The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2021 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hahahha no worries I’m struggling too :smile: What about this one 6E791659-5474-478A-8CE3-D004E3A467FF.jpg.jpeg
How has everyone found the start of a levels
Reply 22
Original post by Wannabemedic1960
How has everyone found the start of a levels

So far so good, how about you
Yeah same most of them have just been a recap of GCSEs so nothing too hard.
Original post by m_j_
So far so good, how about you

I’ve found them fine. Has anyone else’s teacher said they need to do extra reading if the want to get above a D grade😭
Yes - interested in medicine - got 10 GCSEs : 6x9, 1x8, 3x7 - considering Cambridge, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Lancaster - what's the probability of success for one being called for an interview - with A-levels being similar to the GCSE results & UCAT scores being average?

if these results are good enough should one also consider : Imperial, Cardiff, Birmingham & Leeds?
What is everyone doing for the ‘extra curricular’ aspect of their application? I’ve done a fair amount of work experience and volunteering, but need to get started on some things outside of academia!

I’m hoping to apply to the medical schools that look more at the personal statement than the grades, as my GCSEs don’t quite seem as strong as some other applicants... Is anyone aware of any universities that put more emphasis on the personal statement than grades?
it's literally impossible getting work experience where I live - phoned three different gps and a hospital !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by mpaprika
it's literally impossible getting work experience where I live - phoned three different gps and a hospital !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s worth keeping in mind that work experience doesn’t necessarily HAVE to be in a hospital or GP environment- I did a week at a private physio and learnt a lot about the important qualities of working with patients. I did some volunteering at an old people’s home for patients with dementia, and there, I learnt how to communicate with those with dementia, as well as how it affects people.

These are just examples, but it goes to show that there are many valuable lessons you can learn, even if you aren’t in a hospital environment. It’s also worth remembering that universities are aware of how challenging it is to find hospital placements- I was at UCL open day yesterday, and they said that any work experience in which you learn about the important qualities of a doctor are valuable. As long as you can reflect on what you learnt in your personal statement, you should be fine. :smile:
Original post by munawaralikhan
Yes - interested in medicine - got 10 GCSEs : 6x9, 1x8, 3x7 - considering Cambridge, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Lancaster - what's the probability of success for one being called for an interview - with A-levels being similar to the GCSE results & UCAT scores being average?

if these results are good enough should one also consider : Imperial, Cardiff, Birmingham & Leeds?

Yo, I got the exact same results.
hello!! anyone here doing bio chem maths and sociology? just wanting to let you fellas know, that gcses aren’t actually that of a great significance (well oxbridge yeah)! a-levels, ucat/bmat, personal statements and such are much more important, including the interviews! so let’s spend this year achieving great things, both academically and extra curricular 😔 medical work experience and volunteering is important too so please sort those out!!
eyy gang gang
Original post by no09214
Yo, I got the exact same results.

Me too 😁
Original post by Omerkkkkk
Me too 😁

For Real?
Will doing one hour a day for a year be enough to achieve 3200+ in the UCAT?
Original post by MangoTangoo
What is everyone doing for the ‘extra curricular’ aspect of their application? I’ve done a fair amount of work experience and volunteering, but need to get started on some things outside of academia!

I’m hoping to apply to the medical schools that look more at the personal statement than the grades, as my GCSEs don’t quite seem as strong as some other applicants... Is anyone aware of any universities that put more emphasis on the personal statement than grades?

i’m thinking of joining the medical society in my sixth form, run a club, and perhaps join a sports club!! you can pretty much do anything tbh, ncs, reading on medicine, summer school, going to medicine career talks and such are good too!
For extracurriculars I’m going to join medics society and dissection society at my school. I also really want do Mun as it’s something not medically related and sounds fun. I’m going to carry on volunteering at my local care home and think I’ll do an EPQ next year
Original post by Wannabemedic1960
For extracurriculars I’m going to join medics society and dissection society at my school. I also really want do Mun as it’s something not medically related and sounds fun. I’m going to carry on volunteering at my local care home and think I’ll do an EPQ next year

mun?:eyeball:
It’s short for Mock United Nations. I really like the sound of it and I’m really interested in current affairs
Is anyone doing Cambridge Pre U Global Perspectives and Independent research . I am thinking of taking that instead of EPQ

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending