The Student Room Group

Clapping along to live performances... Please stop

Does it ever bug you when you're watching a performance or listening to something beautiful (e.g. dancing, figure skating, opera) and the audience think it's a brilliant idea to clap along? It really grinds my gears. I'm a figure skater and I have a horrible feeling the fast part of my new 'Zigeunerweisen' programme will have the audience clapping along. I'd say that part is probably as fast as the Can Can, and as lively. I feel like with beautiful music, like Classical, it would be totally unnecessary for anyone to clap along, reason being the conductor and the musicians need to interact and listen to each other attentively. In some cases, it takes away from the beauty that the piece brings. Would you clap along to Scheherazade, Swan Lake, Marriage of Figaro, Toccata and Fugue etc.?
Some argue that the audience is there to have fun. Well, yes, they can have fun. They can listen to the music with their ears and become dissolved into the enchantment that the music brings. However, they're there for the music and a great show - they are not the show, nor are they the music, the act is. It sounds quite killjoy of me to want to stop the audience from having their version of fun, but when it disrespects the nature of the show, their fun needs to end.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JosephCiderBwoy
Does it ever bug you when you're watching a performance or listening to something beautiful (e.g. dancing, figure skating, opera) and the audience think it's a brilliant idea to clap along? It really grinds my gears. I'm a figure skater and I have a horrible feeling the fast part of my new 'Zigeunerweisen' programme will have the audience clapping along. I'd say that part is probably as fast as the Can Can, and as lively. I feel like with beautiful music, like Classical, it would be totally unnecessary for anyone to clap along, reason being the conductor and the musicians need to interact and listen to each other attentively. In some cases, it takes away from the beauty that the piece brings. Would you clap along to Scheherazade, Swan Lake, Marriage of Figaro, Toccata and Fugue etc.?
Some argue that the audience is there to have fun. Well, yes, they can have fun. They can listen to the music with their ears and become dissolved into the enchantment that the music brings. However, they're there for the music and a great show - they are not the show, nor are they the music, the act is. It sounds quite killjoy of me to want to stop the audience from having their version of fun, but when it disrespects the nature of the show, their fun needs to end.

Yes. Annoying and they do it regardless of the musical time is of the music that is being played.
Reply 2
Agreed, I'd blame it more on the people who start the clapping tho. Why do they feel the need to drown out the music/noise and be inconsiderate to those who may be just wanting to watch the event?
I agree with you both, I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this frustration lol.
Reply 4
Original post by JosephCiderBwoy
I agree with you both, I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this frustration lol.

And during events which are broadcast on TV.. urgh.

There are people who can't afford or cannot attend the events and just want to watch it peacefully at home but then the audience starts clapping and YOU CAN'T HEAR A THING, or end up distracting the cameras and end up with them broadcasting the audience clapping rather than the actual event.............
Original post by Ikeo

There are people who can't afford or cannot attend the events and just want to watch it peacefully at home but then the audience starts clapping and YOU CAN'T HEAR A THING, or end up distracting the cameras and end up with them broadcasting the audience clapping rather than the actual event.............

Clap clap 👏🏼 👏🏼 🤢😵🥴
Reply 6
It's the sole reason I don't like watching live performances. I cannot stand it when people think that their dull. rhythmic thudding is in any way appropriate at something which isn't a rock/heavy metal concert.
Reply 7
Original post by Ikeo
Alright mate, ever heard of the Yorkshire ripper? Freddy Krueger? Death?

Well I'm all of them so I advise you not to continue else I will be coming for you..

What a foolish comment!
Original post by Ikeo
Alright mate, ever heard of the Yorkshire ripper? Freddy Krueger? Death?

Well I'm all of them so I advise you not to continue else I will be coming for you..

Nooooo pleassseeeeee
Reply 9
Original post by mgi
What a foolish comment!

I concur
Original post by Ikeo
I concur

🤡☝️😵😫😌🤤
with the examples youve given, i agree. not only is it annoying its sensory hell. it frustrates me if i cant focus on the music.
Reply 12
Original post by Tenya Iida
with the examples youve given, i agree. not only is it annoying its sensory hell. it frustrates me if i cant focus on the music.

Yes, i have never understood why people do this.It does not even fit in with the timing of most songs.
Reply 13
Original post by Stefanidi
Oh noooooo your comment was removedddd???? 🤷🏻*♂️🤮😌😞

Oh no has it been? I wonder why :colonhash:
Reply 14
Exhaustive list of live classical music it's ok to clap to:

1. Radetzky March
Original post by Ikeo
Oh no has it been? I wonder why :colonhash:

How sadddd 😔
Original post by Ikeo

There's that YouTube video of everyone clapping along to a live performance of the Can Can. And exactly like you said, the audience was the centre of the camera's attention rather than the magnificent orchestra. Shame :frown:
Original post by VannR
It's the sole reason I don't like watching live performances. I cannot stand it when people think that their dull. rhythmic thudding is in any way appropriate at something which isn't a rock/heavy metal concert.

It's almost like they want the attention on them :'D
This is why odd time signatures need to be more commonplace, this could be easily avoided
Original post by Tenya Iida

It just amuses me because clapping, and even clapping in time, are basic phenomena for musicians, but seem so innovative and amazing for the audience. Why? Like ughhh

Quick Reply

Latest