The Student Room Group

A-Level Psychology or English Lit?

I'm currently a Year 11, and i'll be choosing my A-Level Options really soon! I know I want to do History and Philosophy A-Level, however, i'm not sure whether to do A-Level Psychology or English Literature to complete my options? I've heard mixed opinions about both A-Levels, so i'm quite confused which one to pick?
If it helps, I want to do History at University :smile:
Original post by vanessaneilson
I'm currently a Year 11, and i'll be choosing my A-Level Options really soon! I know I want to do History and Philosophy A-Level, however, i'm not sure whether to do A-Level Psychology or English Literature to complete my options? I've heard mixed opinions about both A-Levels, so i'm quite confused which one to pick?

Pick whichever one you're more interested in / are likely to do well on. Either would be great! :rambo:

As an aside, you could consider doing A level Religious Studies instead of Philosophy. I always encourage this to students because it's much, much easier all the while being extremely interesting. Most of it really is common sense. It has a lot of philosophy in it as well (ethics and morality) and, in fact, it usually goes by the name of A level Religious Studies and Ethics.

I'd highly encourage RS just because of how poorly so many students do in Philosophy and how much easier RS is.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by vanessaneilson

I took English Lit, History and Psychology A Levels. I loved both :smile: do what you enjoy more as it doesn't really matter. I found that English and History fitted well together but it wasn't that important. Both Psychology and English Lit get you to understand yourself a lot more which I found really helpful. English is more of a skill that you refine over time, whereas Psychology is purely just memory. English you do more essays whereas Psychology have more science style papers (from 1 mark to 16 mark questions)- both require the same effort I would say (as would any A level). If you choose something you enjoy then you'll do better as you put more effort in :smile: As long as you have a history a level then uni's don't mind about your other subjects

Quick Reply

Latest