The Student Room Group

Johnson to increase post study visa time to encourage Indian applications to UK unis

What do UK students going to unis is the next 1-3 years think about this? Medicine may become even more competitive as it's cheaper for the NHS to just hire a fully trained doctor/nurse/GP from abroad than to train a home student.
The government plans to take a skill based approach to increasing visas and that's what Asians (namely, Indians, Chinese, Japanese and Koreans) usually do- doctors, IT (espectially Indians for tech), engineers, economists.
The cap on skilled work visas will be removed to aim to bring in 600,000 international students and workers in annually.
Opinions (especially students)
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS
What do UK students going to unis is the next 1-3 years think about this? Medicine may become even more competitive as it's cheaper for the NHS to just hire a fully trained doctor/nurse/GP from abroad than to train a home student.
The government plans to take a skill based approach to increasing visas and that's what Asians (namely, Indians, Chinese, Japanese and Koreans) usually do- doctors, IT (espectially Indians for tech), engineers, economists.
The cap on skilled work visas will be removed to aim to bring in 600,000 international students and workers in annually.
Opinions (especially students)

There are serious issues with this proposal but they are not the ones you highlight. This is nothing to do with letting in graduates of foreign universities. UK medical schools have a very small number of places for overseas students.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
That will please the 'take back control of our borders' crowd.
Reply 3
Original post by nulli tertius
There are serious issues with this proposal but they are not the ones you highlight. This is nothing to do with letting in graduates of foreign universities. UK medical schools have a very small number of places for overseas students.

I'm aware of that. I'm talking about the jobs. It's cheaper for the government to hire an already trained doctor than to train and then hire. I know this because I've seen it. A lot of my doctors have been asian (especially Indian) and none of them learnt medicine here. Given the dearth of medical staff in the NHS and the high cost and time period to train a doctor (and average of £200 000 per person) it's already relatively easy for foreign doctors (not medicine students) to get jobs here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending