The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2020!

Hi Everyone,

Application season is upon us once again!

Feel free to use this thread to ask questions and share experiences throughout the application process.

Good luck to all!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone have any past experience of a winter vac scheme? I had one this summer but did not get the TC, hence the reason I am trying to apply for a winter one.
Reply 2
Anybody done the situational judgment test for A&O?
Reply 3
Is this the first year that Linklaters has introduced the Capp Online Assessment? Does anyone know anything more about it or how they interpret your scores?
Original post by 909202
Is this the first year that Linklaters has introduced the Capp Online Assessment? Does anyone know anything more about it or how they interpret your scores?

whats the capp online assessment? Did that replace their Watson Glaser test?
Reply 5
Original post by Blancosdos
whats the capp online assessment? Did that replace their Watson Glaser test?

Nope, they've added an additional test. If you go onto their careers page, they've said that you need to complete the Capp assessment by the deadline and apparently no practise is needed for it. Everything about the Watson Glaser remains the same.
Reply 6
Here for the grind over the 4 months. Good luck all.
Hey guys. Had a look around today and it seems like most firms vac scheme cycle begins at the start of October. This is a little later than I was anticipating. Is this right?
I believe you are correct the only ones I have seen open so far are A&O, Ashurst and Jones Day anyone have any others that are open?
I only have ABB so I'm disregarding those guys haha.
Original post by 909202
Hi Everyone,

Feel free to use this thread to ask questions and share experiences throughout the application process.

Good luck to all!

Made a start on my first application today. Good luck everyone!
Original post by JohanGRK
gl mate

It'll be over before you know it

Thank you!
Original post by LpoolLawStudent
Thank you!

Good luck mate, I'm also at liverpool uni atm.
Original post by 909202
Hi Everyone,

Good luck to all!

Hi! I have a BBC at a-levels (Don't know what happened) but I worked really hard and secured a 2:1 in my first year. I have legal work experience in two different countries (no vacation schemes tho) and a few leadership positions at university.

Do you think I should still apply to firms like A&O, Linklaters, Jones Day etc? Or not waste my time on an application that will be rejected and aim lower
Personally wouldn't waste my time with Jones Day as they literally stipulate AAB minimum iirc. As for the other two you mention, many of the magic circle firms ostensibly have no minimum A level requirement, but the reality I fear is that they hire from the top tranche of Russell Group unis and Oxbridge. I am not going to waste my time applying to them- quality applications take ages and and frankly if my ABB is going to be tossed in the bin immediately, I'd rather have spent my time applying to other great firms who might give me the time of day.

Just my two cents.
Original post by UncertainGrad
Personally wouldn't waste my time with Jones Day as they literally stipulate AAB minimum iirc. As for the other two you mention, many of the magic circle firms ostensibly have no minimum A level requirement, but the reality I fear is that they hire from the top tranche of Russell Group unis and Oxbridge. I am not going to waste my time applying to them- quality applications take ages and and frankly if my ABB is going to be tossed in the bin immediately, I'd rather have spent my time applying to other great firms who might give me the time of day.

Just my two cents.

I have ABB myself and I agree and disagree with this. Some firms can be quite strict and will definitely cut us off. The poster above with BBC will highly likely be cut off without mitigating circumstances.

But, a lot of firms work on a scoring system and you can make up points with firsts, well written application, etc. I think if you’re genuinely interested in a firm that has AAB+ requirements then you should go for it. But as you said it can be annoying to spend time on an application to immediately get rejected. Also there’s no harm in asking grad recruitment for their thoughts.
Original post by UncertainGrad
Good luck mate, I'm also at liverpool uni atm.

Sorry, I'm actually at York. I just live in Liverpool from I'm not at Uni. I really ought to change the name, because I realise it's confusing! I am applying to some Liverpool based firms/offices though (DLA Piper, DWF).
Original post by MajorJohan
I believe you are correct the only ones I have seen open so far are A&O, Ashurst and Jones Day anyone have any others that are open?

Hogan Lovells will open next Monday!
Reply 18
Hi, has anyone submitted an application for the Linklaters vacation scheme? If yes, how did you find the new skill set assessment (in place of the typical application questions)?

I have yet to complete my application and I am curious about this new format.
Reply 19
I see. Do you feel like it is something you can/should prepare for prior to taking the assessment?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending