The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham uni accommodation- liberty Gardens

Uhhh , so I applied for accommodation for Birmingham uni and I got liberty gardens. Upset because I wanted either tennis court or maple bank. But I didn’t get them. I’ve now done research into liberty gardens and found it’s a 40 min walk from Campus, which is very annoying. Plus it’s not a lively as the other accommodations. Not really sure what to think or to do. I don’t mind it’s quiet as long as I’m still living the uni life. I just can’t feel with that commute especially if I have a 9 am! If ur staying in liberty gardens hit me up also.

Scroll to see replies

I have no specifics about Birmingham but if I were you I'd look into private halls, often cheaper than uni run halls and sometimes closer to campus (depends on the city, as I said I don't know specifics about Birmingham). Good luck :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Hey, I got allocated Liberty Gardens too-and I'm similarly put out about the distance from the uni, especially given how strongly campus based Birmingham is. I wasn't expecting to have to deal with this in 1st year. I guess I'm just going to have to take my bike with me, but I don't know if they will have any facilities to keep it.
(edited 4 years ago)
I’m exactly the same! Going to be living in liberty gardens but really wanted tennis courts :frown: it sucks, but will just have to make the most of it!
I got Liberty Court and it wasn't even on my list of preferences. I don't even know if I can change.
Reply 5
If you can afford the train, Five Ways station is close to Liberty Gardens (5/10 minute walk), which will then get you to University station in under 5 minutes, and the trains run frequently. I think it's something like £3 return, which isn't too bad considering Liberty Gardens is cheaper than some of the closer comparable accommodation, and it would save you getting up too early for 9am lectures :smile:
I'm also not very happy about the distance from uni :frown: was hoping to cycle but liberty gardens doesn't allow us to bring our bikes into our rooms (which makes sense) but I don't know if there are storage to keep bicycles
I stayed in Liberty Court my first year and had a few people I knew on my course that stayed at Liberty Gardens.

I definitely think there is bike storage available at Liberty Gardens. Even though it is far away from the uni you still get the full uni experience I feel. There’s no set level of liveliness for any accommodation, it depends on who is there each year. There will always be those who love a night out or prefer a night in at any accommodation.

I was so disappointed with my allocation originally. But I believe everything happens for a reason. I met my friends who I’ve been living with for the past year! I wouldn’t have if I was living somewhere else.

If you’ve got any questions about the accommodation, feel free to ask me!
Original post by MissNatTheCat
I stayed in Liberty Court my first year and had a few people I knew on my course that stayed at Liberty Gardens.

I definitely think there is bike storage available at Liberty Gardens. Even though it is far away from the uni you still get the full uni experience I feel. There’s no set level of liveliness for any accommodation, it depends on who is there each year. There will always be those who love a night out or prefer a night in at any accommodation.

I was so disappointed with my allocation originally. But I believe everything happens for a reason. I met my friends who I’ve been living with for the past year! I wouldn’t have if I was living somewhere else.

How was liberty Court?

Hi there. Just wondering what the bus service is like from liberty Court to the medical school? Sad that I've been placed so far away!!
Original post by Eniola_16
How was liberty Court?

I enjoyed it! Made friends on my course and often we would walk in together. Think it takes roughly 30 minutes to walk which seems long but you get used to it for sure. Rooms were decent, not big but they had everything you could need.
Original post by tsruser17
Hi there. Just wondering what the bus service is like from liberty Court to the medical school? Sad that I've been placed so far away!!

The bus was good for when it was raining or we were feeling lazy. Admittedly it does leave Liberty Court at 5 or 10 past the hour if I remember correctly. So if you’ve got a 9am, the bus is at 8:10 and then you’ve got about 25 minutes to kill when you get to uni. Not as useful on the way back though as often it would be quicker to walk back than to hang around and wait for the bus. Overall I found the bus useful for sure.
Reply 12

I've just been given Battery Park (new for 2019 located near Jarratt Hall) and am a bit disappointed.

How much would you say you miss out on by not being on the Vale, especially with regards to the social side of things?

Also are there any disadvantages to being in partner accommodation rather than accommodation owned by the university?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 06rg11
I've just been given Battery Park (new for 2019 located near Jarratt Hall) and am a bit disappointed.

How much would you say you miss out on by not being on the Vale, especially with regards to the social side of things?

Also are there any disadvantages to being in partner accommodation rather than accommodation owned by the university?

I would say you absolutely don’t miss out at all! I wasn’t keen on any of the accommodation there anyway but that is obviously my opinion.

I didn’t notice any disadvantages myself, I really enjoyed my first year in Liberty Court. I’m sure you’ll still meet plenty of sociable people at Battery Park. Pretty sure it’s also only UOB students there but it is just partner owed. Although I would assume that based on the big UOB crest on the side of the building.

I think you’ll be good. The accommodation is newly built, nobody has lived there before. If you’re on one of he high floors the views would be amazing. You’re right next to a huge Sainsbury’s. I think with the vale, there isn’t much nearby in the way of places to do grocery shopping which I think many forget is an important thing.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
I would say you absolutely don’t miss out at all! I wasn’t keen on any of the accommodation there anyway but that is obviously my opinion.

I didn’t notice any disadvantages myself, I really enjoyed my first year in Liberty Court. I’m sure you’ll still meet plenty of sociable people at Battery Park. Pretty sure it’s also only UOB students there but it is just partner owed. Although I would assume that based on the big UOB crest on the side of the building.

I think you’ll be good. The accommodation is newly built, nobody has lived there before. If you’re on one of he high floors the views would be amazing. You’re right next to a huge Sainsbury’s. I think with the vale, there isn’t much nearby in the way of places to do grocery shopping which I think many forget is an important thing.

Sorry for being late getting back to you. I just wanted to thank you for taking your time to respond to me and I am feeling a lot more positive about the accommodation I have been given now. Thank you.
Hello !

As you are a liberty garden resident, can you please tell me how the future installments are paid. I paid my initial 200 pounds for booking the room my clicking on the linking provided on the website .But now for future installments I can't see any relevant icon or link. Its mentioned that future installments are automatically charged. Does it mean that the required amount will be automatically from my credit card . Please reply me soon . Today is the deadline date and I can't even contact someone because its a Sunday .Thanks
Can anyone please tell me how the later installments are paid. I paid 200 pounds by clicking on the link in the email for booking my room. But now I don't know how to pay the 2nd installment. Today is the DEADLINE for paying it and due to a Sunday I can't even contact someone. There is no link provided to make this payment . However, it is mentioned that future installments are made automatically. Does it mean that the required amount will be automatically deducted from my credit card ?

Please anyone help me.
Reply 17
Original post by feeza sikandar
Can anyone please tell me how the later installments are paid. I paid 200 pounds by clicking on the link in the email for booking my room. But now I don't know how to pay the 2nd installment. Today is the DEADLINE for paying it and due to a Sunday I can't even contact someone. There is no link provided to make this payment . However, it is mentioned that future installments are made automatically. Does it mean that the required amount will be automatically deducted from my credit card ?

Please anyone help me.

I think it automatically takes the money from the card you paid with.
The bus was good for when it was raining or we were feeling lazy. Admittedly it does leave Liberty Court at 5 or 10 past the hour if I remember correctly. So if you’ve got a 9am, the bus is at 8:10 and then you’ve got about 25 minutes to kill when you get to uni. Not as useful on the way back though as often it would be quicker to walk back than to hang around and wait for the bus. Overall I found the bus useful for sure.

Thanks for your reply :smile: just wondering if you travelled by bus directly to the clubs in freshers week, or if walking was okay? Also, if you used buses often, is there any kind of bus pass available to save money? I've heard that liberty Court do a free bus service to the uni in the morning, but I don't know if this is true? Thanks again!
Original post by Bribrid
I think it automatically takes the money from the card you paid with.

yeah, that's correct. Thank you so much for your reply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending