The Student Room Group

EPQ

So I'm deciding to do an EPQ but i have 2 topics in mind that i would liek to base it around two of these topics is gaming and football. Which topic should i do and if anyone has any suggestions what i should explore within the topic please tell me. I'm leaning more towards football.
Are you planning on going to university and if so what course? Generally it's best to do an EPQ related to what you want to do in the future.

What kind of topics of debate are you interested in with these two topics (e.g. Gender andd gaming, aggression and gaming, racism in football, etc.) You don't have to a have a full title by the start as long as you at least have a good idea for a topic. Make sure what you choose is something you can debate too e.g. "The history of football" wouldn't work as that's entirely descriptive but something like "Can the level of pay of footballers be justified?" would work as you can research two sides of the argument and come to a conclusion.
To add onto the above, it also depends on what kind of project you do. If you decide to do a dissertation, then definitely it's better to choose something you can debate, but if you do an artefact project (i.e. making something) then that's less important.
And DEFINITELY make sure it's something you're interested in! EPQ was compulsory at my college and so many people chose topics just because they sounded impressive, but ended up being bored out of their minds by the end of the year.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Are you planning on going to university and if so what course? Generally it's best to do an EPQ related to what you want to do in the future.

What kind of topics of debate are you interested in with these two topics (e.g. Gender andd gaming, aggression and gaming, racism in football, etc.) You don't have to a have a full title by the start as long as you at least have a good idea for a topic. Make sure what you choose is something you can debate too e.g. "The history of football" wouldn't work as that's entirely descriptive but something like "Can the level of pay of footballers be justified?" would work as you can research two sides of the argument and come to a conclusion.

okay thank you. would university look at my EPQ and the topic that i've chosen. Im looking to go on to do medicine so would my EPQ affect my chances
Reply 4
Original post by ToffeeJoy
To add onto the above, it also depends on what kind of project you do. If you decide to do a dissertation, then definitely it's better to choose something you can debate, but if you do an artefact project (i.e. making something) then that's less important.
And DEFINITELY make sure it's something you're interested in! EPQ was compulsory at my college and so many people chose topics just because they sounded impressive, but ended up being bored out of their minds by the end of the year.

yh i agree its important to choose a topic tha im intrested.
Original post by replaythat
okay thank you. would university look at my EPQ and the topic that i've chosen. Im looking to go on to do medicine so would my EPQ affect my chances

Some universities look at EPQ grade and topic when making offers (sometimes lowering or changing them because you have an epq) however this is almost always not the case with medical schools. Having an EPQ can help in interviews/personal statement to have something to talk about though. It's best if it's related to your degree choice however as the other poster said, it also has to be something you're interested in.
SOS

Will marks be deducted if my epq presentation's title is different from the essay's final draft title? Going for the A * prediction. I presented it last week and decided to change the title today.

Original: Does the influence of Heredity and Environmental Factors on intelligence changes with age

New: What is intelligence and its influential factors

or something else please help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending