The Student Room Group

Is 23 too old to graduate

I got really depressed I didn't really do well back in secondary school and I ended up going to college doing a course for 2 years which I already don't think I am going to achieve in life. I feel like a degree is my only way to achieve something in life. I start off by doing GCSES for a year then fast track A Levels, after that I would go to uni right away.

Scroll to see replies

No. People are too obsessed with age, life isn’t a race lol.
Wouldn't even be very unusual at all.
No it isn’t. i’ll be graduating at 23 too. As Aarya said, life isn’t a competition. Success is success, no matter how long it took you to get there.
I didn't even start university until I was 24! I'll be graduating at 28.

Age doesn't matter when it comes to studying. People of all ages go to uni.
Original post by Anonymous
I got really depressed I didn't really do well back in secondary school and I ended up going to college doing a course for 2 years which I already don't think I am going to achieve in life. I feel like a degree is my only way to achieve something in life. I start off by doing GCSES for a year then fast track A Levels, after that I would go to uni right away.

I’ll be graduating aged 20 so I guess it’s another 3 years on top🤷🏻*♂️

Definitely not! We have students of all ages coming to the university, you'd be surprised how many don't fit in the typical 'fresh out of college' box. Everyones journey is different :smile:
I’ll be graduating at 23 also and honestly there are people on my course who were 24 in first year. It literally doesn’t matter. I generally think 23 is quite a young age to graduate.
Reply 8

Absolutely not. Nothing like that matters as long as you're doing what's right for you. People graduate in their 50s even!
It's totally fine to do something a bit different to the norm. This is your life so all that matters is doing things your way. Have a think about what you want to do later in life and how you would need to get there. It might be that you don't even need to go to uni (people seem to think it's something you have to do, but you can be successful other ways and for some paths its not at all necessary).

If you're not too sure what's right for you have a chat with somebody like careers guidance at your school. They can help you have a think about it.
Reply 9
I'm 23 and just graduated. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

lol no it's pretty average. Just 1 or 2 years on top of the earliest possible age. Many people graduate older than that. As someone else said, life isn't a race

Your not that old mate, medicine students however are well old.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Your not that old mate, medicine students however are well old.

medicine students are often 23 lol
medicine students are often 23 lol

You sure yh? I swear they got like 4 years of medical scool after their BSc then they gotta do a MSc (another 3-4 years), some even gotta do a Phd (a further 3-4 years).

They atleast close to their 30s.
Nope. I'll be graduating next year at 28. Plenty of people my own age (and older) on my course.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
You sure yh? I swear they got like 4 years of medical scool after their BSc then they gotta do a MSc (another 3-4 years), some even gotta do a Phd (a further 3-4 years).

They atleast close to their 30s.

I'm at medical school mate. Medicine (unless it's GEM) is 5 years, 6 is you choose to intercalate. So people who started at age 18 will often be 23. You don't have to do a masters or Phd at all unless you want to. You are a doctor after 5 years.
Original post by Stefanidi
I’ll be graduating aged 20 so I guess it’s another 3 years on top🤷🏻*♂️

People like you bother me. Their age doesn’t matter at all! And the “it’s another 3 years on top” is unnecessary. Good that you’re graduating at 20, you must’ve been young when you went to uni or did a course that isn’t 3/4 years long which most courses are in the UK. All the best to the OP and don’t worry about age, uni has all kinds of people from all backgrounds and age groups. You doing a degree will most likely give you a better job prospect and if it takes you until 23 to get there then so be it. :smile:
I'm at medical school mate. Medicine (unless it's GEM) is 5 years, 6 is you choose to intercalate. So people who started at age 18 will often be 23. You don't have to do a masters or Phd at all unless you want to. You are a doctor after 5 years.

Rah, I always thought they was mandatory. Thx for letting me know lol.
Original post by Random_Student
People like you bother me. Their age doesn’t matter at all! And the “it’s another 3 years on top” is unnecessary. Good that you’re graduating at 20, you must’ve been young when you went to uni or did a course that isn’t 3/4 years long which most courses are in the UK. All the best to the OP and don’t worry about age, uni has all kinds of people from all backgrounds and age groups. You doing a degree will most likely give you a better job prospect and if it takes you until 23 to get there then so be it. :smile:

My birthday is in August, so I turn 21 after I graduate
Reply 19

yes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest