The Student Room Group

Anxiety about college

So I have really bad anxiety and have done 2 days so far. We are starting proper lessons tomorrow and I really don't want to go ( first 2 days was just with tutor group). So I have completely lost my appetite and haven't eaten a proper meal since Thursday. Is this normal with anxiety ( losing appetite)? Can someone please give me advice on how to make the start of college easier?
Original post by Anonymous
So I have really bad anxiety and have done 2 days so far. We are starting proper lessons tomorrow and I really don't want to go ( first 2 days was just with tutor group). So I have completely lost my appetite and haven't eaten a proper meal since Thursday. Is this normal with anxiety ( losing appetite)? Can someone please give me advice on how to make the start of college easier?

I had super bad anxiety throughout my GCSEs and it was awful when I started college - I barely ate for the first two weeks. I’m now just about to start uni and I’ve found a few things that work for me.

First, meals that you can ‘pick’ at. E.g for lunch I used to take grapes, crackers and hummus, some carrot sticks, crisps etc. Food that I didn’t have to worry to much about and I could eat throughout the day. I find eating a cracker, or even 2 carrot sticks every half hour much more manageable. Not ideal, but when my anxiety is bad it’s my only option!

Second, meals at home (so breakfast and tea) I used to chuck on a TV show or film that either made me laughed or that I enjoyed that calms me and takes my mind off of what’s making me anxious. Once I’m a bit calmer I’ll then go and grab the meal and then I’m enjoying the programme rather than concentrating on trying to eat.

Finally, remember that you’re not the only one! There will definitely be other members of your college that also have anxiety. There will also be plenty of people that are nervous and struggling to eat! In a few weeks once you’re in a group of friends and you’re settled, you’ll think how you’re feeling now seems so silly!!

You will get through this. The fact you’re even going to college is a huge achievement - and don’t forget that!!! You’ve got this!! Bob me a message if you need someone to talk to!!❤️❤️
Reply 2
Original post by elliebeebee43
I had super bad anxiety throughout my GCSEs and it was awful when I started college - I barely ate for the first two weeks. I’m now just about to start uni and I’ve found a few things that work for me.

First, meals that you can ‘pick’ at. E.g for lunch I used to take grapes, crackers and hummus, some carrot sticks, crisps etc. Food that I didn’t have to worry to much about and I could eat throughout the day. I find eating a cracker, or even 2 carrot sticks every half hour much more manageable. Not ideal, but when my anxiety is bad it’s my only option!

Second, meals at home (so breakfast and tea) I used to chuck on a TV show or film that either made me laughed or that I enjoyed that calms me and takes my mind off of what’s making me anxious. Once I’m a bit calmer I’ll then go and grab the meal and then I’m enjoying the programme rather than concentrating on trying to eat.

Finally, remember that you’re not the only one! There will definitely be other members of your college that also have anxiety. There will also be plenty of people that are nervous and struggling to eat! In a few weeks once you’re in a group of friends and you’re settled, you’ll think how you’re feeling now seems so silly!!

You will get through this. The fact you’re even going to college is a huge achievement - and don’t forget that!!! You’ve got this!! Bob me a message if you need someone to talk to!!❤️❤️

Thank you for this xx
I spoke to my tutor on Thursday/ Friday and she is really understanding and said she would check up on me later in our lesson but I don't know how my other teachers will react if I am really anxious

Quick Reply

Latest