The Student Room Group

The Manchester Accent.

Quick question.. if someone with a “common” Manchester accent spoke to you or you heard them speak, would you automatically assume they are a chav? Even when presented well?
I unfortunately have the “chavvy” sounding Manchester accent, not the posh one, and when I go on my travels to different cities that have a “posh” accent I feel like if people here me talk, they pull a face! I think it is quite funny.
1. No I wouldn't think that.
2. Any potential employer would be acting illegally if they discriminated against you for an accent under the equalities act (if that's what you're worrying about).
3. Don't allow other peoples opinions of you to determine your reality.
Reply 2
No, but I'm a (common) Scouser and a couple of my best mates are (common) Mancs

I get it all the time, though, with my accent. So I relate
Reply 3
Original post by unblessedcoffee
2. Any potential employer would be acting illegally if they discriminated against you for an accent under the equalities act (if that's what you're worrying about).

Proving it is the problem. I have no doubt it happens
Original post by gjd800
Proving it is the problem. I have no doubt it happens

"Thing is illegal. Therefore it must be happening all the time."
???????????

Regardless, it's not something I would even think about when meeting someone and I barely have any accent despite being from Yorkshire.
Reply 5
Original post by unblessedcoffee
"Thing is illegal. Therefore it must be happening all the time."
???????????

Regardless, it's not something I would even think about when meeting someone and I barely have any accent despite being from Yorkshire.

Smart. But that's not what I actually said or implied.

My point is that something's being illegal in this manner is of scant consequence, and employers sometimes do judge you on it regardless of what the law states

Ye won't experience it if you only have a slight accent (or none at all)
(edited 4 years ago)
This is a good watch and one I can relate to... I have a thick Yorkshire accent and was judged at my Russell Group uni... and as a teacher I’m even judged by the kids I teach (as I now live in a different part of the country).

https://youtu.be/XH1sqocxOCg
Reply 7
Original post by lucyddf72
This is a good watch and one I can relate to... I have a thick Yorkshire accent and was judged at my Russell Group uni... and as a teacher I’m even judged by the kids I teach (as I now live in a different part of the country).

https://youtu.be/XH1sqocxOCg

Yep. I teach at an RG institution and I have had grief in the past about my accent; it's an unfortunate fact that this happens.
Is that grief from colleagues or students.... or both?
Reply 9
Original post by lucyddf72
Is that grief from colleagues or students.... or both?

Unfortunately both

Students are easy enough to shoot down. Staff... not so much (at least if you want to keep your job). More pronounced at conferences, especially in philosophy which is still very much populated by old poshos
(edited 4 years ago)
You could try soften it a bit and sound more like prof Brian Cox... I think southerners find him acceptable.

The equalities act creates protected categories; age, race, sex, marital status etc.
Regional accents aren't covered (at least for private sector employers)
Original post by Joinedup
You could try soften it a bit and sound more like prof Brian Cox... I think southerners find him acceptable.

The equalities act creates protected categories; age, race, sex, marital status etc.
Regional accents aren't covered (at least for private sector employers)

I’m hoping this is a vague attempt at satire.
Original post by Paige26xx
Quick question.. if someone with a “common” Manchester accent spoke to you or you heard them speak, would you automatically assume they are a chav? Even when presented well?
I unfortunately have the “chavvy” sounding Manchester accent, not the posh one, and when I go on my travels to different cities that have a “posh” accent I feel like if people here me talk, they pull a face! I think it is quite funny.

I find the Manc accent slightly irritating, but not specifically chavvy.

If your accent is making people cringe, work on softening it. The biggest issue with some of these accents/dialects is how lazily they pronounce words, so take care to not swallow words.

I'm also northern (couple of miles north of Blackpool) and I also have a fairly thick accent - but I've worked hard on improving my speech over the years, because I'm a stammerer too and needed to overcome it. The upshot of that is that I now have an accent somewhere between RP and Lancashire, which probably sounds artificial to everyone else, but IDGAF.

Quick Reply

Latest