The Student Room Group

Dont know what to do with my life (rant)

I have finished A-levels (I did art, history and film studies) and have decided not to go to university. I really wanted to get into fashion design and over the summer o have been teaching myself how to make clothes and I really enjoy it. I then decided that I wanted to peruse this further and over the past two months I have been applying to internships and work placements in fashion design, yet not one company has replied back to me and I have applied to like 30+ companies across the UK. I thought I was going to get an internship by at least the start of October but this i am becoming more and more doubtful that this is going to happen. since this is the case, I have asked my work for extra shifts as I only worked once a week due to A-levels but they have told me that they have no extra shifts until the start of October. I have been trying to find other jobs and I was looking during the summer for other jobs as they were already cutting my hours since July, but similarly to the fashion internships no one has got back to me (like I applied to primark like 5 times and got rejected each time). I have managed to get a bit of cash from cleaning cars and buses but I don't want to be doing that in the long run. since I have had experience in art due to my a levels (and have managed to sell some of my work a few years ago) I am trying to see if I can do some paintings to get some cash until I can find an internship and hopefully find another job. although it has been a few days since I have begun painting, I am really starting to fall in love with painting again so now I am confused if I want to peruse and art or fashion career 😂😅 does anyone have any tips on what I should do because it would have been so much easier if I went to uni as I am now lost and confused.
Original post by CharlW1968
I have finished A-levels (I did art, history and film studies) and have decided not to go to university. I really wanted to get into fashion design and over the summer o have been teaching myself how to make clothes and I really enjoy it. I then decided that I wanted to peruse this further and over the past two months I have been applying to internships and work placements in fashion design, yet not one company has replied back to me and I have applied to like 30+ companies across the UK. I thought I was going to get an internship by at least the start of October but this i am becoming more and more doubtful that this is going to happen. since this is the case, I have asked my work for extra shifts as I only worked once a week due to A-levels but they have told me that they have no extra shifts until the start of October. I have been trying to find other jobs and I was looking during the summer for other jobs as they were already cutting my hours since July, but similarly to the fashion internships no one has got back to me (like I applied to primark like 5 times and got rejected each time). I have managed to get a bit of cash from cleaning cars and buses but I don't want to be doing that in the long run. since I have had experience in art due to my a levels (and have managed to sell some of my work a few years ago) I am trying to see if I can do some paintings to get some cash until I can find an internship and hopefully find another job. although it has been a few days since I have begun painting, I am really starting to fall in love with painting again so now I am confused if I want to peruse and art or fashion career 😂😅 does anyone have any tips on what I should do because it would have been so much easier if I went to uni as I am now lost and confused.

What grades did you get? Secondly, are your parents happy for you to stay with them for free? If yes then just paint, paint, paint until you become a talented artist. Meet with other artists etc and just practice your craft for a year, then go to uni for an art degree next year if you want to. But bear in mind that you don’t need a degree to become an amazing artist, and having a degree doesn’t make you a better artist.
Reply 2
Original post by Christiantaylor
What grades did you get? Secondly, are your parents happy for you to stay with them for free? If yes then just paint, paint, paint until you become a talented artist. Meet with other artists etc and just practice your craft for a year, then go to uni for an art degree next year if you want to. But bear in mind that you don’t need a degree to become an amazing artist, and having a degree doesn’t make you a better artist.

Fortunately my parents know that I am in a sticky situation and know that I dont have enough money to pay rent although i really want to. i got a B in history, C in film studies and a Merit in art (I was expected to get a Distinction in art so I am a bit disappointed). I hope that I can sell some paintings and with the money I make I can then make a decision on if i want to pay for art classes or fashion classes or paint even more.
Original post by CharlW1968
Fortunately my parents know that I am in a sticky situation and know that I dont have enough money to pay rent although i really want to. i got a B in history, C in film studies and a Merit in art (I was expected to get a Distinction in art so I am a bit disappointed). I hope that I can sell some paintings and with the money I make I can then make a decision on if i want to pay for art classes or fashion classes or paint even more.

Have a think about what you really want to do, picture yourself doing all the options, and whichever makes you calmest and most content, choose that. Go to art fairs, workshops and network, make friends. That’s a key part of life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending