The Student Room Group

Clucking up some A*s! (hopefully)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aishaa_26
Not an aspiring medic no haha, but I’m thinking of doing Biomedical Sciences! And sure, I would love to be tagged! (im also a kpop fan btw 🤭)

Omgash! Which groups are your faves? Stray kids and Seventeen will forever hold my heart! + Twice is my guilty pleasure
Original post by FlawlessChicken
Omgash! Which groups are your faves? Stray kids and Seventeen will forever hold my heart! + Twice is my guilty pleasure

I don’t have faves ahh!! Seventeen is amazing though! Definitely love my girl groups lol! CLC and Gidle are amazing! I’ve never heard Stray Kids even though my friends always tell me to 😣 any stray kids recommendations? :biggrin:
Original post by aishaa_26
I don’t have faves ahh!! Seventeen is amazing though! Definitely love my girl groups lol! CLC and Gidle are amazing! I’ve never heard Stray Kids even though my friends always tell me to 😣 any stray kids recommendations? :biggrin:

Literally anything, though their comeback is much more aggressive?! (Idk if music can be aggressive but it is) They're concept kings! I'd suggest Hellevator, Get cool, insomnia and 19. Oof that might be bit too much but whatever-
Literally anything, though their comeback is much more aggressive?! (Idk if music can be aggressive but it is) They're concept kings! I'd suggest Hellevator, Get cool, insomnia and 19. Oof that might be bit too much but whatever-

i shall finally check them out then :’D
Awww I really appreciate it! Honesty it took my soo long trying to think of something :/

And yh isn't it! I just love her voice, it's soo soothing, almost therapeutic. You should look up the meaning of the lyrics too. It's sooo wholesome.

:hugs: It's amazing! :yep:
It is! And I did search up the lyrics (they're so cute :gah:) and I was scrolling through the comments of that video and they're wholesome as well :redface:
Hiii! Also a yr 13 student studying bio(AQA), chem (AQA) and maths(Edexcel), but slightly different exam boards. Good luck with this thread and year 13!!!!! Could u tag me please ?
Original post by herefortheSnacks
Hiii! Also a yr 13 student studying bio(AQA), chem (AQA) and maths(Edexcel), but slightly different exam boards. Good luck with this thread and year 13!!!!! Could u tag me please ?

Of course and good luck to you too! How are you finding AQA Biology? I've heard rumours that the mark scheme is a bit weird because they only just having enough marking points for the question. Idk how it works but something like for a 3 mark question - there'd only be 3 points in the mark scheme - sounds like hell to me, unless my friend was over-exaggerating...
good luck this year! tag me :smile:
Original post by drystar
good luck this year! tag me :smile:

Yepyep! :^_^:
Of course and good luck to you too! How are you finding AQA Biology? I've heard rumours that the mark scheme is a bit weird because they only just having enough marking points for the question. Idk how it works but something like for a 3 mark question - there'd only be 3 points in the mark scheme - sounds like hell to me, unless my friend was over-exaggerating...

Thanks :smile: Tbh we haven't properly starting yr 13 content yet, but I found yr 12 super content heavy and I kinda slacked and still need to work on making majority of my AS resources. It really is -the mark scheme is super specific and if u don't include the specific keyword required in your answers, they just won't give u the marks. Thats why it's super important to practise exam questions after revising a topic and put common questions and answers onto flashcards so you're learning the points that are actually needed for the marks. But I kinda worry that the exam questions will be super complex and difficult to realise what points they actually want :frown:

How are u finding maths ?? My applied maths teacher said 2019's edexcel pure papers were super hard. Literally the highest anyone got in maths last year at my school was a D, which is freaking me the hell out. I need to get my head down and put the work in.
Original post by herefortheSnacks
Thanks :smile: Tbh we haven't properly starting yr 13 content yet, but I found yr 12 super content heavy and I kinda slacked and still need to work on making majority of my AS resources. It really is -the mark scheme is super specific and if u don't include the specific keyword required in your answers, they just won't give u the marks. Thats why it's super important to practise exam questions after revising a topic and put common questions and answers onto flashcards so you're learning the points that are actually needed for the marks. But I kinda worry that the exam questions will be super complex and difficult to realise what points they actually want :frown:

How are u finding maths ?? My applied maths teacher said 2019's edexcel pure papers were super hard. Literally the highest anyone got in maths last year at my school was a D, which is freaking me the hell out. I need to get my head down and put the work in.

Hmm yh I heard the same. What's really worrying is that a few oxbridge applicants missed their offer in my school, because of their maths grade. It just goes to show how dumb the system is. According to my pure teacher, Edexcel are adding more 'think outside of the box' type questions, which I guess are hard to prep for. What I found that worked really well for me are past paper questions. Like even if they're from the old spec in the end of the day maths is still maths and practise makes perfect!
Hmm yh I heard the same. What's really worrying is that a few oxbridge applicants missed their offer in my school, because of their maths grade. It just goes to show how dumb the system is. According to my pure teacher, Edexcel are adding more 'think outside of the box' type questions, which I guess are hard to prep for. What I found that worked really well for me are past paper questions. Like even if they're from the old spec in the end of the day maths is still maths and practise makes perfect!

Yeah I read a few threads on TSR and people missed their offers by literally 2 or 3 marks and were still rejected. My school might switch to AQA for the new year 12's. Yeah definitely, the more practice you do for maths, the better. Examsolutions is really good, as well as physicsandmathstutor and revisely
12/09/19

I'm not good mood. Well that's an understatement. I feel like absolute trash tbh. If you don't wanna hear my bs you can skip straight to the subject updates. But if you're still here I'll explain a little. I've been having parent problems? Well not really problems but just keep arguing with each other. I know it's normal, but this is just different. Well anywhu that's just context. Yesterday my mum came upstairs and saw me on my phone. She got triggered real bad and so did my dad, coz they thought I was doing work. Normally they just take my phone and give it back later - but after they saw what I was doing on my phone, they decided to take it forever? Idk? Well now I don't have a phone, but that doesn't really matter. I'm just more sad about the fact that my parents don't trust me no more. I feel really lonely and I'm also anxious about the future. Everything is just piling up and hitting me all at once. I've gone back to an old bad habit, which hurts me mentally and physically and basically I just feel useless. I don't really want any 'you'll be fine' replies. I'm not looking for validation of any sort. I just want to write it to get it off my chest. Basically my mental health is a mess and I just wanted to write about it...

Well sorry for that! I shall now talk to you about what we did this week!

I finished my personal statement this yesterday and handed my first draft in to my teacher today. I'm generally happy with it, but there are bits, which I think I can word better. I've done more UCAT questions on medify. One problem is that I'm doing less and less but whatever I'll get back on the grind pretty quick hopefully - when my head feels a lot better. We had an assembly about Oxbridge colleges which just made it all feel more real. Tbh my parents don't really want me to go anymore ... but I hope they change their minds.

Biology

We started respiration with Miss P and it's not as confusing as photosynthesis I feel. Our test on photosynthesis got postponed till next Thursday, so I'm kinda happy coz I can revise for it properly I guess. We continued the nervous system with my other teacher and learnt about the effects of LSD and alcohol on the nervous system. We have a test on this on the 20th aka BMAT results day so it's gonna be a stressful day. yay!

Chemistry

We learnt how to work out Kp/partial pressures/mole fractions ... yh all that good stuff. I like it coz it's basically just maths! We did a practical to work out the Kc of an esterification reaction and we're going to check on it next week when equilibrium is hopefully reached. We also have a test on it next week weewoop! We started carboxyls with my other teacher, which is amazing coz I <3 organic chemistry.

Maths/Further Maths

Complex numbers in the exponential form is actually not too bad. It's really cool actually - like the way it all works. We did 3d linear transformations and did the inverse stuff to work out what object was first used from the transformed image. Okay reading that back ... my explanation is horrible - luckily we don't really need to explain stuff in the actual paper.
Maths test week is apparently in 2/3 weeks time :/

EPQ

I finished reading Nessa Carey's book (which I highly recommend btw) and now I'm going to make a gantt chart to show my 'progession'. My mid-project review is in October so I need to get ready for that.

Song of the week:

Spoiler

Here's also all the loveliest people! Literally you guys make me soooo happy tysm!
Everyone in my chicken coup: (Tell me if you wanna be added or taken away (hhh actually no you can't escape.... just kidding) I want loads and loads of people in my chicken coup with me x

Chilling in the chicken coup:

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Wowowww you need to be my tutor this is amazing results well done 🥳😱😱
12/09/19

I'm not good mood. Well that's an understatement. I feel like absolute trash tbh. If you don't wanna hear my bs you can skip straight to the subject updates. But if you're still here I'll explain a little. I've been having parent problems? Well not really problems but just keep arguing with each other. I know it's normal, but this is just different. Well anywhu that's just context. Yesterday my mum came upstairs and saw me on my phone. She got triggered real bad and so did my dad, coz they thought I was doing work. Normally they just take my phone and give it back later - but after look at the stuff I was doing on my phone, they decided to take it forever? Idk? Well now I don't have a phone, but that doesn't really matter. I'm just more sad about the fact that my parents don't trust me no more. I feel really lonely and I'm also anxious about the future. Everything is just piling up and hitting me all at once. I've gone back to an old bad habit, which hurts me mentally and physically and basically I just feel useless. I don't really want any 'you'll be fine' replies. I'm not looking for validation of any sort. I just want to write it to get it off my chest. Basically my mental health is a mess and I just wanted to write about it...

Well sorry for that! I shall now talk to you about what we did this week!

I finished my personal statement this yesterday and handed my first draft in to my teacher today. I'm generally happy with it, but there are bits, which I think I can word better. I've done more UCAT questions on medify. One problem is that I'm doing less and less but whatever I'll get back on the grind pretty quick hopefully - when my head feels a lot better. We had an assembly about Oxbridge colleges which just made it all feel more real. Tbh my parents don't really want me to go anymore ... but I hope they change their minds.

Biology

We started respiration with Miss P and it's not as confusing as photosynthesis I feel. Our test on photosynthesis got postponed till next Thursday, so I'm kinda happy coz I can revise for it properly I guess. We continued the nervous system with my other teacher and learnt about the effects of LSD and alcohol on the nervous system. We have a test on this on the 20th aka BMAT results day so it's gonna be a stressful day. yay!

Chemistry

We learnt how to work out Kp/partial pressures/mole fractions ... yh all that good stuff. I like it coz it's basically just maths! We did a practical to work out the Kc of an esterification reaction and we're going to check on it next week when equilibrium is hopefully reached. We also have a test on it next week weewoop! We started carboxyls with my other teacher, which is amazing coz I <3 organic chemistry.

Maths/Further Maths

Complex numbers in the exponential form is actually not too bad. It's really cool actually - like the way it all works. We did 3d linear transformations and did the inverse stuff to work out what object was first used from the transformed image. Okay reading that back ... my explanation is horrible - luckily we don't really need to explain stuff in the actual paper.
Maths test week is apparently in 2/3 weeks time :/

EPQ

I finished reading Nessa Carey's book (which I highly recommend btw) and now I'm going to make a gantt chart to show my 'progession'. My mid-project review is in October so I need to get ready for that.

Song of the week:

Spoiler

Here's also all the loveliest people! Literally you guys make me soooo happy tysm!
Everyone in my chicken coup: (Tell me if you wanna be added or taken away (hhh actually no you can't escape.... just kidding) I want loads and loads of people in my chicken coup with me x

Chilling in the chicken coup:

Spoiler

Heyyyyy please add me andddd what’s the boook called
Reply 35
tag me! also which kpop groups do you like?
I need some advice I wanna go into medicine but I’m confused as to if I should choose a level physics or maths please help
Original post by gay*
tag me! also which kpop groups do you like?

Will do! I listen to a whole load of groups. I love Seventeen and Stray kids the best tho. Dw I love blackpink too but tbh I feel like 'kill this love' was just a spin off to 'ddu-du ddu-du'. They were both good tho!
Original post by IsMo987
Heyyyyy please add me andddd what’s the boook called

heyy please could I be added to the chicken coup? amazing nameeee
Original post by IsMo987
I need some advice I wanna go into medicine but I’m confused as to if I should choose a level physics or maths please help

What are your choices so far, I'm presuming bio and chem + one of those. Most of my friends who take physics say it's hard. Tbh it really doesn't matter which one you take. Unis consider both as viable options for med. My advice would be do whatever one you feel more comfortable with/ more passionate about, coz you'll revise better. A-level physics might with the BMAT, if you're considering BMAT unis that is, but even fi yuo don't take physics you can still revise for it! Basically pick whichever one you'd want to revise in more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending