The Student Room Group

'Study finds 1 in 1,000 black men and boys can expect to die as a result of police vi

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notoriety
Yeah, the black people of TSR know what it is like being shot by police in Baltimore after a spate of gang violence. It was my impression they were relatively privileged kids living in the heart of the capital.

What are you on about. I was talking about innocent black people who have never committed a crime who are worried about being discriminated against or shot by police because they've grown in around that. And then being told it's ridiculous
You're right. Makes me a lot less mad at humanity
Original post by Prussianxo
Yikes

Show me the crime statistics that show that arrests and police killings for black men for their involvement in violent crime is directly proportional to crimes committed then.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf

Black offenders committed 52% of all homicides despite making up only 12.6% of the population. This is in the USA, for reference
Reply 23
Original post by AngeryPenguin
A new study finds that about 1 in 1,000 black men and boys can expect to die as a result of police violence over the course of their lives a risk that's about 2.5 times higher than their white peers.

During the study period, police use of force accounted for 1.6% of all deaths of black men between the ages of 20 and 24. However, police violence accounted for just 0.5% of deaths of white and Asian American men in that age range.

“We need to do a much better job on monitoring the interactions of our police officers as they’re going about their daily duties,” he said. “I think we would be foolish to believe that we have solved to any great extent the issue of racial profiling in this country regarding police.”

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2019-08-15/police-shootings-are-a-leading-cause-of-death-for-black-men

Does that study take into account how many of those had weapons in their hands and the police were well within their rights to shoot them. The moral is if you don't want to get shot don't go tooled up!

By the way your heading is a fabrication - this is not the leading cause of death for blacks. Lies for the sake of a headline. Maybe you should go work for CNN!
That's quite old and doesn't show arrests and killings for blacks compared to whites
According to the stats, for some reason, this group of society commits more crimes. Therefore, obviously they are more likely to be shot by the police.
"enriching" I loled at that.
I'm done with this thread so you lot carry on
That's quite old and doesn't show arrests and killings for blacks compared to whites

It’s a simple fact of life that in America a police officer is more likely to shoot you if you’re dangerous or perceived to be more dangerous. If black people are committing homicide disproportionately to their representation in population it’s difficult to argue to law enforcement that black people are not likely to be more dangerous than white people.

Yes, the data is old, but unless you can find any more recent statistics counteracting this or any proof black people get arrested more other than relying on potentially fabricated twitter stories it’s the most trustworthy thing we have
It's sad how even though I've said I'm finished with this thread you continue to insult me when I have said nothing to insult you. I also didn't realize I was required to read everything in a thread maybe I didn't read the T's and C's thoroughly enough
But you said you rely on crime statistics. I actually don't care I just wanted to see if you'd do it.

Also I dunno how police bodycam footage can be fabricated but seems pretty legit to me
But you said you rely on crime statistics. I actually don't care I just wanted to see if you'd do it.

Also I dunno how police bodycam footage can be fabricated but seems pretty legit to me

Indeed, and I have provided the statistics on crime for the benefit of yourself to read :smile:

A body cam doesn’t really prove much other than one particular officer on one particular day decided to do something you found objectionable.
After some effort, I have managed to find the relevant stats for causes of death for the 20-24 age group for black males. The LA Times, lazy blighters, used the 25-29 age group from 2015 when the CDC actually give 20-24 specifically from 2017.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr68/nvsr68_06-508.pdf (page 34); and prussian thinks my contributions are not enriching. What I do for you kids!

It says that out of every 100,000 black males 20-24, there are 100.3 deaths by assault (meaning homicide),* 51.3 deaths via accidents, 21.6 deaths via suicide, 7.6 deaths via heart disease, 4.6 from cancer, 2 deaths from HIV and 2 from chronic respiratory diseases, 1.6 deaths from diabetes.

It also says there are 1.3 deaths from "legal intervention", which means the police and their truncheons although the academic paper at issue was contending the official number of deaths was lower than the actual number. Instead, it suggests the actual number is around 3.3 (or 3.4, according to LA Times).

There are 1,600,000 black male Americans between 20-24. The official stats would say there are 21 deaths in that group per year; these new stats would say there are 53.

*In contrast, there are only 5.1 deaths per 100,000 white males 20-24 for assault (meaning homicide). That means that black "boys" are almost twenty times more likely to be killed by assault than their white compatriots. I suggest to OP and others that this is the genocide facing young black males in the US, not police brutality or racism.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Notoriety
I wonder if the author of the article will be so smug if this inflammatory, race-braity, clickbaity article were to cause a riot which resulted in the death of officers and rioters alike.

That is actually the most important point all this racial agitating industry raises, we blind ourselves by underestimating the consequences. We talk about these 'reports' as if they were something fortuitous or of poor technical quality but they are complete fabrications where whatever methodology can be adopted to make the case intended. Americans have gone nuts with it, they just had to commercialize the whole thing.
Police brutality problems aside looking at the bare statistics 1 in 1000 of a certain population being killed is hardly genocide and makes a mockery of actual genocides such as the Holocaust and Armenian
Bunch of white people talking about the nonsense of police brutality. Imagine being black and seeing this

I mean I'm half black and this white guilt **** you are on about makes me cringe.
Reply 35
Original post by CoolCavy
Police brutality problems aside looking at the bare statistics 1 in 1000 of a certain population being killed is hardly genocide and makes a mockery of actual genocides such as the Holocaust and Armenian

It seems to be the way things are done today, use highly emotive language as a cudgel which simply demeans the actual instances of these things. Same goes for calling people racists, anti-semites etc.
Reply 36
Seems potentially relevant to the discussion
Original post by Napp
It seems to be the way things are done today, use highly emotive language as a cudgel which simply demeans the actual instances of these things. Same goes for calling people racists, anti-semites etc.

Absolutely agree, same with how 'nazi' etc is thrown around

prsom
Original post by CoolCavy
Absolutely agree, same with how 'nazi' etc is thrown around

Only a nazi would say that! You nazi!
Please not another one of these threads. They never end well.

Quick Reply