The Student Room Group

Trump calls off Afghan peace talks

A slight over reaction, and a damn fool move, on his part it would seem.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49628290

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Right… he acts as if the taliban had something to gain from these talks? When it’s the USA/Afghan people&gov gaining from them
Original post by Napp

I not so sure. A lot of the mainstream Conservative commentariat in the USA considered that Trump was selling the Afghan people down the river by these talks and handing victory on a plate to the Taliban.

Trump’s actions have allowed him to pull back from this whilst saving face.
Reply 3
Original post by nulli tertius
I not so sure. A lot of the mainstream Conservative commentariat in the USA considered that Trump was selling the Afghan people down the river by these talks and handing victory on a plate to the Taliban.

Trump’s actions have allowed him to pull back from this whilst saving face.

The Taliban won this war some time ago. The Afghan government, and by extension the yanks, control no territory worth a damn there unlike the insurgents. Whilst its never overly palatable to be seen to be capitulating in the global commons its better than being seen to be receiving a beating.
Reply 4
On Thursday, a Kabul car bombing carried out by the Taliban killed 12 people, including a US soldier. A Romanian soldier serving with the Nato-led mission was also killed.

This is why Trump called it off, the Taliban have to stop murdering people like this before the talks. It's quite possible that there will be some anti-Trump rag suggesting Trump may have ordered this bombing to ruin the talks after pretending to be interested in them, the sky is the limit.

But the Taliban had never agreed to end their violent campaign against Afghan and foreign forces while the peace talks were taking place. Sixteen US troops have been killed this year.

This is the BBC still trying to make it look bad on him somehow. Well, they'd never agreed to a ceasefire so... it was alright for them to do it.
Reply 5
Original post by z-hog
This is why Trump called it off, the Taliban have to stop murdering people like this before the talks.

That isnt how an insurrection works... never mind the fact i rather doubt those in the Taliban care what peoples moral opinion on this is, their method works and theyre winning.

This is the BBC still trying to make it look bad on him somehow. Well, they'd never agreed to a ceasefire so... it was alright for them to do it.

Again, this is how revolts are. The BBC is merely stating a fact here, if he looks like a tool... well.
Reply 6
Original post by Napp
Again, this is how revolts are. The BBC is merely stating a fact here, if he looks like a tool... well.

Did you know that the attack in Kabul last week was on the US embassy?
Reply 7
Original post by z-hog
Did you know that the attack in Kabul last week was on the US embassy?

Nope but i fail to see how that is overly relevant? Its not exactly a secret that the Taliban are fans of these tactics.
Reply 8
Original post by Napp
Nope but i fail to see how that is overly relevant? Its not exactly a secret that the Taliban are fans of these tactics.

Oh, you didn't know that. Not your fault, I can't find any mention of it in the BBC link either because they INTENTIONALLY/DELIBERATELY/WILFULLY set out to hide it from public view in their effort to make Trump look as bad as possible. Absolute nause, really.

Is it that irrelevant for them to have secret talks booked with Trump and go out and do this? You're right that it's a customary tactic of theirs but I wouldn't blame Trump for standing up to them. I actually fully afree with him on this one.
Reply 9
Original post by z-hog
Oh, you didn't know that. Not your fault, I can't find any mention of it in the BBC link either because they INTENTIONALLY/DELIBERATELY/WILFULLY set out to hide it from public view in their effort to make Trump look as bad as possible. Absolute nause, really.

No, i literally just said that. Then again thats not really the root of my interest. as i said, in ones view, it really matters not whom or what they blew up.
You're kidding right?

Is it that irrelevant for them to have secret talks booked with Trump and go out and do this? You're right that it's a customary tactic of theirs but I wouldn't blame Trump for standing up to them. I actually fully afree with him on this one.

Hardly secret these days, anyone who even has a passing interest in this conflict knows that theyve been talking for some time now.
I'm not sure id call this 'standing up' though. It might, in the short term, play well politically but this will only end up with more yanks (and ISAF for that matter) troops in body bags. Whichever way you look at this the Taliban are on the up and will win this war.
Reply 10
A recent escalation of violence had deepened fears that a looming US-Taliban agreement would not end the daily fighting in Afghanistan and its toll on civilians.

Yet Kabul residents on Sunday questioned why the death of one US soldier should scupper prospects for peace.

"So, the Afghans who have been losing their sweet lives during all these years, is their blood worthless?" asked one grocery shop owner who spoke to the BBC's Pashto language service.

An obviously shared feeling with the BBC crew, fancy not talking to the Taliban just for that. Trump is a very bad man, get that kids.
Trump does not want peace. Trump wants pieces. Pieces of foreign countries torn up to supply America with oil.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Trump does not want peace. Trump wants pieces. Pieces of foreign countries torn up to supply America with oil.

How much oil does the US get from Afghanistan...?
Reply 13
"If they cannot agree to a ceasefire during these very important peace talks, and would even kill 12 innocent people, then they probably don't have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway," Trump tweeted, adding that the Taliban sought to "build false leverage".

"I immediately cancelled the meeting and called off peace negotiations. What kind of people would kill so many in order to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position?" Trump said.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/09/trump-called-peace-talks-taliban-attack-190908014028311.html
Original post by z-hog

You ignored this part....

On Thursday, a Kabul car bombing carried out by the Taliban killed 12 people, including a US soldier. A Romanian soldier serving with the Nato-led mission was also killed.

And the link to the full story contained on that page....

Afghanistan violence: Car bomb attack in Kabul kills 10 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-49592971

So either you were too idle to read the entire article or you INTENTIONALLY/DELIBERATELY/WILFULLY are trying to misled. Absolute nause, really.
Reply 15
Original post by _Wellies_
You ignored this part....

Only thing I ignored was the BBC's suggestion that it was just another bombing down the market because that would make Trump look picky, anyone confined to their report would be excused for thinking that. It wasn't, it was clearly aimed and perfectly in tune with the Taliban tactics of raising pressure before any talks. Reading BBC news is more about finding what's left out, al-Jaz are a much more credible news outlet despite their own inevitable bias.

The blast took place on Thursday in Shash Darak, a heavily fortified area adjacent to the Green Zone and home to several important complexes, including the National Directorate of Security (NDS), the Afghan intelligence service, and the US embassy.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/09/afghanistan-explosion-rocks-diplomatic-area-kabul-190905060354420.html
Original post by Napp

Well that man wants to Nuke someone before he leaves the office. He has no intention of peace whatsoever.
Reply 17
Original post by thelocalkid
Well that man wants to Nuke someone before he leaves the office. He has no intention of peace whatsoever.

He wants to pull US troops out, that what he's looking for.
Original post by AngeryPenguin

Original post by Drewski
How much oil does the US get from Afghanistan...?

You heard it first from IdentityPenguin - Afghanistan is stuffed full of oil and the Americans want it! They have a fleet of tankers on stand-by to ship it out through the Kyber Canal.
The US government is tripping over itself in a rush to pull US forces out of the Middle East, when it is plainly apparent their continued presence is vital. These negotiations with the Taliban are being conducted with this end goal in mind, which gives the Taliban a huge amount of leverage, as they know the US government is desperate to pull out of the country. The cost of withdrawing from Afghanistan may well be to sacrifice an entire generation in parts of the country to live under a despotic, fundamentalist government, and leave the entire nation at risk of going back to exactly where it was at the start of this century. If that happens, every civilian and every soldier who has died in this war will have died for nothing. What are we supposed to say to the people who are going to be tossed to the wolves as the price of peace? It's their future and their freedom on the line here. Lets face it, the Afghan government cannot hold back the Taliban forever, as recent events have demonstrated, nor will they be able to uphold human rights or the law in Taliban-held regions, not to mention the fact that new terrorist organisations are bound to flourish under Taliban protection. The Americans started this, they should have the integrity to finish it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending