The Student Room Group

University Reference

So I’m starting uni next week, but i am planning on transferring to a different one in 2020 but was told from them that I need a reference from my tutor. How would I go about this and when shall I get my tutor to give me a reference??
Original post by OR321
So I’m starting uni next week, but i am planning on transferring to a different one in 2020 but was told from them that I need a reference from my tutor. How would I go about this and when shall I get my tutor to give me a reference??

Why are you starting a course that you don’t want to finish? That’s not a good idea.

If you’re applying to transfer then you need to talk to your university tutor to find out how long they need to provide a reference. Then make sure your application is complete and sent to them in plenty of time for them to provide the reference by the relevant ucas deadline.
Original post by PQ
Why are you starting a course that you don’t want to finish? That’s not a good idea.

If you’re applying to transfer then you need to talk to your university tutor to find out how long they need to provide a reference. Then make sure your application is complete and sent to them in plenty of time for them to provide the reference by the relevant ucas deadline.

It’s not the course, it’s the uni I don’t want to stay at. I did pretty bad at a levels but didn’t want retake.
Thanks for the rest though
Original post by OR321
It’s not the course, it’s the uni I don’t want to stay at. I did pretty bad at a levels but didn’t want retake.

Are you hoping to restart in first year at the new university?
Original post by PQ
Are you hoping to restart in first year at the new university?

Yes, Ik it sounds stupid but I put a lot of thought into it before making this decision 😂. The uni im currently at is MMU, but York/Sheffield/KCL said I can transfer
Original post by OR321
Yes, Ik it sounds stupid but I put a lot of thought into it before making this decision 😂. The uni im currently at is MMU, but York/Sheffield/KCL said I can transfer

It’s an expensive option but as long as you’ve done your research and aren’t expecting to transfer into year 2 then it’s possible.

Assuming that you aren’t applying for medicine/dentistry then your deadline is January. So I would suggest you work your arse off and make a genuine effort to get to know your tutor in your first few months of your course. Then if you ask them for a reference in November they will know you well enough and you’ll give them enough time to get a good reference.

Don’t rule out MMU though. Applying elsewhere doesn’t mean you have to burn your bridges. If you don’t find a place elsewhere or find yourself settling in and enjoying your course and university in Manchester then you don’t have to transfer. Plenty of people graduate from MMU and do very well for themselves!
Original post by OR321

Strange, I just transferred from another uni to MMU! It was a last minute call on A-level results day, but I had been having doubts throughout the first year, I’m lucky I did a foundation year, and I really didn’t like the university I was at. And I kept putting it off, because I was doubting myself. And then it was possible, last minute too!

Get it done early by the UCAS deadline as PQ says, less stress for you and that way it’s more organised. I went through clearing and the wait made me really anxious but it was worth it in the end. And if it’s meant to be it will, 🤗 if throughout your first year you like your uni then I think you can always change your mind.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by PQ
It’s an expensive option but as long as you’ve done your research and aren’t expecting to transfer into year 2 then it’s possible.

Assuming that you aren’t applying for medicine/dentistry then your deadline is January. So I would suggest you work your arse off and make a genuine effort to get to know your tutor in your first few months of your course. Then if you ask them for a reference in November they will know you well enough and you’ll give them enough time to get a good reference.

Don’t rule out MMU though. Applying elsewhere doesn’t mean you have to burn your bridges. If you don’t find a place elsewhere or find yourself settling in and enjoying your course and university in Manchester then you don’t have to transfer. Plenty of people graduate from MMU and do very well for themselves!

Original post by aspiringbiomedic
Strange, I just transferred from another uni to MMU! It was a last minute call on A-level results day, but I had been having doubts throughout the first year, I’m lucky I did a foundation year, and I really didn’t like the university I was at. And I kept putting it off, because I was doubting myself. And then it was possible, last minute too!

Get it done early by the UCAS deadline as PQ says, less stress for you and that way it’s more organised. I went through clearing and the wait made me really anxious but it was worth it in the end. And if it’s meant to be it will, 🤗 if throughout your first year you like your uni then I think you can always change your mind.

Thanks. This was very helpful :smile:

What uni did you transfer from? And how many years will you spend in uni altogether then??
Original post by OR321
What uni did you transfer from? And how many years will you spend in uni altogether then??

Only 1 year, so far altogether, the FY, you get a gift year from SFE for stuff like this. My success was also down to high foundation year results. I will start at Year 1 at my new uni as I would have at my old uni. If you’re starting year 1 again at your new uni or straight to year 2, I would not be sure how it works for you. Have you thought about it? Weigh the pros and cons.
(edited 4 years ago)
Only 1 year, so far altogether, the FY, you get a gift year from SFE for stuff like this. My success was also down to high foundation year results. I will start at Year 1 at my new uni as I would have at my old uni. If you’re starting year 1 again at your new uni or straight to year 2, I would not be sure how it works for you. Have you thought about it? Weigh the pros and cons.

The only issue that I have is that I’ll have done 4 years altogether. The issue is the student debt I’ll end up but I’ll see how it goes at MMU, if I like it then I’ll stay. What course are you doing? (Judging by your username it’s Biomedical Science??) 😂
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by OR321

What were your a level results? You could have done a foundation year at a Russel group
Original post by kat-2728
What were your a level results? You could have done a foundation year at a Russel group

BCD. I was going to do the FY at Leeds Uni but they ran out of spaces in like a few hours and I didn’t want to take a gap year. It would end up being 4 years altogether anyway so it doesn’t really matter
Original post by OR321
The only issue that I have is that I’ll have done 4 years altogether. The issue is the student debt I’ll end up but I’ll see how it goes at MMU, if I like it then I’ll stay. What course are you doing? (Judging by your username it’s Biomedical Science??) 😂

What year will you be at MMU? How have you done 4 years already 😅 and yup I am.
What year will you be at MMU? How have you done 4 years already 😅 and yup I am.

Nah. I’m starting my first year next week, doing business management.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending