The Student Room Group

Single Parent, Universal credit and Student finance

Hi,
Im a single mum of two children one under the age of five. I start university next month and I am being pushed from pillar to post by UC and SF as to whether i would get the child element of UC. On the old system I would be entitled to child tax credits however UC took over tax credits. Can any other parents give me any information please as no one seems to know.
Hi :smile:

As you're a single parent are you getting the special support element of the loan? Are you working at all?
Reply 2
I have no answers, but the same question. I have two primary school children, about to start a post-grad masters next month, and getting conflicting reports. I am waiting for the award from student finance, to see how it is broken down, but no one I have spoken to at UC seems to know what counts, It is impossible to plan ahead.
Original post by Pipiin
I have no answers, but the same question. I have two primary school children, about to start a post-grad masters next month, and getting conflicting reports. I am waiting for the award from student finance, to see how it is broken down, but no one I have spoken to at UC seems to know what counts, It is impossible to plan ahead.

Only 30% of of a post graduate maintenance loan is considered for UC.
Reply 4
Original post by louisag92
Only 30% of of a post graduate maintenance loan is considered for UC.

Thanks, that is good to know. What about the grant part of student finance? Is all of that counted?
Reply 5
Hi :smile:

As you're a single parent are you getting the special support element of the loan? Are you working at all?

Hi im not working and i was unaware that there was a special support element. As no one told me about it. I informed student finance that i am a single parent of two children aged 2 and 7. Im still waiting to hear back from student finance.
Reply 6
Hi Alixtasha
I think how your student finance is made up is explained on the award sheet, so you will know more when you get that.
I am also struggling with lack of info but believe the DWP will sort out the UC when you have your award. It is hard to work out what is what and there seems to be a lot of uncertainty and errors amongst staff.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Pipiin
Thanks, that is good to know. What about the grant part of student finance? Is all of that counted?

Any idea what the grant is called?
Original post by Alixtasha
Hi im not working and i was unaware that there was a special support element. As no one told me about it. I informed student finance that i am a single parent of two children aged 2 and 7. Im still waiting to hear back from student finance.

Have you had your breakdown yet.

As a single parent claiming UC you would be eligible for the extra maintenance loan (SSE). Assuming you're studying outside of London and in England then you will be eligible for £10194 loan (£3783 of which is SSE) plus £1716 PLA and the childcare grant. The SSE, PLA and CCG are all disregarded for UC.
Reply 9
Any idea what the grant is called?

hi Louisa
I can't find out what it is called. The applcation form says this:
Complete this section to tell us how much Postgraduate Master’s Finance you want to apply for. The
maximum support available is £17,000. Your finance will be made up of loan and grant.
You can apply for a maximum loan of £16,000.
The minimum grant you’ll receive is £1,000 which is not based on household income.
You can apply to have your funding based on your household income. Depending on your household
income, the maximum grant you may be entitled to is up to £6,885.
Your total funding can’t exceed £17,000. If your funding is based on household income and exceeds
£17,000, we’ll replace some of your loan with grant.

The only other information I can find is on the Careers Wales website (I am in Wales)
From 2019, postgraduates will receive a similar package of support to undergraduates. The support will be made up of a mixture of grants and loans as a contribution to costs, rather than allocated specifically to fees and maintenance.
Original post by Pipiin
hi Louisa
I can't find out what it is called. The applcation form says this:
Complete this section to tell us how much Postgraduate Master’s Finance you want to apply for. The
maximum support available is £17,000. Your finance will be made up of loan and grant.
You can apply for a maximum loan of £16,000.
The minimum grant you’ll receive is £1,000 which is not based on household income.
You can apply to have your funding based on your household income. Depending on your household
income, the maximum grant you may be entitled to is up to £6,885.
Your total funding can’t exceed £17,000. If your funding is based on household income and exceeds
£17,000, we’ll replace some of your loan with grant.

The only other information I can find is on the Careers Wales website (I am in Wales)
From 2019, postgraduates will receive a similar package of support to undergraduates. The support will be made up of a mixture of grants and loans as a contribution to costs, rather than allocated specifically to fees and maintenance.

Okay, so 30% of your loan will be considered for UC purposes over 12 months. I think it's 12 months. I'll check.
Reply 11
Thanks. I should get the maximum grant but worried they will count all of it for UC.
Reply 12
Hello please assist me. I don't understand any of the above terms you listed for entitlement. I am a single mum to a 2 year old (3 when i start)and wanting to go and do postgraduate so I can change into a better career. I am scared as to what this would mean financially. What am am I entitled to?

Latest

Trending

Trending