The Student Room Group

Is it acceptable to take your partner to a restaurant and then refuse to pay?

After the meal is concluded by saying to the waiter that it wasn't quite up to scratch?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pleasantri
After the meal is concluded by saying to the waiter that it wasn't quite up to scratch?

So your plan is to eat the whole meal, and then complain about it in the hopes of getting it for free?

Urgh, don't be that person.
Don't be a Karen.
If you can’t afford/don’t want to pay when you go out to eat, then don’t. Plain and simple.
Not acceptable

Only i you haven't eaten it.

If you are planning to do this before you get there, which clearly you are, you are attempting to obtain goods by deception which is theft and fraud.

So obviously no it is not acceptable- but unless you are an idiot you know that already.
(edited 4 years ago)
No, it's not okay.

I was refunded a meal that I disliked in a restaurant (even though I said I'd pay - it wasn't their fault I disliked the sauce) but it was evidently uneaten!
No, that isn't okay.
Reply 8
No, don't be a cheapo.

If you can't afford it go somewhere cheaper or have a night in. If you're trying to impress a girl, the effort of a nice cooked meal might be worth way more.
Nope.
But the restaurant he likes is expensive and out of my budget.
If I was dating someone who tried to pull such a stunt in a restaurant, I'd dump them.

it's more embarrassing that you would refuse to pay. How can you eat it and then complain and demand a refund.
Cringe.
your making the girl uncomfortable and if you eat the food then it would be obvious what your doing. order something cheap lol

Then tell him it's out of your budget. Not everyone has the same amount of disposable income.

Your plan wouldn't work anyway as anyone who's worked in the food service industry knows that if someone's eaten all of their meal and then complained, they're just trying to get a free meal or money off the bill. If there's something genuinely wrong with the meal that warrants a complaint then it would addressed a couple of minutes after starting to eat so it could be sorted out there and then.
Original post by Anonymous
your making the girl uncomfortable and if you eat the food then it would be obvious what your doing. order something cheap lol

this assumption is funny

I think I remember reading a BBC article ages ago saying that if the food isn't up to scratch, you can leave a written letter with the payment you think it's worth and walk out. You have to pay something and give reasons but like you could eat that meal for a penny.
Reply 18
Next you’ll try leaving a hair or something in the leftovers and try to weasel out of paying that way.

Then tell him that. Don't go somewhere you can't afford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending