The Student Room Group

FAILED GCSE's , Options? Private Candidate?

Hello; so I did well in eng Lang and eng lit, I achieved a 5 which is okay, and a 4 in maths, I achieved 3’s in other subjects. (A remark would not solve my issue) I am now in dire need to resit my GCSEs, this is a very embarrassing topic.

I went to a college to resit GCSEs and I was told I didn’t have the requirements? Which is odd since I didn’t know you needed entry requirements for a GCSE resit. Furthermore due to my medical issue (which I have obtained a doctors note for) My attendance is is quite low so that’s a key factor.

Regardless my question right now is am I able to apply as a private candidate to edexcel or an exam board? I’m not entirely sure what a private candidate is, however I’d just like to apply to do 2-4 GCSEs resit this summer and instead of going to a school/college (since it’s proving difficult) I simply buy the books need and focus very hard on my studies. If that is an option I’d happily take that and I’m confident I’ll be able to achieve a higher mark.

Please give me your suggestions and let me know if what I’m saying exists and is possible. I know some companies do this but they cost thousands, and I’d hate to put my family through that..

Thank you
Original post by AllThings_
Hello; so I did well in eng Lang and eng lit, I achieved a 5 which is okay, and a 4 in maths, I achieved 3’s in other subjects. (A remark would not solve my issue) I am now in dire need to resit my GCSEs, this is a very embarrassing topic.

I went to a college to resit GCSEs and I was told I didn’t have the requirements? Which is odd since I didn’t know you needed entry requirements for a GCSE resit. Furthermore due to my medical issue (which I have obtained a doctors note for) My attendance is is quite low so that’s a key factor.

Regardless my question right now is am I able to apply as a private candidate to edexcel or an exam board? I’m not entirely sure what a private candidate is, however I’d just like to apply to do 2-4 GCSEs resit this summer and instead of going to a school/college (since it’s proving difficult) I simply buy the books need and focus very hard on my studies. If that is an option I’d happily take that and I’m confident I’ll be able to achieve a higher mark.

Please give me your suggestions and let me know if what I’m saying exists and is possible. I know some companies do this but they cost thousands, and I’d hate to put my family through that..

Thank you

Yes its pretty straightforward. If the school wont let you then become home schooled and a private candidate.
Just revise for the GCSE and sit them as a private candidate which either means your school if they will let you or at a private test centre.

You pay the private centre an exam fee c £50 for the exam board and about £100-150 to the test centre for doing the admin and letting you sit the exam on their premises. That is per subject.

Just use your notes plus any revision books or even a tutor for revision.

Apply as normal for sixth form and see if you can get a place. Maybe even at your old school. If you had medical reasons they are satisfied with then they may take you back for year 12.

Example.
https://www.aqa.org.uk/student-and-parent-support/private-candidates

You can also resit Maths and English only in November if needs be.

Quick Reply

Latest