The Student Room Group

'Study finds 1 in 1,000 black men and boys can expect to die as a result of police vi

A new study finds that about 1 in 1,000 black men and boys can expect to die as a result of police violence over the course of their lives a risk that's about 2.5 times higher than their white peers.

During the study period, police use of force accounted for 1.6% of all deaths of black men between the ages of 20 and 24. However, police violence accounted for just 0.5% of deaths of white and Asian American men in that age range.

“We need to do a much better job on monitoring the interactions of our police officers as they’re going about their daily duties,” he said. “I think we would be foolish to believe that we have solved to any great extent the issue of racial profiling in this country regarding police.”

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2019-08-15/police-shootings-are-a-leading-cause-of-death-for-black-men

Scroll to see replies

That really stretching the definition of genocide, and frankly devalues the term.
Black men are about 7% of the population. The same 7% are responsible for 50% of all homicides.
They are disproportionately involved in all sorts of crime and consequently disproportionately come into contact with armed police. Do you think this may contribute to it?
Maybe if black men didn’t commit crime they wouldn’t be giving police a reason to come into contact with them in the first place
Am sure people have cottoned on to Angery Penguins MO, which is to post on a daily basis any news story he can twist that shows either the US. Europe or China's neighbours/ competitors (Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong democracy protesters) in a bad light. He has been doing this for months.

He will twist the headline, so in this case its all about the racist west, genocide and corruption, whereas its all sunshine and unicorns in China.

Lets see if Angery penguin wants to defend his claims...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49402222

Hong Kong protests: Twitter and Facebook remove Chinese accounts
Dave Lee North America technology reporter

20 August 2019
Twitter and Facebook have taken steps to block what they described as a state-backed Chinese misinformation campaign.

Twitter said it removed 936 accounts it said were being used to “sow political discord in Hong Kong”.
The network said the accounts originated in mainland China and were part of a coordinated attempt to undermine the “legitimacy and political positions of the protest movement”.
Facebook said it had, after being tipped off by Twitter, removed "seven Pages, three Groups and five Facebook accounts.”
"They frequently posted about local political news and issues including topics like the ongoing protests in Hong Kong,” said Nathaniel Gleicher, Facebook's head of cyber-security policy.
"Although the people behind this activity attempted to conceal their identities, our investigation found links to individuals associated with the Chinese government."
In addition to the 936 specific accounts, Twitter said as many as 200,000 other accounts, designed to amplify the misinformation, were “proactively” suspended before becoming "substantially active”.
"Based on our intensive investigations,” the firm said in a statement, “we have reliable evidence to support that this is a coordinated state-backed operation.
"Specifically, we identified large clusters of accounts behaving in a coordinated manner to amplify messages related to the Hong Kong protests.”
It added: "We will continue to be vigilant, learning from this network and proactively enforcing our policies to serve the public conversation.”
Based on the sheer volume of his posting, not just starting countless threads but also heavily posting long detailed (even if wrong ) replies throughout each thread on at least two forums makes me suspect he is either a team working together or a Chinese bot generator of some sort.
Its beyond a joke.
Certainly can't have a job as his posting alone is a full time occupation.🤔
thats 100% factually wrong, most black men in the US are killed by other black men. You are complete fake news.
Added to the disproportionate number of black men that through their criminal activity come into contact with the police, another stat I read a while back, but unfortunately can't find again, was the disproportionate number of black young men that violently resist when police try to arrest them.
I stand to be corrected but I think it was something like 3x as likely to resist as the next demographic (Hispanic)
Grappling with a cop with a gun on his hip is never going to end well.
Your comment suggests that only black men commit crimes :confused:
I wonder if the author of the article will be so smug if this inflammatory, race-braity, clickbaity article were to cause a riot which resulted in the death of officers and rioters alike.

The stats: for black males of the ages 20-24, 1.6% of the deaths are from police encounters; it's 1.2% for Hispanic males and 0.5% for white males.

To my mind, it is not the least bit surprising that more deaths for people who are youthful and healthy come from accidents and shootings than cardiovascular disease or obesity. The leading cause of death for an age group who are not ordinarily affected by death.

It should be noted that the article also reports that deaths involving officers but attributable to suicide or vehicular accident are also more than twice as high as white people. Seemingly, deaths involving police are twice as high for black males where police racial bias cannot be the cause of death -- because people were not the cause of the death.
(edited 4 years ago)
This replies to this post makes me lose faith in humanity
Original post by SlightlySummer
Your comment suggests that only black men commit crimes :confused:

My comment suggests that people who don’t commit crime don’t give police a reason to come into contact with them.
I'm guessing you've never used Twitter long enough to see the thousands of times black people in the US or UK be interrogated when they are doing simple things such as on their own front garden
Correct. He neglected to say it s the 6th leading cause of death of young black men
behind......
1 Accident
2 Suicide
3 Homicide ( as you said mostly other blacks)
4 Heart disease
5 Cancer
6 Use of police force.

So even heart disease and cancer are more likely to kill a young black man than the police.
Original post by Prussianxo
I'm guessing you've never used Twitter long enough to see the thousands of times black people in the US or UK be interrogated when they are doing simple things such as on their own front garden

Why would I rely on social media when I could rely on something far more reliable, such as crime statistics?
The authors of the study in this case actually used media reports instead of official statistics to arrive at the number they did.
Yikes

Show me the crime statistics that show that arrests and police killings for black men for their involvement in violent crime is directly proportional to crimes committed then.
Bunch of white people talking about the nonsense of police brutality. Imagine being black and seeing this
Original post by Prussianxo
Bunch of white people talking about the nonsense of police brutality. Imagine being black and seeing this

Yeah, the black people of TSR know what it is like being shot by police in Baltimore after a spate of gang violence. It was my impression they were relatively privileged kids living in the heart of the capital.
I started to but then I saw it was a yikes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending