The Student Room Group

changing courses at uni after first term

Hey Im about to go to university for physics but Im unsure whether my career lies in the subject so I have started to look at more vocational but similar subjects such as engineering. I believe it would be too much of an extreme decision to take a gap year or go through clearing and would like to take some time to decide whilst knowing I have a secured place at a good uni doing physics.

I believe I want to stay at uni doing physics at least until the end of the first term and then decide/reapply over Christmas holidays. Therefore I was wondering whether top unis such as bath,bristol or birmingham would be against accepting someone who has withdrawn from a course and is reapplying?

Any advice for someone in my situation from someone who has been in my position or otherwise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey Im about to go to university for physics but Im unsure whether my career lies in the subject so I have started to look at more vocational but similar subjects such as engineering. I believe it would be too much of an extreme decision to take a gap year or go through clearing and would like to take some time to decide whilst knowing I have a secured place at a good uni doing physics.

I believe I want to stay at uni doing physics at least until the end of the first term and then decide/reapply over Christmas holidays. Therefore I was wondering whether top unis such as bath,bristol or birmingham would be against accepting someone who has withdrawn from a course and is reapplying?

Any advice for someone in my situation from someone who has been in my position or otherwise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

a gap year isn't an extreme decision hahahahahaha.

But yes as far as I know those unis would take you. What grades did you get? I'm guessing youd be applying to restart in first year? not move straight onto 2nd year
Reply 2
For me a gap year is because I’ve only just started having doubts so can’t decide whether I’m just nervous about uni or it’s genuinely be disinterest for the course/uni.Regarding grades I got A*s in maths, chemistry, bio and EPQ and then an A in physics. Do I have to reapply for the first year if I was transferring from physics to engineering? I don’t mind doing this I just want to know if it'd be possible
There is a grace period (6 weeks at my university) in some (If not all) university’s where you can switch course if you feel your on the wrong course as long as your new course has space on it.
Reply 4
I’m pretty sure there aren’t any vacancies for the engineering course at my university so I think I would be forced to reapply. I’m just afraid that I’ll be too scared to actually chill out and enjoy the uni as there’s a strong possibility I may have to go somewhere else. Does anyone know if these nerves/fears are less severe after settling in?
I’m pretty sure there aren’t any vacancies for the engineering course at my university so I think I would be forced to reapply. I’m just afraid that I’ll be too scared to actually chill out and enjoy the uni as there’s a strong possibility I may have to go somewhere else. Does anyone know if these nerves/fears are less severe after settling in?

Would you try to switch uni in the first few weeks? It sounds like you are just overthinking it because you are nervous. I wouldn't worry too much g.

you'll probably be fine chill out who knows you may really enjoy your course and you could always do a masters in engineering to quote Oasis you gotta roll with it these doubts are normal. You will be fine your course lends it's self to engineering really well and you might be lucky at your uni people do drop out in the first few weeks who knows one of those might be an engineer.

Quick Reply

Latest