The Student Room Group

Organ Donation Awareness Week!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sososnake
I totally agree with you. However, my one issue is with people who would happily accept an organ transplant and yet refuse to opt in. I know it’s their choice and I trey to respect their decision but it frustrates me.
You are always welcome to share that opinion but I'd advise not targetting it at any one individual. :yep:

(Not saying you have or would do this, just advising generally for the health of this discussion.)
(edited 4 years ago)
I totally agree with you. However, my one issue is with people who would happily accept an organ transplant and yet refuse to opt in. I know it’s their choice and I trey to respect their decision but it frustrates me.

I can see that. I personally don't agree with some of the reasons other people have either, but I think it's more effective to be nice and keep showing the good reasons to donate than to shame people. I think if people are shamed or challenged too much they'll just start hating the whole idea out of association.
I think that especially as a lot of people on here are younger they probably just haven't thought much about it and over time might change their minds and realise that the pros outweigh the cons. :smile:

To be fair I would happily accept somebody randomly giving me £100, but wouldn't be so happy to randomly give out £100 myself so I can appreciate that people can have somewhat hypocritical views.
Original post by 04MR17
You are always welcome to share that opinion but I'd advise not targetting it at any one individual. :yep:

(Not saying you have or would do this, just advising generally for the health of this discussion.)

Of course not! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that, I just disagree with some of their reasonings.
Original post by Kindred
I can see that. I personally don't agree with some of the reasons other people have either, but I think it's more effective to be nice and keep showing the good reasons to donate than to shame people. I think if people are shamed or challenged too much they'll just start hating the whole idea out of association.
I think that especially as a lot of people on here are younger they probably just haven't thought much about it and over time might change their minds and realise that the pros outweigh the cons. :smile:

To be fair I would happily accept somebody randomly giving me £100, but wouldn't be so happy to randomly give out £100 myself so I can appreciate that people can have somewhat hypocritical views.

Nice analogy 😂 yep I respect people’s decisions but some people may not fully understand how being an organ donor can change people’s lives. So I think people need to be more well read on the subject before making a decision.
Original post by CoolCavy
It would be nice to know both views but sadly I can't say that this thread is an open accepting space for that, people have been shamed for stating their views and were they to further explain their choices would be shamed further and likely called stupid etc.
People sadly lack the ability to respect others decisions and beliefs. It's a shame as this thread could have been interesting bus alas this elitist attitude is the reason I mostly keep my options on this to myself. It's quite hurtful to be accused of being selfish/not having emotions/ being the cause of others deaths and if people are reading this who also want to opt out they will be dissuaded from sharing their opinions which I think is a shame.
Clearly people on this thread only want people to comment if they are going to go I've opted in!!!! Which is just enforcing an echochamber and stifling discussion.
Very disappointing thread but I can't say I'm surprised.

Yeah. I think an accepting discussion where people are able to share their views openly is a lot better for learning and potentially changing minds as well.

Even just from the perspective of wanting to convince people to opt in I, it would be a lot more effective to be accepting and listen to their reasons and respectfully give opposing ideas. You can't myth bust if you're making an environment where people are unwilling to share their myths!

I hope that the other threads (like the myth busting video links one) will allow people to explore their own concerns. :smile:
Nice analogy 😂 yep I respect people’s decisions but some people may not fully understand how being an organ donor can change people’s lives. So I think people need to be more well read on the subject before making a decision.

Yeah i think peolem should make educated decisions and that's where an open and understanding discussion is great. With stuff like this where its a yes or no choice the natural option when you're unsure is the safe option where nothing changes (so opt out). I think it's important to encourage a safe environment for people to discuss their thoughts, learn new things and make an educated choice so they can decide if they want to move away from the default option. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by CoolCavy
You don't need to explain yourself, bodily autonomy is a thing and it's a dangerous principle to guilt trip people into what to do with their own body.
I will be opting out too

Thank you.

I have read your posts and you seem like one of the kindest and most good natured people on this forum so it helps me seeing somebody who is in my view an all round nice person agree with my point of view, because I know I can seem brash or callous so your perspective for me is valuable.
Original post by Kindred
Yeah i think peolem should make educated decisions and that's where an open and understanding discussion is great. With stuff like this where its a yes or no choice the natural option when you're unsure is the safe option where nothing changes (so opt out). I think it's important to encourage a safe environment for people to discuss their thoughts, learn new things and make an educated choice so they can decide if they want to move away from the default option. :smile:

Exactly! I personally can’t see any cons of being an organ donator and if I die I would be happy for other people to have a better quality of life by having my organs 😁 I would also happily accept a transplant if I needed one.
Original post by Le Male
Thank you.

I have read your posts and you seem like one of the kindest and most good natured people on this forum so it helps me seeing somebody who is in my view an all round nice person agree with my point of view, because I know I can seem brash or callous so your perspective for me is valuable.

May I ask why you don’t want to be an organ donor? I am not here to judge you and I respect your choice.
I signed up for everything to be removed. Once I die, I can't give a shiz. That's just me tho. I just hope the recipient will be grateful and will take care of my ex organ.
Original post by Le Male
Thank you.

I’m sorry I can’t see your reply :frown:
Original post by Leviathan1611
awesome, thanks 👍

May I ask why you are so keen to opt out? I’m not judging, just curious
May I ask why you are so keen to opt out? I’m not judging, just curious

I'd like my body to rest in peace when I leave it.

Are you religious? But what if you have the opportunity to improve the lives of others?
Are you religious? But what if you have the opportunity to improve the lives of others?

yes, I'm Christian. I'd like to help strangers, but not at the expense of my body parts, unless they're immediate family members.
yes, I'm Christian. I'd like to help strangers, but not at the expense of my body parts, unless they're immediate family members.

As a Christian surely you believe that your body is not needed upon death? And if you’re willing to donate to close family then why not other people. At the end of the day we are all human and should support each other as a species
As a Christian surely you believe that your body is not needed upon death? And if you’re willing to donate to close family then why not other people. At the end of the day we are all human and should support each other as a species

correct, it's not needed at all, God will give me a new one anyway when Jesus comes back.

because family members I know, other people are strangers who I don't know at all. I think it's up to the individual if they want to support others in this particular manner, I personally don't want to (not for religious reasons, just my own preference).

Do you want your body preserved so it doesn’t rot?

Quick Reply

Latest