The Student Room Group

Failed one module

Hey guys I really need some sound advice!

I was 6 marks off the pass mark for one module in my first term. I’ve finished first year with an average of 63. I have two questions:

Will the fail mark affect my chances of getting into a masters programme? (Because they look at transcripts).

Do I have a chance of pushing that mean grade to a first class mark (we need a 70% overall)
Original post by rsa2323
Hey guys I really need some sound advice!

I was 6 marks off the pass mark for one module in my first term. I’ve finished first year with an average of 63. I have two questions:

Will the fail mark affect my chances of getting into a masters programme? (Because they look at transcripts).

Do I have a chance of pushing that mean grade to a first class mark (we need a 70% overall)

Impossible to tell with complete confidence without knowing how your university calculates a final degree grade, but given that 63 is a mid range 2:1 and degrees tend to be weighted towards the later years, yes, its very likely that you can get a 1st if you improve overall.

For MSc entry, yes, universities will look at your entire transcript, but one or two poor marks in year 1 wont really count against you unless (1) its a very competitive masters and (2) your grades ramp up in later years and you dont add any more fails to the mix.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending