The Student Room Group

Endometriosis

Do any of you have it Or know anything about it?

I’ve thought I might have endometriosis for a couple of years now but my only reason for thinking so was that my periods are really really heavy (but don’t hurt too much). But this period when I’ve gone for a poo it hurts a little and I googled it and this is another sign. I go to uni in a week so idk if I’ll be able to book in and see the doctor in time. Do you know what they do after this appointment? Do they book you in for a scan or what?
They'll probably just tell you to go on the pill for the heavy periods.
They generally won't admit you for any further testing until you're at least in your early 20s for endometriosis. When they do they'll do a series of colonoscopies, ultrasounds etc. Usually extremely painful periods, fatigue, IBS, weak bladder are symptoms of Endometriosis, heavy periods on their own can usully be a symptom of fiboids or polyps (or just straight up stress). I'd reccomend registering with your Uni doctors and going when you move. Usually you can tell something's wrong with your periods if they change, but if you're worried about them, then get it checked out. And don't let the doctors belittle your problems, you know your body and if something doesn't feel right then that's that.
Reply 3
Original post by Teigan182
They generally won't admit you for any further testing until you're at least in your early 20s for endometriosis. When they do they'll do a series of colonoscopies, ultrasounds etc. Usually extremely painful periods, fatigue, IBS, weak bladder are symptoms of Endometriosis, heavy periods on their own can usully be a symptom of fiboids or polyps (or just straight up stress). I'd reccomend registering with your Uni doctors and going when you move. Usually you can tell something's wrong with your periods if they change, but if you're worried about them, then get it checked out. And don't let the doctors belittle your problems, you know your body and if something doesn't feel right then that's that.

Fatigue and weak bladder are another 2 probably. Should probs go and get it checked out. Weird though that my periods aren’t too painful. I can feel them and they are uncomfortable but overall not too bad
Original post by Anonymous
Do any of you have it Or know anything about it?

I’ve thought I might have endometriosis for a couple of years now but my only reason for thinking so was that my periods are really really heavy (but don’t hurt too much). But this period when I’ve gone for a poo it hurts a little and I googled it and this is another sign. I go to uni in a week so idk if I’ll be able to book in and see the doctor in time. Do you know what they do after this appointment? Do they book you in for a scan or what?

I'm on the pill for it because of the pain and the way hormones affect my disabilities
Reply 5
my period pains are really painful that not even 8 ibuprofen would help. I bleed very heavily as well. most of the time im unable to walk and do pretty much everything. My doctors have given me ultrasounds which came out all normal but because im a virgin they would conduct an internal test. They usually just recommend pills to lower the heavy bleeding and give u stronger meds to reduce any pains. But for now thats about it. Be persistant that u want to get checked. i got checked and i know sunin is wrong yet they say im fine which really aint the answer im looking for
I have endometriosis and it look me 9 years of bugging my doctors before I got referred to a gynaecologist and had a laparoscopy done for diagnosis. If you're concerned go and talk to a GP and demand to be taken seriously, good luck!
Original post by KatieJMack
I have endometriosis and it look me 9 years of bugging my doctors before I got referred to a gynaecologist and had a laparoscopy done for diagnosis. If you're concerned go and talk to a GP and demand to be taken seriously, good luck!

Did getting a diagnosis change anything for you?
Original post by Anonymous
Did getting a diagnosis change anything for you?

Getting a diagnosis was bittersweet because it meant I wasn't crazy and there was actually a cause to my pain, but obviously I knew there was no cure and that endometriosis was something I would be battling for the rest of my life, however, once I got diagnosed my pain was taken much more seriously and doctors tried more to help with the pain until my surgery. however, now that i've had surgery, doctors aren't believing that endo is causing my pain so I'm not currently getting help

Quick Reply

Latest