The Student Room Group

Should I carry on with maths or change to psychology

I got my AS results back:A in Biology A in Chemistry E in MathsI did not revise maths much until the last week before the exam due to pretty bad personal circumstances but was able to successfully cram chemistry and biology in the last 2 months approx, as maths isn’t really a subject that you can succeed in without practice unless you’re extremely talented at it. I could either carry on with maths or change it to psychology but having an A level in maths would be significantly more beneficial to me. Is it at all possible to go from an E to an A in maths with a lot of effort as I would need an A or at least a B to go on to study what I want to. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Hi! I do psychology A level and the content for AQA is quite intense and I think you'd be better off sticking with your maths. If you were to take psychology instead, would you stay behind a year to get an A level in it or just take it as AS? I think if you drop maths then it's technically a wasted year as that AS grade won't really be valuable to you. But if you were to carry it on and turn it into an A level making sure it's a pass at least, it would be better. If your math skill is good and it was just the lack of revision then perhaps it isn't the end of the world and you really can transform that grade to become what you need it to. However if you feel you lack the ability to get to the grades you require for your next step then maybe it won't be worth it. Have you already got your predicted grades for maths/ is your AS grade going to affect it? I think the key differences in maths and psychology is that in Maths you're learning more methods and how to do things rather than theories and studies etc which is a lot more content to grasp. Last year we did Memory, Psychopathology (so like depression, anxiety, OCD), attachment, Research methods which is an absolutely massive topic, Biopsychology and lastly, Approaches. I think sticking with maths really will be the best thing for you considering all of this and the work you put in will be worth it. You can definitely do it but seek all the help you need with the ideal end result in mind. Good luck!
Original post by iwtbav
I got my AS results back:A in Biology A in Chemistry E in MathsI did not revise maths much until the last week before the exam due to pretty bad personal circumstances but was able to successfully cram chemistry and biology in the last 2 months approx, as maths isn’t really a subject that you can succeed in without practice unless you’re extremely talented at it. I could either carry on with maths or change it to psychology but having an A level in maths would be significantly more beneficial to me. Is it at all possible to go from an E to an A in maths with a lot of effort as I would need an A or at least a B to go on to study what I want to. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Trying to learn the content of an A Level in a year sounds like a bad idea to me. I think you should stick with maths and increase your effort.
I would suggest retaking math AS and continuing with it to A level.It's almost impossible for an E at AS to become A at A2. So retake math AS, aim for an A and you should be able to come out with A/A*. You've got As at bio and chem so it is very much possible for you to get A*s in them at A2. So retake math AS and you very much come out with A*A*A*.
Reply 4
Original post by laurrenn
Hi! I do psychology A level and the content for AQA is quite intense and I think you'd be better off sticking with your maths. If you were to take psychology instead, would you stay behind a year to get an A level in it or just take it as AS? I think if you drop maths then it's technically a wasted year as that AS grade won't really be valuable to you. But if you were to carry it on and turn it into an A level making sure it's a pass at least, it would be better. If your math skill is good and it was just the lack of revision then perhaps it isn't the end of the world and you really can transform that grade to become what you need it to. However if you feel you lack the ability to get to the grades you require for your next step then maybe it won't be worth it. Have you already got your predicted grades for maths/ is your AS grade going to affect it? I think the key differences in maths and psychology is that in Maths you're learning more methods and how to do things rather than theories and studies etc which is a lot more content to grasp. Last year we did Memory, Psychopathology (so like depression, anxiety, OCD), attachment, Research methods which is an absolutely massive topic, Biopsychology and lastly, Approaches. I think sticking with maths really will be the best thing for you considering all of this and the work you put in will be worth it. You can definitely do it but seek all the help you need with the ideal end result in mind. Good luck!

Hi, thank you for your input. Just to help clarify a few things, if I were to do maths, or psychology for that matter I would be doing it at a tutorial college as a one year intensive course that is designed for students who haven’t done as well as they might have hoped in their AS, and carry on with biology and chemistry in my current state school. I was predicted 3 As at the beginning of the year as I had achieved 9s in biology and chemistry and 8s in everything else. Also I think it is worth noting that I’m not a complete stranger to psychology as I was sort of emotionally blackmailed into helping another student with their AS levels: psychology, sociology and philosophy so I have learned and taught over half of each of these AS levels to this person, although I would definitely need to go over the content again as I wasn’t actively trying to memorise it. As a subject I find psychology easier to understand than maths but I do understand how content heavy it is whereas maths is more about practicing and developing problem solving skills, which I wasn’t able to do much of in year 12. The tutorial college seems quite good and they’ve had people do A levels in a year and get As or A*s. Their approach is quite different to most schools as they have a lot of one on one tutoring, class sizes of around 4 students only and make you do practice papers every week. Given this extra information does your advice change?
Reply 5
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS
I would suggest retaking math AS and continuing with it to A level.It's almost impossible for an E at AS to become A at A2. So retake math AS, aim for an A and you should be able to come out with A/A*. You've got As at bio and chem so it is very much possible for you to get A*s in them at A2. So retake math AS and you very much come out with A*A*A*.

Hi, thank you for your response. Unfortunately to study what I want to I would have to complete all my A levels within 2 years unless there are extenuating circumstances. I’m not entirely sure if I would fit into this category but if it turns out that I don’t I couldn’t do them in 3 years even if I was just retaking maths. Please see my response to the other person who replied for more clarity on my situation and if you can let me know what you think is best. Thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by Sir Cumference
Trying to learn the content of an A Level in a year sounds like a bad idea to me. I think you should stick with maths and increase your effort.

Hi, thank you for your advice. However, do you think it’s possible to do from an E to at least a B in maths? I’ve heard of it happen with biology, history, geography and other more content heavy subjects but not really in maths, perhaps because that is more of a skill and requires solid foundations to build onto at A2. Please read my response to laurrenn for more clarity on the situation and let me know what you think if possible. Thank you!
Even as a one year intensive course I would heavily discourage you from taking psych or for that matter even cramming math into one year. If you do that, you would not be able to focus on bio and chem.

Quick Reply

Latest