The Student Room Group

Retake A levels or not ?

I achieved ABC in my A levels in Biology, Geography and Economics. I took a gap year and worked at a law firm for work experience. I am doing geography at Southampton university and I hope to go onto to do the GDL course to eventually go into law. Should I retake my biology a level (C) at first uni year as law is very competitive and I may need higher grades for the big law firms? PleSe help!!

Scroll to see replies

Did u go thru clearing or something?
Reply 2
Needed ABB, so accepted me because only one grade lower.
Original post by Emma654321
Needed ABB, so accepted me because only one grade lower.

Yea oh okay, how hard is it to get an A, like damn i got a b this yr in geog and it kind annoyed me that I didn’t do better, rly clulda got an A with more revision and in class listening
Ps dont bother retaking.. you have a place at a good uni so
Reply 6
Original post by Emma654321
I achieved ABC in my A levels in Biology, Geography and Economics. I took a gap year and worked at a law firm for work experience. I am doing geography at Southampton university and I hope to go onto to do the GDL course to eventually go into law. Should I retake my biology a level (C) at first uni year as law is very competitive and I may need higher grades for the big law firms? PleSe help!!

A lot of law firms want BBB at A level as a minimum so would not be worst idea.
Reply 7
Technically BBB is same as ABC though ? Works out to same ucas points etc..
Reply 8
Original post by D7654321

Not about UCAS points at law firms its about the grades and BBB minimum for decent firms.
Reply 9
So you think I don’t really have much chance with ABC?
So you think I don’t really have much chance with ABC?

Why don't you talk to the law firm you worked for and get their take .
Reply 11
Original post by Christiantaylor
Yea oh okay, how hard is it to get an A, like damn i got a b this yr in geog and it kind annoyed me that I didn’t do better, rly clulda got an A with more revision and in class listening

I worked so hard for that A in geography and was 4 marks off an A*. I found it very difficult.
I worked so hard for that A in geography and was 4 marks off an A*. I found it very difficult.

Damn, i didnt revise until near exams

Why didn’t you retake during your gap year?
Original post by Stefanidi
Why didn’t you retake during your gap year?

I was thinking that but a bit late now.
Reply 15
Original post by Scotney
I was thinking that but a bit late now.

Because I got this law job which was full time and I honestly wouldn’t of had the time to get a good grade.

That’s not really how it works. Contact law firms directly and see how they respond. It depends how ‘high’ you’re aiming. ‘Top’ law firms require I believe at least ABB, I’m not sure if retaking now is worth it especially because I assume you’re busy at university.
This is a really difficult one because most big Law firms require A level grades in the range AAB-BBB but you are going to a good uni and (far more unusually) have a year's work experience at a Law firm. Had you asked this question this time last year, I would definitely have said retake your A levels, or at least retake that C grade alongside your job, but I don't really think it's feasible now to retake it alongside your degree. It is more important to focus on your degree and aim to get 2.1s in each module.

I agree with @Scotney that you should talk to the firm you worked for, see how they would view it? High street firms are likely to be more lenient on grades, but they don't have as many training contracts on offer as the big firms. You can see from this list the sort of grade requirements they ask for, and that it would be possible to apply strategically to firms NOT stipulating they want higher grades. Although you will definitely be up against other applicants with higher grades than you, the fact that you have a year's work experience in a Law firm could be your unique selling point, as long as you were doing useful work there.

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms/getting-a-training-contract/application-and-selection-criteria
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by harrysbar
This is a really difficult one because most big Law firms require A level grades in the range AAB-BBB but you are going to a good uni and (far more unusually) have a year's work experience at a Law firm. Had you asked this question this time last year, I would definitely have said retake your A levels, or at least retake that C grade alongside your job, but I don't really think it's feasible now to retake it alongside your degree. It is more important to focus on your degree and aim to get 2.1s in each module.

I agree with @Scotney that you should talk to the firm you worked for, see how they would view it? High street firms are likely to be more lenient on grades, but they don't have as many training contracts on offer as the big firms. You can see from this list the sort of grade requirements they ask for, and that it would be possible to apply strategically to firms NOT stipulating they want higher grades. Although you will definitely be up against other applicants with higher grades than you, the fact that you have a year's work experience in a Law firm could be your unique selling point, as long as you were doing useful work there.

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms/getting-a-training-contract/application-and-selection-criteria

I thought the A and B were good grades and wouldn’t consider retaking them. The c I was really disappointed with. So you don’t think it is atall possible to retake the biology in first year of uni if worked really hard? Also I thought ABC would be comparable to BBB..
I thought the A and B were good grades and wouldn’t consider retaking them. The c I was really disappointed with. So you don’t think it is atall possible to retake the biology in first year of uni if worked really hard? Also I thought ABC would be comparable to BBB..

Other people have also told you that whilst ABC is comparable to BBB in terms of points, it is not viewed exactly the same and some Law firms stipulate BBB as you can see from the link I posted above (there are a few firms that put it in terms of points, but not many).

I suppose it isn't impossible to retake Biology A level alongside first year of uni, but I'm not sure how practical it would be since it could impact upon your undergraduate level studies and there might even be a clash in the exam dates? Overall, I think you missed an opportunity to retake it last year and now you are better off focussing on your degree and just applying strategically to Law firms when the time comes

Quick Reply

Latest