The Student Room Group

What level are my GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Was this when AS levels were counted?
(edited 4 years ago)
It really did thank you very much also I know my comment is in shambles so sorry but I was in a really bad state didn't help that I was sick.
Thanks again it did help
Original post by deutschbag
Right umm... well, first of all, your exams are over 2 years away, so don't stress too much about your academics just yet. Now, nobody will be able to get you out of this rut other than yourself, so make subtle changes in your life. Perhaps set a timer for netflix so you can't binge like we all want to, or take up running (highly recommended). Also, try to be proactive and not procrastinate too much - do your homework and all that. You don't need to be performing especially well but this will allow you to identify your weak points and, paradoxically, give you a big confidence boost in most cases. You'll see where you struggle, and there might be quite a few places where you do, but you'll know that you can target those things and improve them.

Secondly, take a step back and think about what you want to achieve, i.e., do you want a 5 in maths? A 6? Same for computer science. Just setting your goals down gives you a surprising feeling of security and determination to work towards them. If you can't drop Spanish you might just have to live with it, but I expect you should be able to drop it as a second language isn't compulsory.

As far as the friend situation goes... idk. Don't confront them as this will probably hurt them and just cause unneeded friction, maybe just don't go out of your way to see them? Hmm... I usually just drift away from people.

Hope this helped at least a little :smile:

Thank you it really did help sorry if my comment was in shambles it didn't help that i was sick i will listen to you
Thank you
Original post by sb10
It definitely will play in your favour, you need to be passionate about your subject. I know what you mean with being interested in many different things which is why it is important to take your time in choosing what you want to study but there’s nothing wrong with being interested in many different subjects.

Yeah I was considering taking the international baccalaureate which would have allowed me to take 6 courses but it involved maths so I noped out
Original post by Hi anyone there?
I’m starting my GCSE’s and you have some amazing results and I would appreciate it if you could share some tips with me as my grades are :frown: thanks man

Well I want to start off by saying it really is not impossible to get high grades even if you don't think you're that smart. I've never been considered to be a brainy kid so I just worked hard... and I know that I could have done better if I had worked harder.
You don't need to start revising for ages, but I would suggest that you start to make the materials that you are going to use to revise later on; flashcards and the like (quizlet is great for this).
I literally never revised maths as I simply could not stand it but I already regret not doing so - if you work hard at it you should be able to rise by a grade or even two. This applies to any subject - literature was my other weakness and I managed to get my first 8.

Also, don't stress! Tackle your GCSEs slowly with plenty of time and you will be grand :smile:
Original post by FloLemon
Oxbridge don’t consider GCSEs as a good measure of intellectual and academic ability, they see A-Levels as a much better view of someone’s performance and ability.

That's reassuring - I'm committed to the idea of really excelling at A-Levels to prove myself as able. Thanks :smile:
Original post by IsMo987
resat my gcse exams due to extenuating circumstances as I wasn’t happy with them. Came out with majority of A’s and a stars do you think I should apply to oxbridge

Judging from what the other guys here have told me, I think it's about seven As and A*s to meet the requirements. And I expect the extenuating circumstances won't hold you back - I'm pretty sure you can make them apparent so that they are taken into consideration along with your results.
Original post by Caring Kid
It really did thank you very much also I know my comment is in shambles so sorry but I was in a really bad state didn't help that I was sick.
Thanks again it did help

you're most welcome my guy
That's reassuring - I'm committed to the idea of really excelling at A-Levels to prove myself as able. Thanks :smile:

No prob! I’m aiming for Oxbridge too and so I’ve read it in lots of books and guides for it haha! What a-levels have you taken?
ignore this
No prob! I’m aiming for Oxbridge too and so I’ve read it in lots of books and guides for it haha! What a-levels have you taken?

I'll see you at the interviews :wink:

And I'm taking philosophy, history (modern), and German - I'm also gonna do an epq. How about you?
I'll see you at the interviews :wink:

And I'm taking philosophy, history (modern), and German - I'm also gonna do an epq. How about you?

Rn- Maths, Biology, Physics and Further Maths! What degree are you thinking of? Btw you took two of the hardest a-levels, (German and History) good luck with that haha!!
Rn- Maths, Biology, Physics and Further Maths! What degree are you thinking of? Btw you took two of the hardest a-levels, (German and History) good luck with that haha!!

Yeah I know those two are going to leave me in absolute tatters lmao. I'm not too sure on which degree, but some of the philosophy courses at oxford look immense. One of my heroes - Christopher Hitchens - studied there and read philosophy, politics, and economics so there's that too :wink:
I think philosophy and theology or philosophy and german look the best to me at the moment... but I'm really not all too sure.
How about you?
(edited 4 years ago)
Oxford and Cambridge don't distinguish between 8s and 9s at GCSE; both are considered equivalent to an A* in the old format. Cambridge do not put much weight on GCSEs however, so any course there should be a reasonable prospect if you get appropriate predicted grades and do well in any pre-interview assessment.

Oxford does put more weight on GCSEs, so I would not recommend applying to the more competitive courses there (e.g. PPE, although since you don't have A-level Maths it's very unlikely you would be succesful applying to PPE anyway). For less competitive courses you may be able to ameliorate slightly below average GCSEs (by Oxford standards) by doing well in the pre-interview assessment (e.g. HAT, ELAT, TSA etc).
Original post by artful_lounger
Oxford and Cambridge don't distinguish between 8s and 9s at GCSE; both are considered equivalent to an A* in the old format. Cambridge do not put much weight on GCSEs however, so any course there should be a reasonable prospect if you get appropriate predicted grades and do well in any pre-interview assessment.

Oxford does put more weight on GCSEs, so I would not recommend applying to the more competitive courses there (e.g. PPE, although since you don't have A-level Maths it's very unlikely you would be succesful applying to PPE anyway). For less competitive courses you may be able to ameliorate slightly below average GCSEs (by Oxford standards) by doing well in the pre-interview assessment (e.g. HAT, ELAT, TSA etc).

Thanks for the advice - I was actually under the impression that Cambridge cared more about GCSEs but I checked and you're dead right, and I can't stand maths so PPE wasn't going to happen anyway lol.
Assuming that my english language does move past the grade boundary when I get it remarked, resulting in me having 6 A*s, 2 As, and a B, would I have what would be considered a decent set of GCSEs for Oxford?
Could you fill me in a little bit on those pre-interview assessments? And is there any way I can *check* which courses are more competitive? Thanks again :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks for the advice - I was actually under the impression that Cambridge cared more about GCSEs but I checked and you're dead right, and I can't stand maths so PPE wasn't going to happen anyway lol.
Assuming that my english language does move past the grade boundary when I get it remarked, resulting in me having 6 A*s, 2 As, and a B, would I have what would be considered a decent set of GCSEs for Oxford?
Could you fill me in a little bit on those pre-interview assessments? And is there any way I can *check* which courses are more competitive? Thanks again :smile:

I believe Oxford mainly look at number and proportion of A* grades at GCSE. Some courses will have a pre-interview assessment; they will have plenty of information on the specific assessments (with exemplar papers) on their admissions pages. Both universities publish admissions statistics on their websites, which are fairly easy to find and quite comprehensive. There are also innumerable freedom of information act requests for almost every course offered by either institution on whatdotheyknow.com to provide even more statistics and data to pore over if you so wish.

The more competitive courses are generally the more popular courses, and are fairly predicable; law, economics and related subjects, STEM subjects. There are some others which are more competitive on average than other courses at the universities though; the creative courses offered at each (fine art for Oxford and architecture for Cambridge) are considerably more competitive than most others, and philosophy at Cambridge is more competitive than most "arts" subjects there, as well as having a lower success rate than the overall average for the university.

That said, you should choose a course you are interested in the subject matter, not one you think you are more likely to get into. Generally I think you'd have a better chance at Cambridge, although bear in mind the minimum criteria at Cambridge are generally higher (A*AA for arts subjects except economics, A*A*A for STEM subjects except psychology) than at Oxford (AAA for arts subjects, A*AA for STEM subjects). These are however just minimum entry criteria, and the colleges can set higher offers than those. However if you're only predicted AAA for example, that rather limits you to the arts courses at Oxford.
I believe Oxford mainly look at number and proportion of A* grades at GCSE. Some courses will have a pre-interview assessment; they will have plenty of information on the specific assessments (with exemplar papers) on their admissions pages. Both universities publish admissions statistics on their websites, which are fairly easy to find and quite comprehensive. There are also innumerable freedom of information act requests for almost every course offered by either institution on whatdotheyknow.com to provide even more statistics and data to pore over if you so wish.

The more competitive courses are generally the more popular courses, and are fairly predicable; law, economics and related subjects, STEM subjects. There are some others which are more competitive on average than other courses at the universities though; the creative courses offered at each (fine art for Oxford and architecture for Cambridge) are considerably more competitive than most others, and philosophy at Cambridge is more competitive than most "arts" subjects there, as well as having a lower success rate than the overall average for the university.

That said, you should choose a course you are interested in the subject matter, not one you think you are more likely to get into. Generally I think you'd have a better chance at Cambridge, although bear in mind the minimum criteria at Cambridge are generally higher (A*AA for arts subjects except economics, A*A*A for STEM subjects except psychology) than at Oxford (AAA for arts subjects, A*AA for STEM subjects). These are however just minimum entry criteria, and the colleges can set higher offers than those. However if you're only predicted AAA for example, that rather limits you to the arts courses at Oxford.

If I was to be predicted A*A*A (and go for Oxford) would those grades be good enough to compensate for the GCSEs? Although obviously this is a total hypothetical - I haven't even had my first day of college yet - I'm really determined to work very hard for these grades. Thanks once more
(edited 4 years ago)
If I was to be predicted A*A*A (and go for Oxford) would those grades be good enough to compensate for the GCSEs? Although obviously this is a total hypothetical - I haven't even had my first day of college yet - I'm really determined to work very hard for these grades. Thanks once more

It might depend on the course, however I don't think they really consider predictions other than checking if they meet their standard entry criteria - since after all, your school could overpredict you in order to make you more competitive for Oxbridge. Certainly medicine at Oxford only uses GCSEs and BMAT score to determine whether to invite to interview (assumming the predictions met their requirements and the applicant was taking the right subjects). I suspect most other courses will use a similar combination of GCSE results and pre-interview assessment score to determine whether they invite.
Okie thanks! And also congrats for getting in!
It might depend on the course, however I don't think they really consider predictions other than checking if they meet their standard entry criteria - since after all, your school could overpredict you in order to make you more competitive for Oxbridge. Certainly medicine at Oxford only uses GCSEs and BMAT score to determine whether to invite to interview (assumming the predictions met their requirements and the applicant was taking the right subjects). I suspect most other courses will use a similar combination of GCSE results and pre-interview assessment score to determine whether they invite.

Well I guess I'll have to ace those assessments. Thanks so much you all you help mate :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest