The Student Room Group

Making friends at uni without a phone

the title says it, I dont have a phone rn (for personal reasons) but i was wondering it its gonna make to very very difficult to make friends and if people will find it or even me wird! Please give advice :smile:
Reply 1
Friends aside I think it will make your time at university (work wise) very complicated, I can honestly say that if I didn't have access to a smartphone this year I would have really struggled
Original post by RomNoob
Friends aside I think it will make your time at university (work wise) very complicated, I can honestly say that if I didn't have access to a smartphone this year I would have really struggled

may I ask in what sense? like how do you usually use your phone for your studdies?

Also do you have advice for freshers and not having a phone, do you think it would be a big deal, and how much would it impact making freinds and meeting people??
will you be getting a phone or are you not planning on getting one at all?
Original post by OR321
will you be getting a phone or are you not planning on getting one at all?

probably not till 2020...
You do not need a phone.
Original post by Aspiringdentistt
probably not till 2020...

I think it’ll become extremely difficult for you, maybe I’m just saying this because Ik im obsessed with my phone, but still
Reply 7
Same
Reply 8
may I ask in what sense? like how do you usually use your phone for your studdies?

Also do you have advice for freshers and not having a phone, do you think it would be a big deal, and how much would it impact making freinds and meeting people??

In terms of active studying, I used it in/between lectures to look up something I might have not understood or if something interesting popped up where I'm sure 9/10 times I would have just forgotten about it. What I really relied on it for though was emails (communicating with lecturers, placement, shadowing, etc) and more importantly keeping in contact during group presentations as everything was mostly done on whatsapp (course groupchats as well).

During freshers I think it might make it more difficult for you to keep in touch with people you meet since you wont be able to connect on social medias for the most part people just exchange snapchats, instagram, those sorts of things. I would also really recommend you if you go out on a night go with people you trust to stay with you and you to to stay with them in case of an emergency.

TL'DR If you can afford a phone you should get one even if its a basic one, there are plenty of good quality androids you can find out there that will do you really well!
the title says it, I dont have a phone rn (for personal reasons) but i was wondering it its gonna make to very very difficult to make friends and if people will find it or even me wird! Please give advice :smile:

It's unusual but not impossible to make friends if you don't have a phone. Will you have a laptop/tablet that gives you access to social media, as you can use this to keep in contact with friends. If you don't want to get a smartphone, you can just buy a basic mobile in case you are out and about and need to contact someone urgently.
It’s much easier with a mobile phone I get you kind of don’t want to say online why you don’t want one. But it’s an important thing to have at uni you don’t need to spend a lot of money some of the cheap Samsung ones are very good good luck at uni.
Hard not impossible

Quick Reply

Latest