The Student Room Group

gcses for Russell group unis

I have 2 8 1 7 3 6 1 5 at gcse. Is that enough for Russell group unis for economics

Scroll to see replies

Sorry to be blunt, but probably not. They would be looking for all-rounders, not just specifically focusing on the degree you want to take..
Original post by Rolo1234
I have 2 8 1 7 3 6 1 5 at gcse. Is that enough for Russell group unis for economics

I think most unis look at a levels mostly so provided you have good a level grades they might accept you. :smile: to do economics at Leeds Uni you need a 7 in maths and a 6 in English and AAA for a level ( I think) so if you have that you should be fine. https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/f836/economics-bsc
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by ViktoriyaPetrov
I think most unis look at a levels mostly so provided you have good a level grades they might accept you. :smile: to do economics at Leeds Uni you need a 7 in maths and a 6 in English and AAA for a level ( I think) so if you have that you should be fine. https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/f836/economics-bsc

yh i think thats what they mostly look at,.. i mean they look at ur gcses but not as much.. so youve got 2 years to pump up your grades!! good luck!!
Reply 4
Original post by ViktoriyaPetrov

would i be a strong applicant? thx
(edited 4 years ago)
would i be a strong applicant? thx

I think as long as you do really well in your a levels they would definitely consider you. :smile: its only if the course is oversubscribed then you might be at a disadvantage compared to someone who got better GCSE results. However, im sure if you do really well in your a levels and have the minimum requirement at GCSE e.g. maths and English, then you'll be fine :smile:

Those grades will be fine for most universities. The key grade will be your Maths grade. Most will want at least grade 6 in that.
Not a lot of universities fuss with GCSEs beyond minimum requirements of which you'd satisfy the vast majority unless possibly if the 5 was in english or maths.
Original post by kpatel18
Sorry to be blunt, but probably not. They would be looking for all-rounders, not just specifically focusing on the degree you want to take..

That's generally not true for universities in this country.
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
Not a lot of universities fuss with GCSEs beyond minimum requirements of which you'd satisfy the vast majority unless possibly if the 5 was in english or maths.

Thank you for the help!
Can I also suggest you consider non-Russell Group. Parents and grandparents aren't necessarily up to speed on things like that. For example, I know people who chose Bath over places nearby like Bristol for economics even though Bath isn't RG. (not a criticism of Bristol....just that I know people who preferred Bath)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by _gcx

I mean for some of the Russell group unis they would want the best... its like the Ivy League ones just in uk... trust me I would know, my cousin has friends that got amazing a levels but got really low grades in their GCSEs (even the ones that weren't relevant) and weren't accepted because of that..
Reply 11
I mean for some of the Russell group unis they would want the best... its like the Ivy League ones just in uk... trust me I would know, my cousin has friends that got amazing a levels but got really low grades in their GCSEs (even the ones that weren't relevant) and weren't accepted because of that..

what would I have needed to get then?

I agree. I think it largely comes down to the inaccuracy of 'predicted grades' and Uni's knowing how inaccurate (mostly to the upside) that they are.
Unfortunately this is rubbish. Most RG universities are no better than many non RG universities. A few at the very top end might look at GCSE's but most want 5 GCSE's including Maths and English Language usually at grade 5 or C but sometimes higher. Bath for example ask grade A in Maths foe Psychology while most RG universities dont. OP will be fine with those results but if planning a science based subject may need grade 6 or B in MATHS
Reply 14
Original post by swanseajack1
Unfortunately this is rubbish. Most RG universities are no better than many non RG universities. A few at the very top end might look at GCSE's but most want 5 GCSE's including Maths and English Language usually at grade 5 or C but sometimes higher. Bath for example ask grade A in Maths foe Psychology while most RG universities dont. OP will be fine with those results but if planning a science based subject may need grade 6 or B in MATH

I only did 7 gcses. Would that be a disadvantage bu any chance, I am very worried
2 8 1 7 3 6 1 5 at gcse.

The way you wrote this made me very uncomfortable.
Reply 16
Original post by OR321
The way you wrote this made me very uncomfortable.

sorry
Don't be worried. Just do your best at A Level. Most important is predicted A level grades. Ultimately, you need to persuade your teachers to have faith in you getting A's and maybe B's. I know at least some courses with Russell Group......and at least as good non Russell Group.....were giving places in clearing with the odd grade C thrown in.
Reply 18
Original post by Dexter321
Don't be worried. Just do your best at A Level. Most important is predicted A level grades. Ultimately, you need to persuade your teachers to have faith in you getting A's and maybe B's. I know at least some courses with Russell Group......and at least as good non Russell Group.....were giving places in clearing with the odd grade C thrown in.

Ok thanks
They usually look at your GCSEs in comparison to your school/ schools like you to see how well you performed compared to them. Say you went to a sh** school and did meh but the top of your class then they’ll understand. But if you go to a very high achieving school and do meh they’ll be a little worried do you understand? You’ve got every chance of getting in and doing the you want or better so don’t worry about it, just try to snash your a levels :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest