The Student Room Group

Prime/ Coppergate Not Opening? Now What?

I've received a message from Prime about Coppergate saying it's not going to be ready and I don't know what to do.
Hi, sorry to hear this! If you're concerned about where you're going to live next year we still have all-inclusive ensuite rooms available at Student Roost's St Davids: https://www.studentroost.co.uk/accommodation/swansea/st-davids

You don't need any deposit and there's no rent to pay until October, plus we're giving away £150 amazon vouchers for bookings + a free bedding pack.

We've got social spaces, gyms and a study room.

We're happy to answer any questions that you have.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
I'm also going to be living there, and while I know it's stressful to be in temporary accommodation, I am going to stick with Prime. Mostly due to the sign up bonuses and because I've paid my deposit, my 14 day back-out time is up, but also because I really think that once it's done it'll be a decent space to live, I expect there is a month left (at least) in the building of Coppergate looking at the pictures I've seen online in this Article.
All of the residents are in the same boat. Hopefully it's all gonna work out!
Original post by Linkara
I'm also going to be living there, and while I know it's stressful to be in temporary accommodation, I am going to stick with Prime. Mostly due to the sign up bonuses and because I've paid my deposit, my 14 day back-out time is up, but also because I really think that once it's done it'll be a decent space to live, I expect there is a month left (at least) in the building of Coppergate looking at the pictures I've seen online in this Article.

Hi Linkara, it does sound like it will be a great space once complete, just consider about how long the delay might be and the stress of moving again. If you aren’t happy with the alternative accommodation suggested, you can challenge this and if you still aren’t happy you can bring it up with ANUK who are there to support and protect you.
And you know where we are if you do want accommodation that is available immediately.
Reply 4
Original post by Student Roost
Hi Linkara, it does sound like it will be a great space once complete, just consider about how long the delay might be and the stress of moving again. If you aren’t happy with the alternative accommodation suggested, you can challenge this and if you still aren’t happy you can bring it up with ANUK who are there to support and protect you.
And you know where we are if you do want accommodation that is available immediately.

If you can match the cash and the year free bus pass around Swansea City sign-up bonus they offered, then I'll hop right over! It's not something I can easily pass up as I will be relying on both!

Also I appreciate the advise about ANUK, I have contacted them to see what my options are about the deposit being withheld, thank you!
Quite simply the firm behind Coppergate have broken their contract and have to give you your money back there is no 14 day you have to give them in these circumstances.

The firm behind this must have known for months this wasn't going to get completed on time. It was obvious to those of us living in Swansea that was likely to be the case. I spoke to a construction worker on the site back the beginning on July and he told me then there was no prospect of this being completed on time. Personally I think it will take 2 months to be fully completed. The company involved should have been advising you and others of the actual situation. Instead they chose to say nothing until last week in an effort to keep their clients.
There are other options you could take if you so wish.
Student roost still have some rooms and I gather Swansea University have rooms on the student village and I believe offer free buses. Oldway might still have rooms available and you could also look at GLC properties and Student Digz and Swansea4Students. Have a look at the other thread I prepared on the Swansea University forum.

Some of the options may be more downmarket but they will at least be available now. This company simply doesnt deserve clients. They have let prospective students down badly and I feel very sorry or others. Student Roost and Oldway I believe will be offering Gyms on site. There is also a really nice cheap gym in town called the Gym which is far bigger and better than the YMCA you are being offered.
Original post by Linkara
If you can match the cash and the year free bus pass around Swansea City sign-up bonus they offered, then I'll hop right over! It's not something I can easily pass up as I will be relying on both!

Also I appreciate the advise about ANUK, I have contacted them to see what my options are about the deposit being withheld, thank you!

Give us a call +44 1792 341640 and we’ll see what we can do - we’ve just heard Prime are releasing people from their contracts if you reject their option which I’d hope would be the deposit too.
Original post by Linkara

I actually cancelled my tenancy with Coppergate today and have secured a room with Student Roost, my 14 day cancellation period passed months ago and I have actually received a full refund including my deposit, I have also not been asked for my £250 cash bonus back if that makes a difference? the temporary accommodation they want us to move into is also a building site right now as they have only just renovated that building too. The Swansea Student Roost building is also honestly amazing.
Original post by beccajsteele
I actually cancelled my tenancy with Coppergate today and have secured a room with Student Roost, my 14 day cancellation period passed months ago and I have actually received a full refund including my deposit, I have also not been asked for my £250 cash bonus back if that makes a difference? the temporary accommodation they want us to move into is also a building site right now as they have only just renovated that building too. The Swansea Student Roost building is also honestly amazing.

Thank you for the lovely feedback :-) So glad we were able to help, we just want to take the stress and worry away from all the affected students at such a difficult time.
Reply 9
Annoyingly, I have already paid rent (as it was due on the 2nd) to Prime for the first 3 weeks. I will contact them today about what can and can't be refunded to try and gather more information. Hopefully they will let me just walk away and give me the rent back. It will be a lot less stress to only have to move once!

Thanks all for the information. I'll be in contact with Student Roost tomorrow most likely.

Cheers :smile:
Original post by Linkara
Annoyingly, I have already paid rent (as it was due on the 2nd) to Prime for the first 3 weeks. I will contact them today about what can and can't be refunded to try and gather more information. Hopefully they will let me just walk away and give me the rent back. It will be a lot less stress to only have to move once!

Thanks all for the information. I'll be in contact with Student Roost tomorrow most likely.

Cheers :smile:

They've let others out of their tenancy, we had two just book this morning to other students in the same position as you - as you say it will be so much less stressful to just move once (and you can stay with us for your whole university stay too). Let us know if you need any further advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending