The Student Room Group

Access to HE Science - Optometry

I am joining an access course in science to pursue Optometry. Manchester accept this with 45 distinctions. How difficult is this to achieve, has anyone else done the access to science and can you show me any examples of assignments and any recommendations for books i may need. Also, has anyone else gone through this route to do Optometry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hal1234
I am joining an access course in science to pursue Optometry. Manchester accept this with 45 distinctions. How difficult is this to achieve, has anyone else done the access to science and can you show me any examples of assignments and any recommendations for books i may need. Also, has anyone else gone through this route to do Optometry

Max you'll get is 3 distinctions my friend and an a level alongside
But good optometry
Reply 2
sorry what? i’ll only get 3 distinctions out of 45?
Reply 3
Original post by MittyAhm3d
But good optometry

There are many who have got 45 Distinctions. It's apparently just a case of having the time to get the assignments up to the level of Distinction. It's not luck-based like exams tend toward.

But good optometry

Please don't comment on things you don't have any knowledge of or experience with just to get a post in.
But good optometry

You're thinking of Btecs, not the Access to HE course
Original post by hal1234

Oh my mistake thought you were doing level 3 applied science, but access course is good similar to a foundation year
Oh my mistake thought you were doing level 3 applied science, but access course is good similar to a foundation year

Yeah if OP puts the work in they can easily do well. But getting 45 distinctions is getting a perfect grade in each one. I don't recommend applying there, I would apply to other Optometry schools in the area.
Uni of Portsmouth the best one for optometry

What's that based on?
Reply 10

i’m waiting to stay local so manchester or bradford for me
Original post by hal1234

Huddersfield has started an Optometry school.
You could also add Aston which isn't that far away.
Bradford college runs an opthalmic dispensing course, which after year 1 you can do optometry if you get a certain percentage.
Same for Biomed at Bradford instead of clinical sciences.
You could also add Sheffield Orthoptics too.
I've just been told that the Optometry course is cancelled?

They've said I'll be moved to Mpharm
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Avani priti
I've just been told that the Optometry course is cancelled?

They've said I'll be moved to Mpharm

where?
Portsmouth
I’m a current optometry student at Portsmouth University and entered with an Access to HE. I had a conditional offer of 30 distinctions and 15 Merits, however I ended up achieving the full 45 distinctions. It’s manageable however during the application process I found I was treated less favourably than those with Alevels by certain universities. In total I got offers from 3 of my 5 choices which still isn’t bad. If you want more information feel free to message me.
Reply 16
Original post by Riley1992
I’m a current optometry student at Portsmouth University and entered with an Access to HE. I had a conditional offer of 30 distinctions and 15 Merits, however I ended up achieving the full 45 distinctions. It’s manageable however during the application process I found I was treated less favourably than those with Alevels by certain universities. In total I got offers from 3 of my 5 choices which still isn’t bad. If you want more information feel free to message me.

Hi, did you apply and get a response from the uni of manchester. What was that like
I didn’t apply for Manchester - I applied for Portsmouth, Plymouth, Hertfordshire, Cardiff and Glasgow. I got offers from the first three. Cardiff gave no reason for the decision and Glasgow declined me on the basis I didnt have an ‘A’ within Physics at GCSE level. A bit irrelevant/petty imo given I did my GCSEs over 10 years ago when I applied. 😂

It might be worth getting some experience in an opticians to also aid your application if you haven’t already. What are your reserve choices?
Original post by hal1234

Try Sheffield uni
Access to HE Science has a maximum of 45 graded credits, which means for each graded module you will need a Distinction overall to achieve 45 distinctions.

I know people doing this access to HE course who are planning to go do Optometry and they are not getting all distinctions.... some, but not all.

So far I have 12 credits at Distinction and 6 at Merit! That is for 4 modules, 2 each in Biology and Chemistry. My modules worth 6 credits I got Distinctions for but the 2 modules worth 3 credits each I got one distinction and 2 Merits so came out with Merit overall :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending