The Student Room Group

Talk of the Toon: A Second Year Study Blog

Scroll to see replies

You've been busy :eek: Glad you had a good summer!
Original post by Lemur14
You've been busy :eek: Glad you had a good summer!

Certainly have :colondollar: hope all your preparations are going well!
Original post by Protostar
Certainly have :colondollar: hope all your preparations are going well!

Thanks :h: Kind of not done much yet, but I haven't got anything else to procrastinate it with now (other than the usual TSR and stuff) so hopefully stuff might happen now :dontknow:
Original post by Lemur14
Thanks :h: Kind of not done much yet, but I haven't got anything else to procrastinate it with now (other than the usual TSR and stuff) so hopefully stuff might happen now :dontknow:

I guess you've still got a while before you move? Plenty of time to sort everything :yep:
I guess you've still got a while before you move? Plenty of time to sort everything :yep:

Yeah, nearly 3 weeks! Think that's why it doesn't seem particularly real yet...
Original post by Lemur14
Yeah, nearly 3 weeks! Think that's why it doesn't seem particularly real yet...

I remember the feeling tbh! Things will probably ramp up in the last week or so before you move :yep: the moment I was left alone in my flat as my family drove back home was the first time it felt properly real for me :tongue:
I remember the feeling tbh! Things will probably ramp up in the last week or so before you move :yep: the moment I was left alone in my flat as my family drove back home was the first time it felt properly real for me :tongue:

iPad or laptop? 🤔

Trying to decide and need advice from someone studying maths.
Original post by MajorFader
iPad or laptop? 🤔

Trying to decide and need advice from someone studying maths.

I personally don't like ipads so have always used a laptop. I can only speak for myself but I haven't even really used it that much - mainly for doing questions from to save paper, and to do my computing work when i haven't managed to get it all finished in the classes. In lectures I handwrite everything because it's annoying having to find all of the symbols and do formatting quickly, but I suppose with an ipad that would be easier as you could get one of those pens for it :dontknow:

From what I've seen others on my course do, almost everyone handwrites lecture notes - some type them up on a laptop later but a lot don't. A very small minority take notes on an ipad/tablet. Computing is a compulsory part of my course so a PC/laptop is almost essential tbh.

Yeah I'm fairly sure it'll be the same for me, seems so far away!
Good luck!
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Good luck!

Thanks! Would you like adding to the tag list? :smile:

hey everyone :smile: hope you've all had a good week! my week's been quite boring tbh, had a busy ish weekend but this week i've barely left my bed never mind my house :colondollar: but anyway lets get into it

saturday
so I didn't get ready until quite late in the day, like half 2 or something, but when i was finally ready i walked into town to put some money that my grandma gave me into my bank account, and then i went to starbucks to meet my sister out of work - i went in to get a drink while i waited for her to finish but she finished early so i basically got a drink for no reason which was irritating as i didn't really want one anyway and i had barely any money. i got an iced pumpkin spiced latte cos i really liked the psl i had last year and i much prefer iced coffee to hot so i thought it'd be tasty, but it wasn't :frown: i was also really annoyed as i'd specifically asked for no whipped cream and they put whipped cream on :angry: only drank like half of it on the walk home, it really wasn't nice so i didn't want it. oh also the cup was cracked so it was spilling everywhere, overall a bad experience lol. when i got home my mum asked if i wanted to go out with her for dinner and drinks, which sounded nice so i said yes. we went to giraffe and actually had a really nice time - we both had 3 courses cos their set menu was a really good price, but i was so full afterwards it was quite uncomfortable lol. we both had pink gin & lemonade to drink - was mum's first time trying pink gin and she was a fan so i've raised her well (:tongue:) i had vegetable gyoza for starter and mum had baked hummus - we both tried each others and they were both lovely, though the amount of hummus my mum was given was absurd :lol: for mains we both had the spicy rice bowl, i had mine with tofu and no egg, and mum had hers with chicken. i tried sriracha (is that how you spell it?) for the first time and i liked it! so i poured some on top. it was a really yummy dish but there was so much of it, didn't even come close to finishing it lol. then for dessert we both had churros cos they're like the best thing ever, mum loved it so much she even drank her remaining chocolate sauce :lol: after we'd finished we slowly walked to the road and got a taxi home where we both nursed our food babies, watched some telly and then went to bed :yawn:

food pics

Spoiler

sunday
on sunday I registered to do online tutoring and booked my video interview. it's on the 22nd so I have some time to prep for it, which I'll definitely need. I'm really nervous actually! i thought to test myself I should do a gcse maths paper to make sure I remember everything and I got 72/80 which isn't bad. i'll brush up on the stuff i got wrong and hopefully it'll all be ok! other than that I didn't do a right lot lol

monday
on monday I just chilled in bed all day. we got our timetable for induction week and everything is on the tuesday so that makes things quite easy. I will have to reschedule an orthodontist appointment I have scheduled on that day but that shouldn't be a problem.

tuesday
tuesday I actually went outside :lol: only to tesco to get a couple of bits but at least I got a bit of fresh air. unfortunately my Tesco is down a big slope from my house so you have to come up a massive set of steps on the way back and I had to sit down when I got to the top of them and have a big drink of water as I was so out of breath lmao, I need to get fitter :colondollar: mum was happy I picked her up some anadin joint pain tablets as her wrist has been very sore lately. I'm such a good daughter :angel: after I got home I spent another few hours in bed before watching bake off :gah: actually keeping up with it this year!

wednesday
wednesday was a weird day. i felt like I had more energy than usual so I gave my room a much needed tidy and opened my curtains and window to let some fresh air in. but other than that I didn't do much. played quite a bit of sims and other games but that was about it :colondollar:

thursday
on thursday I checked my bank to find that my deposit from my first year flat had finally been returned to me, after a month and a half and lots of pestering :woo: so since I have that money and also the money I got paid for the festival work, I'm finally comfortable money-wise for the first time since finishing uni for the summer :colondollar: which is a nice feeling! I spent pretty much the whole day playing sims lol, barely left my room at all oooops. watched taskmaster in the evening with my tea to start catching up as I'm quite behind! I love that show. ended up staying up quite late but then when I tried to sleep I just couldn't for ages :frown: had many bad nights sleep this week tbh, keep waking up in the night and kept having bad dreams the other night :frown: hopefully it goes back to normal soon!

friday (yesterday)
yesterday I chilled all morning before getting ready at about midday and then in the afternoon headed to my grandma's house to see her and have dinner there. we had a nice catch up even though it had only been a week since I'd last seen her :lol: and we had a nice tea of pasta bake, garlic bread and salad :smile: we were gonna have pudding too but I was really really full from dinner so I said I'd take it home and have it another time (sharing with my mum and sister). got home and they both wanted some straight away lol so I heated it up and we all had some, I could only eat a tiny bit of mine as I was still super full and it was very sickly so I gave my sister the rest of mine. then last night I just spent a lot of time chilling with my sister and watching tiktoks lol so that was fun :tongue:

today
today my sister and I are gonna walk down to the hairdressers and try to book an appointment for before I go back to uni (which might be cutting it a bit fine but I don't think our hairdresser's is that popular tbh lol. so I'll have to get ready quite soon and go there as my sister starts work at 3. my sister's laptop has finally died so I'm currently in the process of resetting my old one to give to her as she needs it more than I do! but it's taking foreverrr so she might be waiting a while :colondollar: then when I get back I'm not sure what I'll do.

being back home has been really boring, most of the friends who would actually invite me out have gone back to uni and my other group who I did think I was closer to haven't invited me to anything - and I've seen on the snapmaps that they've been going out for drinks and things so it's a bit upsetting but oh well lol. at least this time next week I'll be back in newcastle with my best pals so I have that to look forward to :smile:

hopefully this next week will be less lazy and I'll actually leave the house more lol, we shall see. I go back to ncl on thursday and I really can't wait :biggrin: so the next time I update I'll be there! also idk about anyone else but notifications have stopped working on the tsr app and it's really annoying me :grumble: so I hope that gets fixed soon as I don't want to miss stuff

hope everyone's had a good week, until next time :wavey:
let me know if you'd like to be added or removed from the tag list :smile:

tags

sorry about the starbucks :frown: never been a fan anyway, too expensive for a broke student like me :hide:
I've had so many bad nights sleep too recently! I keep waking up in the middle of the night and I don't know what it is but it's so peculiar :s-smilie:
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
sorry about the starbucks :frown: never been a fan anyway, too expensive for a broke student like me :hide:
I've had so many bad nights sleep too recently! I keep waking up in the middle of the night and I don't know what it is but it's so peculiar :s-smilie:

it really is my weakness :frown: need to stop! though I now own a milk kettle so I can essentially make my own at home, and I have a reusable cup of course so I should be able to stop going so much this year!
omg what a strange coincidence :headfire: hope your sleep improves soon :sadnod: are you back in st a's yet? think I remember seeing on insta but my memory is shoddy :colondollar:
Going outside is overrated. Unbiased opinion :ninja:

Churros :ahee: Sriracha! :ahee: Pasta bake :ahee:

Those steps on the way back up from the shops sound like my idea of a nightmare :afraid:

Hope you have a good week this coming week, lovely :penguinhug:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Going outside is overrated. Unbiased opinion :ninja:

Churros :ahee: Sriracha! :ahee: Pasta bake :ahee:

Those steps on the way back up from the shops sound like my idea of a nightmare :afraid:

Hope you have a good week this coming week, lovely :penguinhug:

:lol: haven't had any reason to go out so I just kinda haven't :colondollar:

the food was good tbf :smile:

they really are awful :sadnod:

thanks lovely :lovehug:
Sounds pretty like my week, only left the house for a food shop and to go to IKEA :lol: And bed was pretty much the place I've spent my days I didn't go out :oops:
Glad you got your money! And hope you manage to get your hair appointment :yep:
it really is my weakness :frown: need to stop! though I now own a milk kettle so I can essentially make my own at home, and I have a reusable cup of course so I should be able to stop going so much this year!
omg what a strange coincidence :headfire: hope your sleep improves soon :sadnod: are you back in st a's yet? think I remember seeing on insta but my memory is shoddy :colondollar:

I'd have asked for my money back for that drink - you didn't get what you asked for!

If you are tutoring the new Maths GCSE then do make sure you know the specification well as I think you would have done the old one?
Original post by Muttley79
I'd have asked for my money back for that drink - you didn't get what you asked for!

If you are tutoring the new Maths GCSE then do make sure you know the specification well as I think you would have done the old one?

I would have but it was really busy and my sister was basically dragging me out of there :emo:

that's one reason why I did a new paper - a lot seemed similar but i'll definitely brush up on the spec and make sure I know it all well. yeah I was the last year of the old spec - no numbered gcses for me :tongue:
Original post by Lemur14
Sounds pretty like my week, only left the house for a food shop and to go to IKEA :lol: And bed was pretty much the place I've spent my days I didn't go out :oops:
Glad you got your money! And hope you manage to get your hair appointment :yep:

glad I'm not the only one :colondollar: I love ikea :gah:
I hope so too! been exactly a year to the day since I last had it cut :vroam:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending