The Student Room Group

Are my GCSEs adequate for Oxford?

I've received some encouragement on my other post about GCSE grades to maybe be looking at Oxbridge as a possibility. Out of the two, Oxford has courses that appeal more to me - philosophy/german or philosophy/theology - but I don't know if my GCSEs are quite strong enough, as I now know that Oxford cares more about GCSEs than Cambridge.
I got:
Combined science - 8,8
Literature - 8
German - 8
History - 8
Religious studies - 8
Music - 7
Maths - 6
English language - 8 (remarked from a 6)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Those are great results - congratulations.

You should apply for Oxford as those GCSE grades will be more than adequate. Plus, Oxford is more focussed on the entry exam and interview than your GCSEs.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by JacobReesMogg
Those are great results - congratulations.

You should apply for Oxford as those GCSE grades will be more than adequate. Plus, Oxford is more focussed on the entry exam and interview than your GCSEs.

Good luck!

Fantastic! Mind if I ask what the entry exam entails? Like is it more of an iq test kinda thing or would it be more course specific?
Original post by deutschbag
Fantastic! Mind if I ask what the entry exam entails? Like is it more of an iq test kinda thing or would it be more course specific?

No idea, I am yet to take mine - revising for it atm. I am looking to do econ at Cambridge.

For Oxford, if it is the TSA then it will be some mental maths and some written questions. Practice is all you can do.
For philosophy and theology combined you need to take the philosophy test at Oxford. Which last time I looked was analysing a source and writing an essay testing your reasoning all in about an hour. If you take philosophy with a language you will probably just do a language test, the MLAT and not the philosophy test.
Reply 5
Original post by JacobReesMogg
No idea, I am yet to take mine - revising for it atm. I am looking to do econ at Cambridge.

For Oxford, if it is the TSA then it will be some mental maths and some written questions. Practice is all you can do.

Right ok. Thanks for your help and good luck with your interview :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Hugh's Swan
For philosophy and theology combined you need to take the philosophy test at Oxford. Which last time I looked was analysing a source and writing an essay testing your reasoning all in about an hour. If you take philosophy with a language you will probably just do a language test, the MLAT and not the philosophy test.

Yeah that makes sense. I expect the Oxbridge team at my college will help me through all that as well.

Thanks!
Yeah that makes sense. I expect the Oxbridge team at my college will help me through all that as well.

Thanks!

Ask your school - have they already spoken to you? Potential Oxbridge students are usually approached ...
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Ask your school - have they already spoken to you? Potential Oxbridge students are usually approached ...

Yeah they enrolled me in their Oxbridge programme during my interview
Yeah they enrolled me in their Oxbridge programme during my interview

So why did you post this thread twice?
So why did you post this thread twice?

I figured that I'm more likely to receive specific advice about my eligibility for Oxford through posting on the Oxford forum? And my other post's tagline had no reference to Oxford specifically, which is what I now want to inquire about.
I figured that I'm more likely to receive specific advice about my eligibility for Oxford through posting on the Oxford forum? And my other post's tagline had no reference to Oxford specifically, which is what I now want to inquire about.

I doubt it - your teachers are likely to have much more experience than random people on TSR! Especially if they have a team who deal with Oxbridge students.
I doubt it - your teachers are likely to have much more experience than random people on TSR! Especially if they have a team who deal with Oxbridge students.

That's very true - I guess I'm just a bit impatient and smitten with the idea as nobody has ever seriously suggested Oxford to me lol
That's very true - I guess I'm just a bit impatient and smitten with the idea as nobody has ever seriously suggested Oxford to me lol

You said they mentioned it at your interview so they clearly had an eye on you before you sat your GCSEs.
Submit reply
You said they mentioned it at your interview so they clearly had an eye on you before you sat your GCSEs.
Submit reply

Well this was my enrollment interview that I say only a week or two ago. I was just apprehensive to take their word for it so I signed up to this place to see what more impartial people might think
Well this was my enrollment interview that I say only a week or two ago. I was just apprehensive to take their word for it so I signed up to this place to see what more impartial people might think

Well you won't get an impartial view on here! Look at the uni website for detail - there's a lot of dodgy information on here ...
Well you won't get an impartial view on here! Look at the uni website for detail - there's a lot of dodgy information on here ...

Ah fair point I suppose :wink:
Heads up Muttley is not a fan of Oxford people on Tsr but there is plenty of good advice to be got on here from present and past Oxford and Cambridge Students. Your GCSE's are fine so get researching about entrance exams on Uni website and do not be detered from posting on here. Also visit the subject page on the Oxford Uni website as it should have the relevant info. Also post any questions in the Oxford University forum.
One Tsr member has a thread entitled'Oxford Dymstified' which you can access by typing the title into the search bar at top of page. One of the chapters is applying for German which you might find especially helpful. I hope this helps. Best wishes
(edited 4 years ago)
I've received some encouragement on my other post about GCSE grades to maybe be looking at Oxbridge as a possibility. Out of the two, Oxford has courses that appeal more to me - philosophy/german or philosophy/theology - but I don't know if my GCSEs are quite strong enough, as I now know that Oxford cares more about GCSEs than Cambridge.
I got:
Combined science - 8,8
Literature - 8
German - 8
History - 8
Religious studies - 8
Music - 7
Maths - 6
English language - 6 (getting a remark)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

For Oxford, GCSEs are one way to show your academic commitment, all universities look at your GCSEs. However, Oxford also considers various aptitude tests and written work that you have submitted, as well as the interview, which is more than most other universities. Apply to the university that appeals more to you - no university looks solely at GCSEs. Good luck!
Original post by ChChOxford
For Oxford, GCSEs are one way to show your academic commitment, all universities look at your GCSEs. However, Oxford also considers various aptitude tests and written work that you have submitted, as well as the interview, which is more than most other universities. Apply to the university that appeals more to you - no university looks solely at GCSEs. Good luck!

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending