language is completely different at a level. Combined is not good at all, you don’t go into depth into either English. I would advise doing literature as it is an essay subject which provides good skills for arguing and a facilitating subject. However if you get a 6 in literature and a 9 in language maybe do language.
English language A Level is very different than GCSE, it’s like a completely new subject. However, it is relatively easy, one of the easiest A Levels in my experience. I did both language and literature and found that literature was extremely difficult and far more work. I certainly wouldn’t do them combined, because it consists of the hardest aspects of both courses. Completely your decision though!
Reply 3
Original post by anonONE1
English language A Level is very different than GCSE, it’s like a completely new subject. However, it is relatively easy, one of the easiest A Levels in my experience. I did both language and literature and found that literature was extremely difficult and far more work. I certainly wouldn’t do them combined, because it consists of the hardest aspects of both courses. Completely your decision though!

Thanks you but what do you mean by you found english language relatively easy? I only got a 6 in english language but will work hard for a levels also does it count as a facilitating subject I'm not fully sure
Reply 4
Original post by Mollysh24
English language is completely different at a level. Combined is not good at all, you don’t go into depth into either English. I would advise doing literature as it is an essay subject which provides good skills for arguing and a facilitating subject. However if you get a 6 in literature and a 9 in language maybe do language.

Do u know how english language is different from gcse? Thanks though
Original post by Zara_qwe
Do u know how english language is different from gcse? Thanks though

Well, I’m not sure at your school but at mine this is what it’s described as for a level:

1BBA3201-2ACA-4756-9AA5-C03097BB4CC6.jpg.jpeg

So I’m sure you can see the difference or similarities from your gcse
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by anonONE1

okay thank you also what aspects of english language made you think it was one of the easiest a levels? what else a levels did you do?
okay thank you also what aspects of english language made you think it was one of the easiest a levels? what else a levels did you do?

Just because it’s easier for one person doesn’t mean it will be for you. Keep that in mind
Reply 8
Well, I’m not sure at your school but at mine this is what it’s described as for a level:

1BBA3201-2ACA-4756-9AA5-C03097BB4CC6.jpg.jpeg

So I’m sure you can see the difference or similarities from your gcse

okay thanks it looks good it was just in gcse english language i didnt like the creative writing as much but does a level have that too? this is rly helpful btw
okay thanks it looks good it was just in gcse english language i didnt like the creative writing as much but does a level have that too? this is rly helpful btw

This course in particular doesn’t. Check with your local college to make sure the course is right for you!
Reply 10
thank you this was helpful
I think you should look at this page:
http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm

In short, English Literature has an A* rate of about 8.5% whereas for combined it's about 3% and language is just under 2%. This standard also continues for A's.

Therefore I believe to get into a good uni and do the degree of your choice, doing literature instead would be the way to go. Combined is better than language but both are much worse.
Thanks you but what do you mean by you found english language relatively easy? I only got a 6 in english language but will work hard for a levels also does it count as a facilitating subject I'm not fully sure

It is an essay based subject. I’m studying law at university and I did both language,literature and history. So if anyone tells you that English language isn’t good for law, that’s not true. English language is the easiest A Level. When I say that it is completely different from GCSE, I don’t mean that it’s different in a bad way. If you got a 6 at GCSE you’ll do fine. I knew people who got 4s at gcse and got A*s a level.
Reply 13
Just because it’s easier for one person doesn’t mean it will be for you. Keep that in mind

yeah true thank you and im just curious what other a levels are you doing? My other a levels are history and sociology, thanks
yeah true thank you and im just curious what other a levels are you doing? My other a levels are history and sociology, thanks

I do history and politics
Reply 15
Original post by anonone1
it is an essay based subject. I’m studying law at university and i did both language,literature and history. So if anyone tells you that english language isn’t good for law, that’s not true. English language is the easiest a level. When i say that it is completely different from gcse, i don’t mean that it’s different in a bad way. If you got a 6 at gcse you’ll do fine. I knew people who got 4s at gcse and got a*s a level.

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest