The Student Room Group

University rankings

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by PQ
The guardian doesn’t use any research metrics in their rankings

Yeah I haven't checked it, CUG uses it
Original post by Mustafa0605
I wouldn’t say 75%. Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE, Durham, St Andrews are better

I agree but St. Andrews isn't Russell Group.
Original post by mnot
Not sure REF data is really a good overall ranking indicator but in the overall power ranking Bath was 35 (REF 2014) I would say 75% seems high, Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE, St Andrews, Warwick, Bristol, Notts, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham, Exeter, Southampton are all better or par. I would say its top half of RG.

Although this debate is endless... Bath is a good uni, thats all that matters

Why no KCL in that list, yet you include Leeds, Sheffield, B'ham and Soton?
Reply 63
Original post by mnot
I do look at subject specific info, but this thread is not about 1 specific subject, its a generalisation. The power rank is a good indicator of both the overall impact and the amount of research completed, which is why its often used. TBH no one on TSR really discusses specific research groups on here, and if your interested in the research uni you would probably not target Bath, there are unis with much more resources in this area, Bath is a very good uni but I would generally say is more suited to undergrad in subjects such as Maths or economics.

Economics, Business School, engineering and a few others, undergrad as well as Masters degrees
Original post by Samk32
Well so tell me why guardian and CUG use REF data in the rankings? and 2014 was not 10 years ago

2014 was published date not start of data date......Admit One is therefore correct and you again are not.
Original post by HarvestingSeason
Why no KCL in that list, yet you include Leeds, Sheffield, B'ham and Soton?

I just forgot KCL, it wasn't a finite list of this and no others, just a generalization
Original post by Samk32
Bath is better than 75% of Russel group universities. Russel group is just a group that was created in the 90s to push for funding from government back then

Amazing how many people can't spell Russell Group.
Reply 67
Original post by Dexter321
2014 was published date not start of data date......Admit One is therefore correct and you again are

What are you even talking about, look at REF 2008 and Ref2014 you will see that it is a pretty good indicator as these rankings do not fluctuate a lot, Second of all the reason why these rankings are released every 6 years is that it takes quite some time to publish a journal article.

I agree but St. Andrews isn't Russell Group.

So again He just listed 6 "better" Russel group universities and one that is not Russell group which makes Bath better than 75% of the Russel group unis what are you agreeing with? lol
Original post by mnot
I just forgot KCL, it wasn't a finite list of this and no others, just a generalization

Ah, gotcha. Just seems strange why you'd bring up 4 unis that could ostensibly be considered lower RGs (still good), yet not bring up one of the better ones.
Reply 69
Amazing how many people can't spell Russell Group.

congratulation you can spell it you are amazing
Original post by Samk32
What are you even talking about, look at REF 2008 and Ref2014 you will see that it is a pretty good indicator as these rankings do not fluctuate a lot, Second of all the reason why these rankings are released every 6 years is that it takes quite some time to publish a journal article.

So again He just listed 6 "better" Russel group universities and one that is not Russell group which makes Bath better than 75% of the Russel group unis what are you agreeing with? lol

Are you aware you're typing without finishing reading? You stated 2014 isn't a decade ago, even though Admit One correctly was referring to the data which commenced in 2008....

Re Bath, I would pick it ahead of more than half of RG for maths/finance type subjects......but I am also local to it. Tables, as I've said previously, are only one bit of info to go on.....and for Undergraduates, your tables are of less use than any other more reputable ones.
Reply 71
Are you aware you're typing without finishing reading? You stated 2014 isn't a decade ago, even though Admit One correctly was referring to the data which commenced in 2008....

Re Bath, I would pick it ahead of more than half of RG for maths/finance type subjects......but I am also local to it. Tables, as I've said previously, are only one bit of info to go on.....and for Undergraduates, your tables are of less use than any other more reputable ones.

State the "more reputable ones" I'm actually curious
Original post by Samk32

That’s not what drove the interval between REF 2014 (which assessed publications published between 2008 and 2013 - so is looking at research that’s a decade or more old) and the RAE 2008. There were very large fluctuations between the 2008 and 2014 assessment rounds both within individual subjects and across entire universities.
Reply 73
Original post by PQ
That’s not what drove the interval between REF 2014 (which assessed publications published between 2008 and 2013 - so is looking at research that’s a decade or more old) and the RAE 2008. There were very large fluctuations between the 2008 and 2014 assessment rounds both within individual subjects and across entire universities.

Ok Mr PQ, enlighten us with the method of choosing a good university since you do not agree with anything that has been said here
Original post by Samk32
Ok Mr PQ, enlighten us with the method of choosing a good university since you do not agree with anything that has been said here

A) I’m not a Mr
B) decide what is important to you as an individual (that might include things that can be measured but it might be less quantifiable qualities), find a university that meets your preferences that you’re capable of getting an offer for, double check that you like the location/environment, profit.

League tables can be useful sources of data if your important priorities are quantifiable.
Original post by Samk32
congratulation you can spell it you are amazing

I think what you meant to type was, "Congratulations. You can spell it. You are amazing". At least you're now able to do so yourself now.

Re more reputable ones, I think you don't understand what I've typed for the last several hours. Things like, "Tables are only one bit of info to go on....". At what stage, anywhere, have I discussed where is more reputable than where? I'm now going to retire from this thread as OP is not going to be getting any benefit from it, and would prefer to watch football than help you understand.
Reply 76
I think what you meant to type was, "Congratulations. You can spell it. You are amazing". At least you're now able to do so yourself now.

Re more reputable ones, I think you don't understand what I've typed for the last several hours. Things like, "Tables are only one bit of info to go on....". At what stage, anywhere, have I discussed where is more reputable than where? I'm now going to retire from this thread as OP is not going to be getting any benefit from it, and would prefer to watch football than help you understand.

go and watch football then because you don't bring anything useful to this thread, you've just said bunch of nonsense and that's it. you can't even back up any arguments what are those "reputable ones"?
Reply 77
Original post by PQ
A) I’m not a Mr
B) decide what is important to you as an individual (that might include things that can be measured but it might be less quantifiable qualities), find a university that meets your preferences that you’re capable of getting an offer for, double check that you like the location/environment, profit.

League tables can be useful sources of data if your important priorities are quantifiable.

yeah and do you think when I say look at Ref2014 or sort it by the tariff entries I mean it as if don't look at anything else. There is more factors that have to be taken into account when choosing a university.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I take rankings with a massive dose of salt. The very fact that they differ so much shows how inaccurate they can be.

For instance the norrington is the ranking system for Oxford colleges. Yet these rankings can differ considerably every year, as the student intake is constantly changing.

My mantra is the course is king. Which course do you prefer? Go along to some open days and speak to the students and tutors, if you have the opportunity . Go along to the subject talks too. London unis were an affordability issue for my son

How was your date with that guy
Original post by Samk32
yeah and do you think when I say look at Ref2014 or sort it by the tariff entries I mean it as if don't look at anything else. There is more factors that have to be taken into account when choosing a university.

I think when you say
Original post by Samk32)

Just filter the cug rankings by the ucas points column and see where the “smartest” students go to also worth looking for the specific course/department rather than university as a whole

That you’re misleading people about what tariff scores measure and stating that “just” that one measure is the only thing any applicant like the OP should consider.

Likewise when you push REF rankings using very old research scores on undergraduates you’re misrepresenting their importance to the undergraduate experience.

You’ve shown no insight into the nuances of different metrics or the importance of non quantifiable influences. You’ve just blundered through the thread throwing out multiple misinformed opinions and misleading information about the underlying data in various rankings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending